Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Need a centre half

edited January 2011 in General Charlton
Hopefully a late signing tonight?

Comments

• Options
    need a right back whos level is above the conference too.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]need a right back whos level is above the conference too.

Francis is good enough for now.......

We need a pacey centre half don't help when we have the two slowest centre backs in League one.
  • Options
    Francis Dailey Fry Bessone

???
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DiscoCAFC[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]need a right back whos level is above the conference too.

We need a pacey centre half don't help when we have the two slowest centre backs in League one.

bit harsh on Dailly I think
  • Options
    I'd rather a creative midfielder. There surely aren't many quick centre backs in this league. As for right back we have two promising players in Solly and Jenkinson.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]Francis Dailey Fry Bessone

???

Thought Fry's loan does not end until February?
  • Options
    I'd rather have both ;-)
  • Options
    Yes, a bit harsh on Dailly. Add Llera and we have the three slowest centre halves in the league :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I'd rather a creative midfielder. There surely aren't many quick centre backs in this league. As for right back we have two promising players in Solly and Jenkinson.

Make you right Scoham. I have a feeling though CP is already tucked up in bed and looking forward to tomorrow's game and will worry about new faces when the craziness of today has passed. Would be handy if they issued a statement saying that's all for us this window but I suppose things can change quickly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]Francis Dailey Fry Bessone

???

Thought Fry's loan does not end until February?

The loan of West Ham United defender Matt Fry at The Valley has been extended until February 5th.

The Addicks agreed the extension with the Premier League Hammers on Thursday morning, so the 20-year-old will now be eligible to feature in the club's FA Cup third-round tie against Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane on Sunday
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]

Not being harsh on Dailly at all.

I just feel it don't work with Dailly and Doherty on the same team. I always believed we need two centre half's that are different and can link together well. It worked well with Rufus and Costa and they were two different players.

Dailly and Doherty are just too similar.
  • Options
    yeah both too slow..
  • Options
    which one is it!!!! ex scottish international or doc promoted with norwich last season!!!!
  • Options
    20 mins left, can't see any more coming tonight. Loan window doesn't close till March? Think we'll bring some in on loan instead.
  • Options
    Team-mates said Bobby Moore was the slowest pro footballer they'd ever seen. He was also one of the best 3 or 4 CBs I've ever seen. Pace isn't everything in a CB: intelligence is better!
  • Options
    It's not just the running speed though. Doc's reactions are so slooooooooooow. He's given away a number of goals by being slower to react than the opposing forward.
  • Options
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: DiscoCAFC[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Mike[/cite]need a right back whos level is above the conference too.

I just feel it don't work with Dailly and Doherty on the same team. I always believed we need two centre half's that are different and can link together well. It worked well with Rufus and Costa and they were two different players.

Sorry to be pedantic, but it didn't work well with Rufus and Costa - they never played together. Would have been defensive perfection if they had done though.
  • Options
    Loan window shuts tonight till 8th Feb
  • Options
    Apart from the Goalkeeper Centre Backs run the least in a match, Pace is a advantage for a defender for when they are in trouble to have pace to be able to track back but at Centre Back it's all about Concentration your positional play and communication, Christian Dailly and Gary Doherty are 2 of the best centre backs in the league and don't become bad players overnight, It's about how the team defends and pressures the ball from the front the shape of being hard to break down get this right and teams will revert to long ball against us as which Dailly and The Doc will just head the ball away for fun.

But until we get rid of either Fortune or Llera don't see us signing a Centre Back, What we do need is a Playmaker a creative player with good movement on and off the ball to drive the team forward and chip in his fair few of goals, I don't think Racon or McCormack are doing the job needed yet, one option is if Reid finds his form he comes in at Left Wing and Jackson moves inside to parter Semedo with the license to roam though the centre.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]

Sorry to be pedantic, but it didn't work well with Rufus and Costa - they never played together. Would have been defensive perfection if they had done though.

Rufus and Costa started 9 games together, during which time we conceded just 15 goals, including a clean sheet at Old Trafford.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: kings hill addick[/cite]Rufus and Costa started 9 games together, during which time we conceded just 15 goals, including a clean sheet at Old Trafford.

I think most of us like to remember the Young Fish Costa Fortune thingy
  • Options
    What's the situation with Fortune? I thought his inital contract expired in January?

I don't think Daily is slow, people are obsessed by his age. Not convinced Fry would beat him by much in short sprint either. The fact is our central defenders get exposed far too often by weak defending from our full backs (one in particular) and a midfield that regularly goes missing in games.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]What's the situation with Fortune? I thought his inital contract expired in January?

I don't think Daily is slow, people are obsessed by his age. Not convinced Fry would beat him by much in short sprint either. The fact is our central defenders get exposed far too often by weak defending from our full backs (one in particular) and a midfield that regularly goes missing in games.

This.
  • Options
    Ok, let's list goals conceeded this season that can clearly be attributed to a lack of pace in the centre half department (not mistakes- lack of pace). The length of the list will show how much of a priority it is so get your thinking caps on.
  • Options
    there's slow and there's proper slow, and then the combination of two slows, which is too slow..
  • Options
    Perhaps Chrissy can work out what is wrong with Fortune so that he can get back to where he was - he used to have more than enough pace for League 1.
  • Options
    Ok, so give us some examples where slow cbs have cost us this season then. For example, it could be argued that Llera's lack of pace cost us against Swindon in the play off semi final at the Valley (when he got sent off). I seriously can't think of any this season and I'm trying to.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]Ok, so give us some examples where slow cbs have cost us this season then. For example, it could be argued that Llera's lack of pace cost us against Swindon in the play off semi final at the Valley (when he got sent off). I seriously can't think of any this season and I'm trying to.
    The problem is more about the defence having to sit deep, making it harder for the rest of the team to control the game, rather than defenders being beaten by pace isn't it?
  • Options
    I don't think that is the reason for sitting deep. They don't sit deep at home do they?
  • Options
    Ok, so it doesn't look like we are going to get a long list of examples of how lack of CB pace has cost us this season. So maybe 1 example then?