Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

be honest

1 how did you feel in the minutes leading up to powelly coming out as mgr on Saturday.

2. Have you ever felt like that at a football match

Me

1. I felt really emotional but not tearful very proud and privileged to be there to share in Chris powells first memory of his future career.

2. Only twice and that was when I stood on the east stand with hundreds of others who sneaked up there on the 5th of December. And when I first sat down at wembley for the playoff final. A real sense of pride.

I found it strange that I felt like that yesterday

Comments

• Options
    This is a very good sign, a sign that we are potentially moving in the right direction.. emotion and football go hand in hand and if people are feeling such strong bonds than I consider that a massive positive..
  • Options
    It's odd. First time ever I have had a tear in my eye at a football match. Was when CP was introduced to The Valley and there was a tangible feeling of Charlton coming together for the first time in years. I didn't blub though ;0)
  • Options
    I felt nothing when Chris Powell came out of the tunnel.I just looked round at people worshipping the Messiah and felt it was all a bit strange. It felt like i was at a gathering of Catholics when the Pope was over here. The time when i did feel emotional was our first game back at the Valley and i admit i shed a tear. I know i am in a minority but i just don't feel anything for Chris Powells return.All i am interested in is that whoever is the Charlton Manager that we improve and start climbing the divisions.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well it was welcoming back someone who played in a team full of grit, pride and passion for the Charlton shirt and someone who definately understands all of that.

So, yes, it was a special moment for all us fans who want someone in charge who can bring those qualities back into this current bunch of players.

That spirit was there: Both goal/final whistle celebrations from ALL the players and Chrissy Powell punching the air at full time.

I felt very happy yesterday for the first time in ages at a Charlton match that at long last we have gone some way to getting back to something more familiar, I've felt increasingly alienated at Charlton in recent times.
  • Options
    I has a tingle down my spine, a shiver went through me. I smiled and was genuinely moved that a guy who played for us with such pride, commitment and passion was coming in to manage us.

I have a good feeling about this.
  • Options
    I wasn't there, I wish I was. The commitment of having young children kept me away. However I had a good feeling about the match I knew we would win. And a great feeling about Chris Powell, it just felt right. I know I wasn't there but I was quite emotional at home before the game, during and after. If I was at the Valley I know I would have blubbered as I have on many occasions with Charlton home and away. I for one can't wait to get back there as I know now it will feel as it used too full of pride and passion, something that was missing the last couple of years, it will now again feel like home as a home match should... When you know your history it's enough to make your heart go woooaow!
  • Options
    I was pleased to see him come out of the tunnel and was pleased he got a fantastic reception, but it was nothing like the wave of pure emotion I felt when we the teams came out at the first game back at The Valley. Wasn't even anywhere near the feelings I had at the end of the Wembley play-off final.

It's great and it's positive, but some people really need to get a grip!
  • Options
    There wasn't a tear in my eye - but there was a lump in my throat when he walked down the touchline and acknowledged the fans and gave us that wonderful flashing smile.

It wasn't just nostalgia that he once ''played in a team full of grit, pride and passion for the Charlton shirt'', as Red5 says. That's true. But it was more than that. He's a reminder that there is still a place for decency and dignity and doing things the right way in modern football and all of that was going through my mind as we welcomed him.
  • Options
    Bit of an anticlimax but happy to see him back nonetheless. Back to the Valley and Ipswich play off final had me tearful.
  • Options
    All of the Parky Out Crew have become the Chris Powell Tinted Glasses Crew. ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had to be there to welcome him, that's for sure, and I felt pride and pleasure at his return.
    But no more than I did for Bailey and Firmani.
    I share the goodwill, but I can't understand the ridiculous over-hype on here; have we sunk so low that people see this as the second coming?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ia exactly what I am on about, that's why I said the word pride i believe that there was a sense of pride around the place.

It's why I said the beginning of the play offs not the end

I had been damaged by Parkinson he really drained my enjoyment of going to football yesterday it came back.

The rest of you are only happy when your miserable 8-p
  • Options
    Whilst it was a very enjoyable moment, maybe we are slightly over-reacting as it's the first decent thing to happen in about 4-5 years?!?!?

As mentioned above, the real tear provoking moments for me were when the team came out on the return to The Valley in 92 and Sasa Ilic's penalty save at Wembley in 98.

I'm pleased about Chris Powell's return and feel it's a good appointment, but I don't want to get carried away. In time it may prove to be an historical appointment of major significance....hope so....we shall see.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite] I can't understand the ridiculous over-hype on here; have we sunk so low that people see this as the second coming?

Not sure that is what most people are saying, with respect. Combination of being a Charlton legend as a player and representing all that is decent and dignified in a game in which today such qualities are generally in short supply - yes. Second coming - no.
  • Options
    No tears or lumps, but imense joy at seeing a charlton legend who I did not want to get the job, but who has it now and is a uniting figure behind all fans and who can resist his infectious grin. The best atmosphere at the Valley for a long time, but plenty of room for it to get a lot better.
  • Options
    I was a bit disappointed by the crowd size, but not entirely surprised, we have become very worn down. It was a very enjoyable moment but nothing more for me at this stage. I felt a bit sad for Parky as well, so it was a real mix of stuff going on in my head. Rather like IA, I feel Chrissy is a good appointment, change was needed and we have got it. Better to start low key and build rather than go OTT and crash land IMO. It's not being miserable at all, happy but mindful of the pitfalls would be more accurate.
  • Options
    1) Very very self- conscious as was trying to get the flag going round the stands.

Christ I though I was a dour b@st@rd at times but we really have some miserable, pessimistic sods follow our club. Instead of standing there gawping and moaning "There aint enough people, it looks rubbish" try helping to pass it along the stand.

Could take the joy out of winning the euro millions some of them. I can imagine being involved in a mass orgy involving Cheryl Tweedy, Megan Fox and Kelly Brook and one our fans sulking and chipping in saying "This would have been much better before Cheryl dyed her barnet" ;-(

2) My stepdad (although from Bromley) supports Plymouth and I took him along yesterday. He has asked me for the last 5 years why on earth I still spend my time and money following something that more oft than not causes me disappointment, despair and heartbreak.

When our second went in, the crowd erupted into a spine- tingling burst of VFR and super Chrissy Powell I turned to him in the North Upper and said "That's why".
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]1) 2) My stepdad (although from Bromley) supports Plymouth and I took him along yesterday. He has asked me for the last 5 years why on earth I still spend my time and money following something that more oft than not causes me disappointment, despair and heartbreak.

When our second went in, the crowd erupted into a spine- tingling burst of VFR and super Chrissy Powell I turned to him in the North Upper and

said "That's why".

God that so sums it up!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]All of the Parky Out Crew have become the Chris Powell Tinted Glasses Crew. ;-)

Could'nt have put it better myself. Ridiculous overreaction to a decent man returning as Manager. If Parky had half of the adulation that CP has had it might have worked out better.All he got was people turning on him and spouting bile. The atmosphere at the Valley had turned poisonous. I wonder sometimes why people go to football, it seems to be to rid themselves of frustation by picking on a player ie Francis or Abbott.I have supported Charlton for 49 years and a section of our supporters have turned hyper-critical. I don't get anywhere near as much enjoyment now as i did supporting the club.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]All of the Parky Out Crew have become the Chris Powell Tinted Glasses Crew. ;-)

Yes, there is a certain dualism at work with some of our fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]

Yes, there is a certain dualism at work with some of our fans.

With something as emotive as football there isnt always room (or even a need) for logic and rationality.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite] The atmosphere at the Valley had turned poisonous. I wonder sometimes why people go to football, it seems to be to rid themselves of frustation by picking on a player ie Francis or Abbott.I have supported Charlton for 49 years and a section of our supporters have turned hyper-critical. I don't get anywhere near as much enjoyment now as i did supporting the club.

I have also supported Charlton for 46 years, Dick, and I'd much rather celebrate that I got back some of that enjoyment yesterday than moan about the grisly experience of being a Charlton supporter in recent years.

I'm not specifically talking about you, Dick, because I don't know you. But it seems RCT is right when he says some of our fans ''could take the joy out of winning the euro millions'' and, rather than celebrate yesterday's improved atmosphere, style of play, commitment and the win, would prefer to continue to fight old battles over the last manager.

You say ''If Parky had half of the adulation that CP has had it might have worked out better'' . Are you kidding? I'm afraid if you expected that, then no wonder you are dissapointed with life as a Charlton fan. He got the managership on the back of eight games as a caretaker without a win, inherited a team sitting outside the drop zone and then got us relegated. So I'm afraid there was more chance of Izale McLeod turning into the new Clive Mendonca than of Parkinson earning our ''adulation'' . A certain respect was due, based more on the man's character than his achievements. But ''adulation''? Really?
  • Options
    before and after the game i was emotional for SCP a true gentleman and nice fella , who deserves good luck more than we ever will
    he was the man i drove to villa park to see represent england and charlton against spain , i was so so proud then and welled up
    he is a reminder of the great times

then for the 90 mins+ of the game i was reminded what a wank pissy shit level of football we have fallen to

onwards and upwards please SCP get us out of this mess
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite] He got the managership on the back of eight games as a caretaker without a win, inherited a team sitting outside the drop zone and then got us relegated.

he inherited a team 3rd bottom , 2 points from safety ,with 28 games to go (60% of the season left)

we then finished bottom 12 points and 9GD from safety and these players were not new to parky
  • Options
    RodneyCharltonTrotta
    My step dad (although from Bromley) supports Plymouth and I took him along yesterday. He has asked me for the last 5 years why on earth I still spend my time and money following something that more oft than not causes me disappointment, despair and heartbreak.

When our second went in, the crowd erupted into a spine- tingling burst of VFR and super Chrissy Powell I turned to him in the North Upper and said "That's why".

Quality...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]

He's a reminder that there is still a place for decency and dignity and doing things the right way in modern football and all of that was going through my mind as we welcomed him.

Well said, Incorruptible.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]1 how did you feel in the minutes leading up to powelly coming out as mgr on Saturday.

2. Have you ever felt like that at a football match

Me

1. I felt really emotional but not tearful very proud and privileged to be there to share in Chris powells first memory of his future career.

2. Only twice and that was when I stood on the east stand with hundreds of others who sneaked up there on the 5th of December. And when I first sat down at wembley for the playoff final. A real sense of pride.

I found it strange that I felt like that yesterday

I've only felt like that before at the first game back at The Valley. Everyone united, proud and excited. Couldn't stop smiling.
  • Options
    Some of you are missing the point. If you try to get it into your thick heads.

It is about the feel good factor returning. Not the best manager in the world been found.

When Chris powell played for us I never heard a word said against him everyone thought he summed up everything that you look for in a player, honesty,hardworking,effort,commitment and an affinity with the club.

How could you not find the returning of a man like that who wants to lead you back to where you want to go inspiring and emotional.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite]The atmosphere at the Valley had turned poisonous. I wonder sometimes why people go to football, it seems to be to rid themselves of frustation by picking on a player ie Francis or Abbott.I have supported Charlton for 49 years and a section of our supporters have turned hyper-critical. I don't get anywhere near as much enjoyment now as i did supporting the club.

I have also supported Charlton for 46 years, Dick, and I'd much rather celebrate that I got back some of that enjoyment yesterday than moan about the grisly experience of being a Charlton supporter in recent years.

I'm not specifically talking about you, Dick, because I don't know you. But it seems RCT is right when he says some of our fans ''could take the joy out of winning the euro millions'' and, rather than celebrate yesterday's improved atmosphere, style of play, commitment and the win, would prefer to continue to fight old battles over the last manager.

You say ''If Parky had half of the adulation that CP has had it might have worked out better'' . Are you kidding? I'm afraid if you expected that, then no wonder you are dissapointed with life as a Charlton fan. He got the managership on the back of eight games as a caretaker without a win, inherited a team sitting outside the drop zone and then got us relegated. So I'm afraid there was more chance of Izale McLeod turning into the new Clive Mendonca than of Parkinson earning our ''adulation'' . A certain respect was due, based more on the man's character than his achievements. But ''adulation''? Really?

All i am saying is that i find the hero worship of Chris Powell totally over the top. I know that Phil Parkinson took us down,he also took us to the Play offs.He was never accepted by a large number of Charlton fans who could'nt wait to see him fail. I want Charlton to succeed as i have always done and will support the new Manager 100% as i have always done. Maybe it is my age or that i have supported Charlton for too long but i feel totally jaded by the experience. I know i should feel excited by the experience of a new Manager and new owners, but i don't. Maybe i will get my enthusiasm back when we go on a 15 game unbeaten run under the chosen one.