Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

be honest

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Some of you are missing the point. If you try to get it into your thick heads.

It is about the feel good factor returning. Not the best manager in the world been found.

When Chris powell played for us I never heard a word said against him everyone thought he summed up everything that you look for in a player, honesty,hardworking,effort,commitment and an affinity with the club.

How could you not find the returning of a man like that who wants to lead you back to where you want to go inspiring and emotional.

So, just because people never got their pieces out and started creaming themselves off they've missed the point about what you are saying and/or have got "thick heads" have they?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite]. Maybe it is my age or that i have supported Charlton for too long but i feel totally jaded by the experience. I know i should feel excited by the experience of a new Manager and new owners, but i don't. Maybe i will get my enthusiasm back when we go on a 15 game unbeaten run under the chosen one.

That's more than fair, Dick - although you've only been watching three years longer than me!

I have felt very jaded, too, as we have slid further and further down the greasy pole. But I like to think the new regime has finally stopped the rot and I hope they succeed in restoring your enthusiasm , too.
  • Options
    NLA I understand what you mean it's about feeling the way we did 4.5 years ago getting good vibes and turning a corner, not about delusions that CP would be better than PP, but more about the heart and passion he brings to the valley.

However you should appologise for calling people thick it was a bit out of line mate.
  • Options
    Ok I appologise for calling people thick. But that's exactly what I meant under pardew when he first arrived there was a feeling of relief and hope. Under Powell its more of a feeling that the whole club is turning.

The board and the mgmt are in tune something that has been lacking even under pardew when he came I don't believe it was widely accepted amongst them all that they were all in agreement.

It seems to me now that the tide is turning, its not about the hero worship of Powell it is about the right noises coming from the academy up to the first team and the crowd.

Powell wanting to look at everyone from those youth players on the fringe to the regular first teamers.

Yesterday to me and others I spoke to a cloud seems to be breaking and a ray of light,hope,optimism is coming through.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The downtrodden and sometimes unrealistic attitude of supporting Charlton nowadays from a lot of our flock stems back to the fifteen odd years or so of Curbs. We were completely spoiled by the accomplishments of the club and team so soon after the return to the Valley. Whether it's unrealistic expectations on a match to match basis or possible transfers like Austin on one hand to moaning about another overhit Francis cross on the other. We have to realise that we are in the Third division like it or not and Curbs, Bent, Parker, Murphy Et Al are a thing of the past and were hard earned and not a God given right. Personally I think that Powell is the right appointment because he can soften a lot of the hard edges due to who he is and being part of our recent golden era but he's going to require time and a lot of our patience to create his own imprint on the club and team just like Curbs who didn't have such expectations to create.
    On a much higher scale but a similar scenario I am intrigued to see what will happen at Manu when Fergie calls it a day after 25 years or so, as they to went into freefall when Sir Matt Busby left after a lot of success during a long stay in charge. It can happen at any club and the natives can get restless and divisions and disgruntlements sets in.
    I say this as someone who has stood on the East terrace in a crowd of 3 or 4 thousand on Tuesday nights against the likes of Grimsby and Port Vale.
    I will continue to support Charlton whether it's Di Canio in the red shirt or Abbott or Francis, and I always will as I am an optimistic realist as that is the required element for supporting our great club.
  • Options
    Nice post PP.

Some people like to not be happy following Charlton, and like to boo.. expect us to be higher etc., but we're not and we need to earn ourselves a place back in the big 20 the hard way.. which we will do in the future, we have the money backing hopefully, now just for things on the pitch to fall on place and the fans to jump on board rather than pile silly expectations on the team in a ridiculous league tbh.
  • Options
    Good posts PP and AA

NLA, while I agree with your last post I thought you first was way OTT.

No comparison between 5/12/92 and Saturday in my book and I'd rank the Ispwich PO game, Curbs leaving v Blackburn, Soton in '98, the Spurs relegation game and maybe a few others above Saturday on the emotion scale as well.

Don't get me wrong I loved it when Powell came out and it was great to be part of a (mostly positive crowd) again but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. It's a start, a good start, but only that.

I still think the most important dates this season have been the EGM and the Takeover. They have been hugely significant milestones and real changes to the fabric of the Club. Boring numbers and paperwork perhaps and no one is singing the unknown owners names but in the long run it will be those events that will allow Chrissy to really shine and the Club to move forward.