Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt holland as number 2

edited January 2011 in General Charlton
This i would like to see, talks a lot of sense,, and has a good football brain plus 100% Charlton.

Comments

• Options
    Yeah 100% behind this oppointment if it happens :-)
  • Options
    Think i predicted this quite a while ago. Wasn't sure in the end if it would happen because he is so into his media career now.
  • Options
    everyone respects him.... got into europe as captain with Ipswich has won promotions and knows what it takes, has massive respect from players...

Overall very sensible appointment if happened, a powell Holland combo with the support of Peacock could be a good look ...

If we cna get three wins out of the next three I will start to beleive...
  • Options
    I asked on twitter last week but he hasn't come back to me. I'd be surprised if I'm honest

My big concern would be about the lack of bite...

Powell and Holland are hardly renowned for tough tackling
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I asked on twitter last week but he hasn't come back to me. I'd be surprised if I'm honest

My big concern would be about the lack of bite...

Powell and Holland are hardly renowned for tough tackling

Danny Mills and Ben Thatcher?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shed7[/cite]This i would like to see, talks a lot of sense,, and has a good football brain plus 100% Charlton.

He was a good servant for CAFC but his real love was Ipswich, that was where he spent his best years and where he still lives.

Don't have an opinion on whether he should come back or not.
  • Options
    Liked Matty as a player and if CP feels he is the right man to work with then that's good enough for me. Oh and I think there wasn't anything wrong with Matt Hollands tackles.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shed7[/cite]plus 100% Charlton.

No sure that's right. He is also a legend at Ipswich with whom he had a great affinity.
  • Options
    I'd be surprised myself.....wouldn't be an earth shattering appointment. I agree he is more Ipswich than us.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: shed7[/cite]This i would like to see, talks a lot of sense,, and has a good football brain plus 100% Charlton.

He was a good servant for CAFC but his real love was Ipswich, that was where he spent his best years and where he still lives.

Don't have an opinion on whether he should come back or not.

He lives in Bishop's Stortfold
  • Options
    Counldn't possible be as annomous as he was as a player!

Still if he is in charge of coaching tackling, we're save a fortune on our cleaning bill.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Liked Matty as a player and if CP feels he is the right man to work with then that's good enough for me. Oh and I think there wasn't anything wrong with Matt Hollands tackles.

Agree, just because he didn't crunch into players sending them into the air it doesn't mean he couldn't tackle. Holland was a good tackler but usually always took the ball cleanly, almost like a ghost tackle.
  • Options
    Shock horror, Matt Holland in clean shorts, poor tackling - accusation.

He was decent player for us, and a really good club captain, and I think he'd make a decent assistant manager to CP. I just can't see it happening.
  • Options

I don't remember him having a good football brain.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [quote][cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Shock horror, Matt Holland in clean shorts, poor tackling - accusation.

He was decent player for us, and a really good club captain, and I think he'd make a decent assistant manager to CP. I just can't see it happening.[/quote]

Disagree that he was a decent player or good captain but coaching is a dirrerent matter. If CP wants him as his No2 then I'll trust CP's judgement.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]Counldn't possible be as annomous as he was as a player!

Still if he is in charge of coaching tackling, we're save a fortune on our cleaning bill.

Agreed
  • Options
    For a player who had a good career in the top flight and at international level I think he gets a bit too much stick to be honest. He was a very good player and I think the criticism just goes to show how little some peoples knowledge of football really is.
  • Options
    Powell should get whoever he thinks is best for the job, experienced or not, ex Charlton or not.

As for Holland as a player, he was a good player but it showed how he had declined when he couldn't get in our poor Championship relegation side. Season before that Pardew kept playing despite the results being better with Semedo in the team.

He went from being a very important player in the Prem for Ipswich and an international to a player who had we kept him wouldn't have got into our team even in League One. So good player depends on what season of his career you're talking about.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]For a player who had a good career in the top flight and at international level I think he gets a bit too much stick to be honest. He was a very good player and I think the criticism just goes to show how little some peoples knowledge of football really is.

This.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I saw Andy Ansah in the north upper yesterday, maybe he will be assistant like in dream team!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Does this thread mean that we've sacked Alex dyer before he could sign the deal?
  • Options
    I heard a different rumour, from what you'd think was a good source - I can't possibly say who. But the word was: Steve Brown & Dean Kiely would be returning. Personally, I'd put Deano straight into the team!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Does this thread mean that we've sacked Alex dyer before he could sign the deal?

Apparently he was there too!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]Counldn't possible be as annomous as he was as a player!.....
    Well, he certainly wasn't anonymous when he won our player of the year award. You don't pick that up by hiding.
  • Options
    How on earth was Matt Holland anonymous? Wtf do people actually look at when they go to football games?! Matt Holland was one of our most vocal players and was always marshalling our men in the game. He would also mop up many balls in the midfield and distribute it well, he was a tidy footballer that could tackle without mashing oppositions legs, what is wrong with that exactly? On my list of anonymous Charlton players, there are many, many names before his!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]How on earth was Matt Holland anonymous? Wtf do people actually look at when they go to football games?! Matt Holland was one of our most vocal players and was always marshalling our men in the game. He would also mop up many balls in the midfield and distribute it well, he was a tidy footballer that could tackle without mashing oppositions legs, what is wrong with that exactly? On my list of anonymous Charlton players, there are many, many names before his!

Yes, and don't forget his goals contribution; scored somw good ones
  • Options
    but has he done his coaching badges?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Shock horror, Matt Holland in clean shorts, poor tackling - accusation.

He was decent player for us, and a really good club captain, and I think he'd make a decent assistant manager to CP. I just can't see it happening.

Disagree that he was a decent player or good captain but coaching is a dirrerent matter. If CP wants him as his No2 then I'll trust CP's judgement.

This argument was done to death when he played for us. He had a long international career, was Captain at by us and Ipswich, and was very well respected within the game. Don't you think that those in the know had the best idea about his capabilities and at the main clubs he played for in his career, the managers decided to make him Captain.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: gilbertfilbert[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]For a player who had a good career in the top flight and at international level I think he gets a bit too much stick to be honest. He was a very good player and I think the criticism just goes to show how little some peoples knowledge of football really is.

This.

Agree totally.
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]This argument was done to death when he played for us. He had a long international career, was Captain at by us and Ipswich, and was very well respected within the game. Don't you think that those in the know had the best idea about his capabilities and at the main clubs he played for in his career, the managers decided to make him Captain.

Well said, Bing.