Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW ARTICLE: Dragging us kicking and screaming into the modern game?

13»

Comments

• Options
    I trust Peter Varney's judgement and if he was happy to front them and Richard Murray happy to sell to them then I take confidence in that.

A lot (most?) of us wanted a takeover and there are very few people buying football clubs nowdays who have any affinity to the club and therefore anyone who bought us could possibly sell us down the river.

The time and consideration RM and PV will have given about who the new owners are must be worth something as we were told it was about finding the "right" buyers for the club. Now if that is true then we have nothing to worry about based on the fact that murray, whom we believe has our right interests at heart, sold it to this outfit with Varney's blessing.

Now unless PV and RM have both been incredibly naive and been duped into handing over the club to a bunch of chancers, or even more unthinkably have sold us out, then I see no reason to give the takeover anything other than a cautiously optimistic view until any evidence proves otherwise.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    very good post!

while I can understand people being pissed off with the manner of parkinson, breaker and kinsella's dismissal, I really can't understand people defending parky's ability as a manager. I'm flabbergasted by some who think he should be given more time!

it makes me laugh, in another post on here, someone has called for parky's top 10 performances and everybodies struggling to find 10.

I appreciate he had to work under heavy restraints but doesn't every manager in the lower leagues?

the most common word I've read in reports about our martches is " dire " and that's exactly how it was on Monday night bl**dy dire. honestly the players looked clueless, don't they have any ideas other than hoofing it? a complete farce!

parky has had more than enough time to make his mark. you can't keep someone on just because their hard working and a nice guy, nice guys rarely win. it's time to move on. of course it's sad to see anyone loose their jobs but it is
    a business and tough decisions need to be made and they have.

I don't really buy into the idea that our owners are underhand either. you can hardly expect in their first press conference to say " we're going to sack parky and his team " and we all know and have heard the dreaded chairmans " vote of confidence " so many times at other clubs, it usually represents the end of the line for the manager. so maybe parky knew? and if this results in a change of charlton policy, i can go with that. i've no doubt they've been watching and weighing the teams and parky's performances for some while and it hasn't been pretty. so I don't believe their decision has been based on the last two matches.

I feel as though the wounded dog has finally been put out of it's misery and about time too!
  • Options
    For a wide boy herbert, Rodders, you talk a lot of sense!
  • Options
    Siliav the best post on here and the one that makes the most sense far too much blind loyalty paid to Parkinson far to much emphasise on the he had no money line.

He chased Francis got him and he is woeful

He chased Benson but could never have watched him because he can not play how parkinson has been playing him
    He shit on two of the best home grown talents we have had at the club in a while.

And due to this with solly he put unesecary pressure on a player who had not kicked a ball in anger all pre season and he has never recovered to put in a decent showing now that could be because he was not up for the full back role at this level or the decision and the pressure that it placed on him ruined his bedding in and he can't catch up.

He paid wages on seip and mackenzie and between them they played how many mins have they played.

He signed Abbott and forster both hopeless so far

The football was dire the club stunk there was something rotten there.

There is a paranoia that ms and tj are going to ruin the club based on nothing other than people sulking that nice guy Phil got the sack and its not the charlton way

Wrong

Steve grit, Les reed got the sack the same way and dowie got the sack the same way so it is our way bar curbs muzza,s longest serving mgr was who

Worry about their finances if you want look as hard as you want they are here and in my opinion and numerous others they have shown real balls real leadership and a whole lot of sense.

Do they need to earn trust and respect yes they do are they doing that in my eyes yes.

If wise comes in I don't think I would've or could've done a worse job than Parkinson so I am pretty confident he won't.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Brave new eras are all well and good so long as they don't destroy the core.

Without a takeover, that core may have been liquified at the end of this season!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If i was the new owners reading some of the comments on here less than a week into bailing us out of the shite I would really think Id wished Id saved my money, time and effort.

There's smarter and much less messy ways for smart guys to make a quick buck than gambling on a 3rd division team being rocketed to the premiership and sold or through asset stripping.

Their main crime appearing to be sacking a manager on the back of one of many poor performances, where much of the crowd, their customers, vocally voiced displeasure, not yet announced a successor installed a trusted old face to hold things together in the interim.

Everything else is pure speculation. Yes it is "our" club but our club has been struggling to tred water and slowly sinking. At least these lot have thrown us a lifeline.

They havent sold the ground, any key players or even appointed Dennis Wise but its already been deemed that they have tainted our club in some way and are here to cause damage.

I dont get it. Give them a chance to get settled in and then we can all judge them by their actions and pull them up as and when necessary.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]If i was the new owners reading some of the comments on here less than a week into bailing us out of the shite I would really think Id wished Id saved my money, time and effort.

There's smarter and much less messy ways for smart guys to make a quick buck than gambling on a 3rd division team being rocketed to the premiership and sold or through asset stripping.

Their main crime appearing to be sacking a manager on the back of one of many poor performances, where much of the crowd, their customers, vocally voiced displeasure, not yet announced a successor installed a trusted old face to hold things together in the interim.

Everything else is pure speculation. Yes it is "our" club but our club has been struggling to tred water and slowly sinking. At least these lot have thrown us a lifeline.

They havent sold the ground, any key players or even appointed Dennis Wise but its already been deemed that they have tainted our club in some way and are here to cause damage.

I dont get it. Give them a chance to get settled in and then we can all judge them by their actions and pull them up as and when necessary.

This!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stefco[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Brave new eras are all well and good so long as they don't destroy the core.

Without a takeover, that core may have been liquified at the end of this season!

That is something we don't know for sure.

We also don't know how solvent (or not) these new owners really are. Portsmouth and Notts County were both taken over and that didn't turn out well for either club.

As I approach late middle age I'm increasingly out of touch with the morality of the modern world and accept that I'm probably in a minority by attaching importance to Charlton's traditional family and community values and also continuing to play at The Valley.

I'm sorry if that does not tally with the Brave New World everybody else wants but it is my opinion and, when I last looked, this was a forum for expressing opinions.

I hope that the Parky dismissal turns out to be more clumsy PR rather than cynical lying. I find myself clinging to the fact that a committed fan of 50 years plus standing, Peter Varney, allowed this lot to use his name and hope that such a man would not do such a thing to the detriment of our Club.
  • Options
    He also said

This is The best deal for charlton athletic

As did a former director

Mr charlton himself said a momentous day for our club

All 3 men I trust and mnow that charlton are in their hearts soul and mind always.

Good enough for me to believe and not doubt
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]He also said
    This is The best deal for charlton athletic
    And compared to other possible deals on the table, or going into administration, I trust them that that was the case. But that doesn't mean that we should blindly agree with everything the new board do. Even Murray and Varney didn't always get things right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite] Even Murray didn't always get things right.

Murray got it right once by asking the players to vote for gritt or curbishley
    Then he got it wrong 4 times dowie , reed, pardew and parky ......
    He didn't take curbs choice of mick mccarthy on board cos he didn't interview well he got smooth talked by dowie ..........................
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    What is the charlton way

Apart from the glory years under curbs in the last 50 odd years we've been either playing away from the valley ,dragging ourselves along or close to going out of business

As a suspicious person , I really have to question what sort of money this mob are willing to punt on us
    We'll see the intentions they have by what happens in this window management and players 'wise' .....
    My big fear is they'll be using us as a free bet, by using our assets (is the ground and training ground worth 30m? ) if things go really tits up and if it all goes right they'll lob us out to the first mug foreigner that wants to come along and have an ego trip , which may well be good fun but I'm weary of ending up in a worse position where the debts are unsurmountable for us to survive from this time
    But murray had left us in a poor state so who knows what the future holds , I just hope we got out of this dismal league and lose our tag as the worse team in south london for starters
    COYR
  • Options
    There will be things they do wrong and I will be first to say it.

But they have made the right decision no one could do a worse job than Parkinson no one he was the wrong man for the job.

The new board have done nothing that the old board have not done in the past.
  • Options
    There are a lot a valid points raised.

One point that is within this discussion perhaps needs highlighting. If Jiminez & Slater were really wanting to run a muck and do it in a way people are concerned, why would they have kept Murray and reinstated Varney. I am sure they didn't need to offer Murray a directorship & Varney could have been used in the role he was without placing him on the board. Money talks so if they are as bloody minded as some think, they didn't need to create the board as is.

Sure you can say they are being half clever by letting fans think they intend to keep the community spirit and structure in place, but they are no mugs. Otherwise they wouldn't be where they are, so they will understand Charlton is a brand, to destroy that is to devalue your investment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Stefco[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Brave new eras are all well and good so long as they don't destroy the core.

We also don't know how solvent (or not) these new owners really are. Portsmouth and Notts County were both taken over and that didn't turn out well for either club.

As I approach late middle age I'm increasingly out of touch with the morality of the modern world and accept that I'm probably in a minority by attaching importance to Charlton's traditional family and community values and also continuing to play at The Valley.

I'm sorry if that does not tally with the Brave New World everybody else wants but it is my opinion and, when I last looked, this was a forum for expressing opinions.

I hope that the Parky dismissal turns out to be more clumsy PR rather than cynical lying. I find myself clinging to the fact that a committed fan of 50 years plus standing, Peter Varney, allowed this lot to use his name and hope that such a man would not do such a thing to the detriment of our Club.

Blimey Len...
    What I think, You write: Except the "late middle age" bit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Maybe he's not a great public speaker or isnt good at speaking hence he's leaving the PR side to the lawyer who no doubt can dance around with words. He's there to spend his own hard earned dosh to run a football club and help get out of the financial mess we are in not applying for a presenting job on Newsnight.
    To be fair, having seen Slater umming and arring on SSN, he's not the smoothest presenter, but I take the point.

Excellent article by the way.

I think the bottom line is nobody knows if it's a good thing or a bad thing. It's facile to say that Varney was involved so it'll be OK. He was working to find a takeover so he has a certain amount of interest in making the deal happen and while he wouldn't knowingly deliver us into evil our dream board did good deals and hopeless deals, so we have to be concious that it is human to err and not just trust that - despite good intent - everything Varney and Murray do will be good for the club.
  • Options

I totally agree with the over-riding point, but can't think that this is something borne out of the morality of the modern world. Cynical owners have been around for many moons - Brighton lost a ground decades ago, we weren't in great shape before Murray and the gang stepped in. Greed's been around since before football.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]There will be things they do wrong and I will be first to say it.

But they have made the right decision no one could do a worse job than Parkinson no one he was the wrong man for the job.

The new board have done nothing that the old board have not done in the past.
    They've made a decision. The right decision will be getting a better manager in who takes us up.

We could easily get the wrong manager who wastes money on the wrong type of players and we fall out of the play off places. That would be a worse job than Parkinson.

Not saying Parky should have stayed at all, but you can't say no one would have done a worse job.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]

I totally agree with the over-riding point, but can't think that this is something borne out of the morality of the modern world. Cynical owners have been around for many moons - Brighton lost a ground decades ago, we weren't in great shape before Murray and the gang stepped in. Greed's been around since before football.

Thames Valley Royals springs to mind.........