Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Steve Clarke

edited January 2011 in General Charlton
NoTW mentions Steve Clarke as possible next Charlton Manager. No mention of Wise!

Thoughts?

Comments

• would love him as manager
  • hell yeah my number 1 choice
  • not exactly a major success at wet spam though
  • Would be happy with him though he's a complete unknown as managed, wouldn't know what to expect from him. The likes of Howe we already have an idea of he type of football their teams play, they've been successful as managers and have experience of League One.
  • I ust don't see the point of bringing in someone with no managerial experience. I would like to see someone with expereince, Eddie Howe looks good to me, knows the division.
  • I'm torn over this, I think someone like Howe would be great for us because he knows this league and gets some great football out of his team. On the other hand, I don't think there's any substitute for experience and I believe Clarke would do a good job with us even though he's not a proven manager. I'd be very happy with either to be honest.
  • My number one choice , I agree that Howe is a bit like Parky in terms of cv . Clarke deserves a job at this level . Could be our Gus Poyet.
  • I started a thread about Steve Clarke becoming Charlton manager. He'd be my choice, considering Gustavo Poyet probably wouldn't leave Brighton.

However the rumour is that Clarke is going to be named as Kenny Dalglish's assistant manager at Liverpool.
  • In the same NOTW article it says there is a short list of Steve Clarke and Sean O'Driscoll. Add Eddie Howe to the mix and that's not a bad starting point. With regard to the rumour of Clarke going to Liverpool as number two to Dalgleish. I though Clarke was quoted recently as saying he wanted to be a number one next. I gues money will talk but I'd be estatic with Clarke.
  • edited January 2011
    I'd rather Howe out of the two but would still be happy with Clarke, especially as I've got money on him.

O'Driscoll as well, if these 3 were the targets, it would be great as I'd be delighted with any of the 3 in all honesty. Much better than going after the merry-go-round managers like Megson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oh and Jose Mourhino can't speak highly enough of Clarke and says he is more than ready to step up at any level. Come on down Steve.
  • Good to know O'Driscoll is being considered.
  • Agree about O'Driscoll. If we do try to tempt him from Doncaster (v similar to Adkins taking a step down) it would suggest we must have at least some funding to make it worthwhile for him. Otherwise, Howe & Tisadle continue to impress on very limited funds, and Clarke obviously has some pedigree - just not 100% sure how he'd handle div 3.
  • Talksport (Graham Beecroft) at Anfield just stated that Clarke is to be Dalglish' assistant coach for the rest of the season!
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Talksport (Graham Beecroft) at Anfield just stated that Clarke is to be Dalglish' assistant coach for the rest of the season!

Could've meant Wilkins too!
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Good to know O'Driscoll is being considered.

By us you mean or the actual Board? As with Grayson and Adkins stepping down a Division we maybe could persuade him BUT he turned down Burnley whilst they were still in the PL so maybe he is waiting for a better opportunity or of course maybe he is waiting for a move back down south.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Good to know O'Driscoll is being considered.

By us you mean or the actual Board? As with Grayson and Adkins stepping down a Division we maybe could persuade him BUT he turned down Burnley whilst they were still in the PL so maybe he is waiting for a better opportunity or of course maybe he is waiting for a move back down south.
    Just based on what SHG said was in the NOTW
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]In the same NOTW article it says there is a short list of Steve Clarke and Sean O'Driscoll. Add Eddie Howe to the mix and that's not a bad starting point. With regard to the rumour of Clarke going to Liverpool as number two to Dalgleish. I though Clarke was quoted recently as saying he wanted to be a number one next. I gues money will talk but I'd be estatic with Clarke.
  • liverpool hav got there hero in dalgleish .......... a charlton hero......... come in mr steve gritt ...
  • [cite]Posted By: kmem4[/cite]liverpool hav got there hero in dalgleish .......... a charlton hero......... come in mr steve gritt ...

Err, no thanks.
  • [cite]Posted By: kmem4[/cite]liverpool hav got there hero in dalgleish .......... a charlton hero......... come in mr steve gritt Sir Alan Curbishley...

we can hope :-/
  • Sponsored links:

• has a rep as a good coach so i'd be happy with that but can't see him as a manager -very dour with no obvious charisma.
  • Dalglish's No2 according to Talksport

We should stop messing about and give Jose a buzz....
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Dalglish's No2 according to Talksport

At Mellwood as we speak signing his contract.
  • It's a shame but Liverpool's number two under Dalglish would be too good an opportunity to turn down.

Now looks like Howe is nailed on.
  • damn it....... was really hoping for clarke..
  • Why would he choose Liverpool over Charlton. Clearly we didn't offer him the job ;-)
  • £20 down the drain. That's why I'm not a gambler.
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Dalglish's No2 according to Talksport

We should stop messing about and give Jose a buzz....

No, i'm not suggesting he should go into management - just move back into defence or on the bench for home games.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]has a rep as a good coach so i'd be happy with that but can't see him as a manager -very dour with no obvious charisma.
    Yeah, would probably make a brilliant number 2 but being a manager is quite different from a coach, would have been a fair aul gamble to take him on as a manager
  • I wonder if he hopes to step up to manager in the summer. Was always the way at Anfield in the 70s and 80s and brought them a lot of success.

May even have been given a promise of that already.