Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW ARTICLE: Dragging us kicking and screaming into the modern game?

Comments

• Options
    what the last day or so has shown me is that when you are not "emotionally" attached and can stand back and take a balanced view on things then a different (if not correct - time will tell) deciscion can be made.

I'm pretty sure that if the takeover hadn't happened, or even hadn't gone through by yesterday, then Parky would still be in a job as Richard Murray is too nice a bloke and too attached to the club to have sacked him after last nights debacle.

At least the new owners have had the courage to act after recent events..........much better than just sitting on the fence and waiting for things to happen
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Let's make no mistake. The club has sold itself to the devil. If the devil brings success we'll all be happy. If it doesn't we'll all be the worse for it. Fingers crossed it'd the former!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Martomoto[/cite]Let's make no mistake. The club has sold itself to the devil. If the devil brings success we'll all be happy. If it doesn't we'll all be the worse for it. Fingers crossed it'd the former!

FFS. Do we believe that of Murray and Varney? Hard-nosed, yes: the devil, I don't think so.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Well done to Slater and Jiminez. They did what they had to do.Now let's move on. There's is no devine (sic) right, or even divine right. But things can only get better after the incompetence and lack of ambition we've endured in recent seasons - and I am confident that they will.
    But they've only done half the job so far, and the omens for the important part - actually signing a decent manager in time to make the most of the transfer window - are not looking good. Dennis Wise? REALLY? You can't say things can only get better; we may be combining incompetence with unsustainable ambition, and making things even worse.
    It's quite bizarre how all these posters who used to complain about the ''negativity'' of CL are now pouring out the negativity like never before. Cheer up everyone and let's unite in celebrating the dawning of a brave new era in Charlton history.
    I wish I could, but the problem is that at the moment we have very little to base our positivity on. Who are Slater and Jiminez? We know Jiminez has contacts, but they don't have a track record in running a club, and there's no evidence they have sufficient money themselves to pay-off Parky Kins and Breaker, pay the compensation required to release a decent manager from his contract, strengthen the squad in January to achieve promotion and again in the summer to make us competitive in the Championship. How do we know we don't have another Hulyer on our hands?

So far the new regime have said they weren't going to sack Parky, but less than a week later they have. They said Wise wasn't going to be involved - now he's favourite to take over as manager. Murray and Parky weren't perfect, but you knew where you were with them - the disagreements here were usually about whether what we had was just good enough to get promotion or not, and whether we were willing to put up with less than stellar football to achieve it. I'd like to be able to trust the new owners, but they're not exactly giving me any reason to so far. The uncertainty about what's going on at all levels of the club worries me, so I can't be all gung-ho about how this is the start of a bright new future.

By the end of February, we may have a new manager that has shot us to the top of the table while playing attractive football, and more clarity about the owners of the club, and their aims for the future, in which case I'll be happy to don my rosetinted specs once again. Or we may find it was another false dawn like the arrival of Pardew, and we're stuck with Dennis Wise and a bunch of overpriced and overpaid cloggers, and discovering that next year's season tickets have shot up in price to fund them, and we still don't know whether Jiminez and Slater actually have any significant financial backing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]My view is that Parkinson was handed an absolute train-wreck by Pardew back in 2008 and given no funds at all to fix it up - simply because we had no money.

A trainwreck that parkinson was heavily involved with building.
    [cite]Posted By: SilentAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

However 2 days ago the new board were "sitting down with Phil" to see what was needed!

Wouldn't you think that it could be possible that this meeting took place and that the new board weren't impressed with what Parky had to say or his intended targets were or even his game plan.. ?

Exactly, a lot of assumptions being made atm, especially ones like this:

[cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]and appointing Dennis Wise?

When the only time Slater has mentioned him, is to flatly deny his involvement. Really can't see Wise being our next manager, would make Slater look far too stupid, I just don't think someone as intelligent as him would make a massive mistake like that.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Most Charlton fans i recall, myself included, were behind Pardews appointment (which came on the back of Varney assuring us that Les Reed was here to stay). - yet ultimately despite his silky, smooth "I can't believe it's not butter" would not melt in your mouth persona he was a total and utter, unabated first rate disaster.

Now a large proportion of the same fans are seemingly aghast at the prospect of the villainous Wise getting the job next week on the basis that he is a bully, a rogue, a taxi driver beating ne'er do well - with better managerial stats incidentally than Mr Pardew possessed at the time of his appointment that Christmas long ago..

As I am a simple man looking for guidance from really afar, who do I trust? This band of merry fans and my own 7 time zones away outside looking in instincts,whose judgement has been somewhat suspect on these matters in the past. Alternatively do I give a "it's your ball" nod to the big, bad ruthless new consortium who actually have to put their own money where their mouth is?? I mean it's their money that the boss gets to spend, so is it unreasonable that they get to choose the boss?

I'm not keen on Wise, but it's not my money and if they are going to put him there he will have my full support until such time as he proves his incompetence - and unfortunately for me Parky did that by the time his caretaker spell had propelled us deep into the relegation mire in Jan 2009.
  • Options
    Great post 'Rodders'.

Was'nt we all wanting and expecting major changes anyway with the new owners and new 'money' coming into the club?

It's great news that they have made an immediate impact and to me that sends out a message that they won't accept
    mediocrity and are willing to do what they think is necessary to change the clubs fortunes around.

I, for one am feeling quite positive about the clubs future and really hope that everyone will support the new manager
    whoever it is, and even if it is Wise, then PLEASE, let's make him feel welcome.....
  • Options
    Been enjoying Bangkok for a few days with mates, so didn't check out the news of this until late last night.
    If you look back to when the deal was supposed to go through 24th we have had 3 games so on top of the results prior to then, i think the new owners were always thinking about giving Parky up to the Spurs game if things didn't improve.

Personally i don't think he should have been appointed after his caretaker spell, but Murray probably didn't have much choice or more importantly more money to get someone in.

I think the new owners have done the right thing now, this league is very winnable from our current position and the right appointment could push us like we have seen with Norwich.

Wise doesn't bother me as an appointment, Poyet would be a great choice, I am surprised I haven't seen any calls for Di Canio this time around, but my preferred choice would be Houghton as i think he has a lot to offer as a coach and a manager
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great posting with which I agree. None of us like to celebrate people losing their jobs, but this action was unavoidable for new owners with ambition and the money behind them ( my guess is Dubai ) to achieve. The next big test for Mr. Jiminez in my opinion is the choice of new manager. If he picks his buddy Wise I will be desperately disappointed because in my view Wise has none of the inter personal skills that we will require, or indeed the managerial experience and potential to take us on what I believe is going to be a very exciting journey. However silly it may sound, I would not even be surprised to see someone of the calibre of Sam Allardyce arrive, pushing my luck a bit remember that the Premiership could be just two seasons from now. If that is our ambition then our forward plan has to have us thinking that way. The success of any business depends upon the quality of its people, bring it on !
  • Options
    A fair and balanced opening post, although like some I don't see us as a small club more middle weight.

Unlike Len Glover (take your point though) as one of the old gits on here I do want to be dragged in to the modern world of football, even if it is merely to bring to a head this decline.

We have been slowly dyeing as a club with, as mentioned, a lack of unity in our supporters. The events on the pitch have been reminiscent to the 60's.

With regard to the uncompromising slaughter of our management team I think it is a relief even for those who have tried to rally behind Parkinson. In business the worst decision is to make no decision when they are needed in tough times. They have acted promptly with knowledge of more than one match and I think it is in the best interest of the club. On the human side no one like to see a decent bloke lose his job but this is the harsh world of football and you either sink or swim there is no floating in mediocrity.
  • Options
    Forgive me if I tread water for a while. I understand the point of the article ( and anyone who spells supersede correctly gets a head start!), but I'm not ready to join in yet. It's not that I didn't understand why Parky, Breaker and Kins had to go, I did, but it hurts nevertheless. It's too early for me to be wholeheartedly supportive of the new faces. Solicitor (retired) always sends a chill through me, and the Guardian has partly explained that. Property developer likewise. RM had to sell, when financial desperation set in, choice became a luxury he could no longer afford and he then needed to sell to anyone who would buy, whether or not it was 'the right person'.
    I can see that the days of the football that I grew up with have changed, I can see why we have to adapt to survive, but I'm not yet sure that I want to be part of it. Already, there are rumblings that we won't be able to afford to keep the Academy, maybe there is no alternative, I don't know. And that essentially is the problem, there is so much I don't know at this stage. I'll turn up for games, I'll cheer for the team, (even though right now there's a few I'd like to kick very hard,), but I'll wait to see what unfolds before I embrace the new dawn.
  • Options
    Well-written article, but can't bring myself to agree with the underlying premise. Essentially "football has already gone to the dogs as far as honesty and integriy are concerned. Now let's rejoice that Charlton is finally ditching those values too."
  • Options
    Excellent, well constructed article RCT, and can fully see where your coming from.

But i've got this elastic strap around my waist attached to a machine brightly labelled CAUTION, and am very much in the aliwibble / stilladdicted mode of wanting to reserve judgement to see what emerges over the next few months.

Don't get me wrong, i desperately want to be signed up to the bright new future / unified approach more than anyone, but i'm not feeling it at the present. I'm not trusting the ownership of the club, and in turn i've not got any faith in the decision makers at the moment. There are too many unknowns for me at the moment.

Hopefully that will change in time and i look forward to singing their praises. But this time its not going to be dished out blindly, its going to have to be earnt a little first.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Well-written article, but can't bring myself to agree with the underlying premise. Essentially "football has already gone to the dogs as far as honesty and integriy are concerned. Now let's rejoice that Charlton is finally ditching those values too."

Brilliantly said.

[cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Excellent, well constructed article RCT, and can fully see where your coming from.

But i've got this elastic strap around my waist attached to a machine brightly labelled CAUTION, and am very much in the aliwibble / stilladdicted mode of wanting to reserve judgement to see what emerges over the next few months.

Don't get me wrong, i desperately want to be signed up to the bright new future / unified approach more than anyone, but i'm not feeling it at the present. I'm not trusting the ownership of the club, and in turn i've not got any faith in the decision makers at the moment. There are too many unknowns for me at the moment.

Hopefully that will change in time and i look forward to singing their praises. But this time its not going to be dished out blindly, its going to have to be earnt a little first.

Even more brilliant.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Well-written article, but can't bring myself to agree with the underlying premise. Essentially "football has already gone to the dogs as far as honesty and integriy are concerned. Now let's rejoice that Charlton is finally ditching those values too."

How is this anything new for Charlton? You remember how Reed was sacked, surely.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]

How is this anything new for Charlton? You remember how Reed was sacked, surely.

At least we really knew who the owners were, who was behind that decision, and how they had built up their wealth...
  • Options
    While I welcome a bit of ruthlessness I am worried that it will manifest itself in a way that won't suit us.

I wonder if, contrary to popular opinion, that the threat of administration hasn't increased in the medium term
  • Options
    I am not convinced that removing our entire layer of management without a statement that reflects the true reason and motive equates to a "bright, new direction".

We're now hearing some Del Boy type guff of how Jimmeyz contacts will be vital. It looks like we will soon be returning to a transfer policy similar to Pardew's scattergun approach that includes a large percentage of loan players making up our squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: mendonca[/cite]It looks like we will soon be returning to a transfer policy similar to Pardew's scattergun approach that includes a large percentage of loan players making up our squad.

Well, first I'll reserve judgement on that until we see who we have as a new manager, his track record and the way he puts his teams together.
  • Options
    I'm all at sea here - let's hope it's not a sinking ship or I'm scuppered !

Feel very much like AFKA. I'm quietly optimistic because Peter V and Muzza are involved. Enough said on that score.

I have been a Parky supporter in the way that I've been a supporter of all the managers I've known at our Club. However much it pains me though, I have to admit I felt it was time for him to move on to pastures new after Tues night's debacle. Posters on here have said it all on the relevant thread . However, IMHO , the players need to take a good look at themselves ....Wonder if they're feeling guilty at contributing to the dismissal of a " good egg" ? Or are they relieved that the incoming newbie might organise his resources more effectively and clarify their roles on the pitch ? Either way, they're going to have to up their game considerably.Success on the pitch will be demanded by the new owners.

On reflection, I am mildly excited ( I think !) and looking forward rather than back. Of course it matters what the new owners plans are and where the cash will come from. But to the average fan, what happens on the pitch is of paramount importance. Success and entertaining play will draw bigger crowds which in turn makes more money for the Club. Simples. And for that reason, the chaff must be separated from the wheat as soon as possible with the transfer window at our disposal. An unusual case for us of being in the right place at the right time.....

Whatever happens, the rollercoaster will continue to take our breath away whilst plunging us into the depths - hopefully more of the former, please . It's the Charlton way . Let's hope that shedloads of "doubters" decide to take their places on the ride and join us, the committed, in elevating this great club AND it's reputation to the top.

Onwards & upwards - ALWAYS !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fanny Fanackapan[/cite]However, IMHO , the players need to take a good look at themselves ....Wonder if they're feeling guilty at contributing to the dismissal of a " good egg" ? Or are they relieved that the incoming newbie might organise his resources more effectively and clarify their roles on the pitch ? Either way, they're going to have to up their game considerably.Success on the pitch will be demanded by the new owners.

IF ... and it is still very much an if ... we get what we all hope we will from the new owners and the club goes up, consolidates in the Championship and starts to challenge to get back to the Premiership ... then I doubt many of the current players on the books will still be with us.
  • Options

I dont think it is about us ditching those values in entirity Weegie. We still have Murray and Varney on board to ensure (one would hope) that we maintain a palatable level of decency and reputation. I would be very concerned if they were absent and it would have been a much more cynical and sceptical post. I think my point was that in addition to the old guard we now have a cutting edge in the new faces that will hopefully prove advantageous.

Whilst I am gutted for Parkinson, Kinsella and Breaker as people losing their jobs after trying their best in my mind it is a symptom of modern football when new owners come in and new owners want to stamp their mark when things arent running smoothly. It wasnt a shock for me and aside form the possibly dubiousness(sp?) of Slater's opening gambit I dont think it is any real scandal. If it had been a manager like Curbishley who was a time- served Charlton man with an unquestionable record then it would have warranted more abhorrance and I think our whole fanbase would be up in arms.

I dont want Wise near our club, dont have anything particularly against him really, but would prefer it not to be him as I dont really rate him much. But I think to condemn the new board on the premise of what "might" or "could" happen to us in the future is a bit premature.

Time will tell and I of course share Afka's and others caution but at the same time am trying to see the possible postives in a situation A.N. OTHER Charlton supporter has practically diddly squat control over realistically.
  • Options
    A well written and thought out article Rodney, one which has seen me read it at least 3 times and then follow onto the other comments on here. Where do I sit? Well as a supporter since 1960 I've been through the rollercoaster times as I have mentioned on other threads before, so I'll not go down that route again, BUT I have to say I'm excited whilst having a tinge of trepidation at this new dawn, a bit like meeting a blind date for the first time!

For too long now 'lil ol Charlton' have been wallowing in mediocrity since we lost our place at the top table. Now I have to say at this point I have supported and always will defend Mr Murray for the fact that he did what he could and kept the club from potential administration, and Parky also for working with little or no cash to improve the squad and I thank them both for the amount of incredible hardwork they have put in.

The new owners now have an opportunity to start to remove the 'lil ol Charlton' badge and move us forward (and upwards) into a new era, one in which we can compete. It may not happen for a few seasons, football as they say "Is a funny old game", but sometimes a change is as good as a rest and boy did we need a break!!
    I'm glad Richard and Peter are here to keep a steady hand on the tiller, but having installed a new engine we should see at what speed S & J want to move. I think that in just a few days we have moved from first to second gear, the next change (of gear) will see a new manager and IMHO that will show whether we are moving through the gears or 'stalling'.
    Their next move will have us all watching and hoping, the outcome will no doubt be debated on here, but for now I'm excited at the prospect that my 'blind date' may just be my hearts desire............I am nervous but the future, for once, could be great!!
  • Options
    All this not the Charlton way stuff makes me laugh. What did Richard Murray (one of our own) do soon after becoming chairman? Did he not dispose of Charlton legend Steve Gritt?
  • Options
    Anyone heard Jiminez speak yet ???

Thought not.And don't expect to.A true scholar of the ' Mike Ashley school of football directorship '

GULP!!
  • Options
    Maybe he's not a great public speaker or isnt good at speaking hence he's leaving the PR side to the lawyer who no doubt can dance around with words. He's there to spend his own hard earned dosh to run a football club and help get out of the financial mess we are in not applying for a presenting job on Newsnight.

Ok they have got rid of the management team swiftly which has upset many on here but that could be viewed as a business decision which may pay of depending on the performance of the next appointment whoever it may be. And they were completely in their rights to do so.

Whilst it is right that we are cautious and the most cynical/ fearful among us are worried they are just in it to make a quick buck and dont care if they shaft us in the process there is no evidence of that is what they intend to do and no evidence that that's what will happen. No evidence even that Dennis Wise will be next manager either.

It is all just pure speculation at the moment.

Give them a chance before condemning them a week into the takeover. Time will tell and if we collectively are appalled at the running of the club then they will face mass reaction from us.

Until then Im getting behind them and seeing how it unfolds. Grateful of the takeover, cautiously optimistic that we are going to turn things round and glad we have RM and PV overseeing it all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Anyone heard Jiminez speak yet ???

Thought not.And don't expect to.A true scholar of the ' Mike Ashley school of football directorship '

GULP!!

Murray hardly falls over himself to talk to the masses....
  • Options
    I believe there are a lot of misconceptions on here.

Richard Murray and Peter Varney can only make suggestions and advise Slater and Jiminez as the current administrators of the club.

They do not own the club, Slater and Jiminez do. If Slater and Jiminez want to sell the Valley, Sparrows Lane and install Wise as our next manager, there is nothing Murray and Varney can do about it. All they can do is resign - if they don't agree with it!

On another point, I saw a very telling moment during the last minutes of the 2nd half of the Swindon game. North Stand were chanting 'Parky Out' and Slater was watching them intently, not the game. We all know what happened after
    that . . .