Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Steve Clarke

2»

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I wonder if he hopes to step up to manager in the summer. Was always the way at Anfield in the 70s and 80s and brought them a lot of success.

May even have been given a promise of that already.

can't see it - comes across as being comfortable as a number 2 to me.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I wonder if he hopes to step up to manager in the summer. Was always the way at Anfield in the 70s and 80s and brought them a lot of success.

May even have been given a promise of that already.

Do you think that if these two hit it off and have a lot of success till the end of the season that Liverpool will replace Dalglish? There would be riots up there. I think now clarke is there Kenny will stay manager for the following season then Clarke to maybe take over.
  • 'can't see it - comes across as being comfortable as a number 2 to me.'

Maybe but they once said the same about Bob Paisley at Liverpool. And you could say the same about Keith Peacock, but he was probably the best manager that Gillingham or Maidstone have ever had, even if he was ultimately unsuccessful with them both and had to deal a schizophrenic board and fickle fans at one club, and a madman of a chairman at another who took a football club to extinction.

That said, they thought that Brian Kidd would one day step up to the plate after Fergie at Old Trafford given he was his number two. And then Blackburn appointed him, and he was an absolute disaster.
  • Sammy Lee tried his hand at managing and he's now joint number two!
  • Looks set to quit Reading and take over Fulham.
  • Hope their selection process is as rigorous as ours...
  • That must mean that Curbs is coming back to us.
  • Wouldn't be surprised if Phil Parkinson got the Reading job if it becomes available.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2015

Wouldn't be surprised if Phil Parkinson got the Reading job if it becomes available.

Good call... I reckon they'll go for Pearson though

Its just Queens Park Rangers that are looking for a Manager now, unless they've gone down the Charlton route with Neil Warnock as Interim
  • Pearson for the reading job . source. The sun newspaper
  • Pearson for the reading job . source. The sun newspaper

Must be true then :wink:
  • Anyone sent over Karel's CV? Could fill in the blank spaces with some sketches of his achievements?
  • Wouldn't be surprised if Phil Parkinson got the Reading job if it becomes available.

Good call... I reckon they'll go for Pearson though

Its just Queens Park Rangers that are looking for a Manager now, unless they've gone down the Charlton route with Neil Warnock as Interim
    Nigel Pearson and Brendan Rodgers are favourites for QPR job, with Hasselbaink in the reckoning as well.
  • Are we the most quiet boring one out of all the Championship clubs that have been going through the process of finding a new manager in recent weeks? I feel guilty that I'm more interested in news of other clubs' managerial changes.... You cannot blame me though because there's indeed absolutely nothing happening here at Charlton while rumours are flying among all those other clubs. :(
  • Are we the most quiet boring one out of all the Championship clubs that have been going through the process of finding a new manager in recent weeks? I feel guilty that I'm more interested in news of other clubs' managerial changes.... You cannot blame me though because there's indeed absolutely nothing happening here at Charlton while rumours are flying among all those other clubs. :(

Fraeye has the job. The only way that changes is if the results continue to leave us in danger of relegation. Bottom six in January and he's replaced.

It's a very dangerous stance being taken by RD and not for the first time. Sooner or later he will come unstuck.

Pigheaded and arrogant.

Agreed. And meanwhile we are missing out on potential decent British managers who are out of work.

Fraeye has the job. The only way that changes is if the results continue to leave us in danger of relegation. Bottom six in January and he's replaced.

It's a very dangerous stance being taken by RD and not for the first time. Sooner or later he will come unstuck.

Pigheaded and arrogant.

Agreed. And meanwhile we are missing out on potential decent British managers who are out of work.
    According to KM at the big presentation meeting, 15 of the 20 managers in the Prem are from overseas, so why would we want a British manager?

• B

Are we the most quiet boring one out of all the Championship clubs that have been going through the process of finding a new manager in recent weeks? I feel guilty that I'm more interested in news of other clubs' managerial changes.... You cannot blame me though because there's indeed absolutely nothing happening here at Charlton while rumours are flying among all those other clubs. :(

Pigheaded and arrogant.

According to KM at the big presentation meeting, 15 of the 20 managers in the Prem are from overseas, so why would we want a British manager?

I understand why people think differently to me on this but I'm not 100% that a new man needs to be British. What he does have to be is properly qualified in terms of experience with a proven track record that enables him to confidently manage in the Championship.

I do not see either of those qualities in Fraeye which makes the whole appointment a huge risk. RD is gambling with our league status because of his inability to recognise what needs to be done.

Extraordinary arrogance.

• Sponsored links:

• Agreed. And meanwhile we are missing out on potential decent British managers who are out of work.

Yes like we'll have all those youth players in the first team while those clubs in the premier won't.

Did someone tell her that we're the premier club in SE7 (hopefully we still are ?) & she got the wrong end of the stick ?
  • edited November 2015
    I heard on the other thread that Katrien had a meeting with Steve Clarke ?
    (going to Fulham)
    I guess when he heard it was 80k Per Annum and not a week he had a bigger smile than top Kat, and walked out.
  • I heard on the other thread that Katrien had a meeting with Steve Clarke ?
    (going to Fulham)
    I guess when he heard it was 80k Per Annum and not a week he had a bigger smile that top Kat and walked out.

I don't think the Scottish Steve Clarke has ever smiled in his life, a right miserable looking sod!
  • I heard on the other thread that Katrien had a meeting with Steve Clarke ?
    (going to Fulham)
    I guess when he heard it was 80k Per Annum and not a week he had a bigger smile that top Kat and walked out.

I don't think the Scottish Steve Clarke has ever smiled in his life, a right miserable looking sod!
    Too true;

He makes Jack Dee look like the life and soul of the party. (:-(

• edited November 2015

B

Are we the most quiet boring one out of all the Championship clubs that have been going through the process of finding a new manager in recent weeks? I feel guilty that I'm more interested in news of other clubs' managerial changes.... You cannot blame me though because there's indeed absolutely nothing happening here at Charlton while rumours are flying among all those other clubs. :(

Pigheaded and arrogant.

I understand why people think differently to me on this but I'm not 100% that a new man needs to be British. What he does have to be is properly qualified in terms of experience with a proven track record that enables him to confidently manage in the Championship.

I do not see either of those qualities in Fraeye which makes the whole appointment a huge risk. RD is gambling with our league status because of his inability to recognise what needs to be done.

Extraordinary arrogance.

The problem really is the board's track record. Lennie Lawrence wasn't an obvious candidate at the time in terms of his track record but proved to be one of our best ever. Not suggesting Fraeye will be our Alex Ferguson, but who knows it might just all come together.

Thing is if you're going to appoint someone without that track record you do need to be able to justify it in terms of his qualities and capabilities, and it needs to be a bit more than the owner trusts him because the owner trusted the 3 previous guys he decided not to stick with after a few months. Especially when candidates of the calibre of Lambert and Pearson are out there.
  • Steve Clark staying with Reading
  • rikofold said:

B

Pigheaded and arrogant.

Extraordinary arrogance.

The problem really is the board's track record. Lennie Lawrence wasn't an obvious candidate at the time in terms of his track record but proved to be one of our best ever. Not suggesting Fraeye will be our Alex Ferguson, but who knows it might just all come together.

Thing is if you're going to appoint someone without that track record you do need to be able to justify it in terms of his qualities and capabilities, and it needs to be a bit more than the owner trusts him because the owner trusted the 3 previous guys he decided not to stick with after a few months. Especially when candidates of the calibre of Lambert and Pearson are out there.
    Wasn't Lennie and for that matter Curbs and Gritty all given the job because in all honesty we were skint ? It was the simple and cheap solution for a club with no money. That isn't the case under RD. I'm not suggesting that he can hire whoever he wants although of course he pretty much could but it's almost as if he wants to skimp on the crucial post of manager. It's bizarre.