Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Addicks eye double deal before deadline

124»

Comments

• Options
    On the subject of Francis it's interesting to review post-match threads and in particular the marking out of ten thread. The perception that he's a poor player/unpopular with the fans seems to see him marked down most weeks regardless of how well he plays.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Fuck me I have read some stuff on here before, but Francis better than Richardson, what a load of shite.The geezer is the worse player I have seen in a charlton shirt. .[/quote]

If Francis is the worst player you've ever seen playing for Charlton then you can't have been a fan for long.[/quote]

so who has been worse in the last 25 years, thats how long i've had a season ticket for ? remember the other players who you are about to mention played in a higher league, but I would like to know who you think is poorer player ?
  • Options
    BFR is having to trawl back 25 years and is obviously struggling LOL
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Fuck me I have read some stuff on here before, but Francis better than Richardson, what a load of shite.The geezer is the worse player I have seen in a charlton shirt. .

If Francis is the worst player you've ever seen playing for Charlton then you can't have been a fan for long.

so who has been worse in the last 25 years, thats how long i've had a season ticket for ? remember the other players who you are about to mention played in a higher league, but I would like to know who you think is poorer player ?

Congratulations - you managed a whole post without swearing.
  • Options
    whats the matter didn't you realise I had been going so long and wasn't a premiership johnny come lately, your stumped son aren't you. LOL
  • Options
    Paul Friar wasn't too special. Committed but offered zero coming forward. As soon as John Humphrey became available, that was the end of him.
  • Options
    Maybe but he played in a higher division than Francis and wasn't as poor, you didn't see people ducking on the east terrace like they do in the east stand when Francis gets it
  • Options
    Be interesting to see who the two players are ......................................
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]whats the matter didn't you realise I had been going so long and wasn't a premiership johnny come lately, your stumped son aren't you. LOL

No, i'm not stumped, it's some time since we last played in the the third tier - from memory it was a mercifully short one season stretch in the early '80s, since when (other than this season and last year) we have been in the top two divisions, so the only comparison you can make is with players who had more ability and played for the club at a higher level, and therefore perhaps had fewer excuses.

So while Francis wouldn't have played many games over the last couple of decades, I doubt whether player-for-player that he is a worse footballer than say Djimi Traore, Ralph Milne, Mike Small, Paul Sturgess, Paul Bacon, Amdy Faye, Brendan O'Connell, Darren Pitcher, Mou2, Talal El Khalej, Francis Jeffers, JFH, Marcus Bent and quite a few others who somehow managed to get a decent run of games to prove their lack of talent/desire to put in a shift.

Regarding Francis - he is a L1 player in a L1 team, and the standard of football in this league is ok, most teams seem to have a few good players, but mostly consist of journeyman pros and that is what he is. At best I'd say that he is competent for this level, considering our lack of money when he was signed and our need for a right-back then he's done ok, on this season's evidence I'd say that Doherty has been a worse player and while Fry has a had a few good games he's had a few stinkers too.
  • Options
    Hate not knowing who we're after, I suppose there must be reasons for it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mike Small

The worst ever . . . .
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]whats the matter didn't you realise I had been going so long and wasn't a premiership johnny come lately, your stumped son aren't you. LOL[/quote]

No, i'm not stumped, it's some time since we last played in the the third tier - from memory it was a mercifully short one season stretch in the early '80s, since when (other than this season and last year) we have been in the top two divisions, so the only comparison you can make is with players who had more ability and played for the club at a higher level, and therefore perhaps had fewer excuses.

So while Francis wouldn't have played many games over the last couple of decades, I doubt whether player-for-player that he is a worse footballer than say Djimi Traore, Ralph Milne, Mike Small, Paul Sturgess, Paul Bacon, Amdy Faye, Brendan O'Connell, Darren Pitcher, Mou2, Talal El Khalej, Francis Jeffers, JFH, Marcus Bent and quite a few others who somehow managed to get a decent run of games to prove their lack of talent/desire to put in a shift.

Regarding Francis - he is a L1 player in a L1 team, and the standard of football in this league is ok, most teams seem to have a few good players, but mostly consist of journeyman pros and that is what he is. At best I'd say that he is competent for this level, considering our lack of money when he was signed and our need for a right-back then he's done ok, on this season's evidence I'd say that Doherty has been a worse player and while Fry has a had a few good games he's had a few stinkers too.[/quote]

as you say others have played at a higher level, so as i think he is the worse of this bunch it makes him the worse player i have seen, if i played I would be worse than him, so thats the comparison I'm using.
  • Options
    It would be more interesting to discuss who this double deal might entail than have a slanging match, surely?
  • Options
    I hear Torres has handed in a transfer request ;)

Weave your magic Jonjo.
  • Options
    Jamie Stuart is the worst full back I've seen in a Charlton shirt. Mike Small is still responsible for the very worst performance by a Charlton player that I have ever witnessed.

Francis is a decent player at this level and would probably do OK in the championship too. We've had worse players in the recent past that have cost us a fortune and games. Parky's tactics probably didn't help him, as he seemed to be required to get the ball forward as soon as poss. For what it's worth, I think Francis would do better if converted to centre back. He lacks agility for a full back but has good enough pace and height for a central defender.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]Be interesting to see who the two players are ......................................

Leftback .........Bhasera from Argyle? They need to at least get him off their payroll or flog him.
    Strong athletic defender, plays for his country. And if Blackpool consider him good enough for the Prem ......?

From the Western Morning News today:
    "The deal to take Plymouth Argyle left-back Onismor Bhasera to Blackpool has been called off.

Bhasera was set to sign on loan for the Premier League club until the end of the season, with a view to a permanent transfer in the summer. Blackpool agreed to pay a six-figure loan fee to the cash-strapped Pilgrims to take the Zimbabwe international.

But it is believed talks between Blackpool and Bhasera have broken down.
    So, for the time being at least, the defender remains on the books at Argyle".

Linky: New left back?
  • Options
    Would approve of that Oggster if we were in the market for a LB and to try Fry at CB.

Good local knowledge... are you about next week? I realise it is your side of the country though is still an epic trek for you!
  • Options
    A permanent left back would also allow Jackson to continue in midfield, so would be a good signing. Add a creative central midfield player and the squad should be deep enough to make a push to the end of the season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Would approve of that Oggster if we were in the market for a LB and to try Fry at CB.

Good local knowledge... are you about next week? I realise it is your side of the country though is still an epic trek for you!

Hi ISaw ..... yep, definitely considering going to Yeovil again. Should be able to get there in about 3 hours from home.
    Will you be there, we could meet up again?
  • Options
    Yes Fran and I are coming down on the train, will be arriving either 10.38 or 11.38 depending on which train we get - would be good to have a beer mate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Missed It[/cite]Jamie Stuart is the worst full back I've seen in a Charlton shirt.
    He certainly made a number of disastrous gaffes (quite close together), but he was an England U21 at one point, scored a wonder goal (home against Southend I think) and looked like he might be capable of converting into a decent centre half, before he left us. I wonder where it all went wrong for him.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Missed It[/cite]Jamie Stuart is the worst full back I've seen in a Charlton shirt.
    He certainly made a number of disastrous gaffes (quite close together), but he was an England U21 at one point, scored a wonder goal (home against Southend I think) and looked like he might be capable of converting into a decent centre half, before he left us. I wonder where it all went wrong for him.

Didn't he get caught with drugs and get banned?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Yes Fran and I are coming down on the train, will be arriving either 10.38 or 11.38 depending on which train we get - would be good to have a beer mate

Fran, aka ColinPowellsMower.......?

God, remember that sesh we all did in Walkie's after the Plymouth game 3 seasons ago? No idea how I got home, haha.

Yep, I'm up for it!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]Jamie Stuart ....I wonder where it all went wrong for him.

Sex and drugs and rock'n'roll.

Didn't he get busted after smoking blow at a party?
    Failed his test and the club sacked him on the spot, I think.
  • Options

Now playing at Wimbledon. Decent player for us, just unlucky/stupid with the drug crap. Sean Newton went on to do well though did'nt he.
  • Options
    must agree with a lot of people on here francis is a poor player,definately one of the worst ive seen in a charlton shirt.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Missed It[/cite]
    For what it's worth, I think Francis would do better if converted to centre back. He lacks agility for a full back but has good enough pace and height for a central defender.

I agree with that! After his 1st couple of games I felt he should be given a chance, but for the most part since then, he has proven that he is a pretty terrible full back after all.

Why oh why he is given any set-piece responsibility? His delivery is 98% pish! If picked, he should be in the box with his height.

I hope Solly is fit to return again soon, & Jenkinson did look decent against a tough Brentford side, so we would be covered if Francis did move inside. Hopefully Chris will work with the fullbacks & set them on the right path.
  • Options
    I saw Southampton played Butterfield instead of Richardson today. Is Frazer injured?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]I saw Southampton played Butterfield instead of Richardson today. Is Frazer injured?[/quote]

Was on the bench