Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++2010/11 Takeover complete - Owners unknown, Michael Slater and Tony Jimenez fronting+++

Comments

• Options
    I agree Prague - i think it will be alright.

I remember being behind the scenes (not with CAFC) when Murray was becoming involved. The club was badly positioned then and needed help. The position until the takeover by M Slater is the same now as it was then. With no takeover i would have feared for our position next season.
  • Options
    Prague I take it you have made progress in your investigating.

I take great hope in your post

As normal top work fella
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Prague I take it you have made progress in your investigating.

Or maybe he just read what Wyn got from another source?

guys this isnt about you, its about Charlton
  • Options
    Top post, Prague.

Sums up why we should all be glad that this has happened.
  • Options
    I don't understand floyd i haven't read anything from anyone that thinks this is about them.

Without people like Prague we proberly wouldn't be here right now

I feel a lot more comfortable knowing that the determination and inquisitiveness of such people are always looking into what happens next.

Me I am just convinced through no real detail no real sources that we have struck gold this time around so I wouldn't have the inclination or thought to look deeper.

But I am glad we have the people around that do want to know the ins and outs of a ducks arse
  • Options
    I don't understand why a financial backer would want to sit behind the scenes - it's not like we have a big cash flow that he can enjoy in private. If he isn't a fan who can gain gratification that way, what does he get out of it ?
  • Options
    Promotion (maybe twice) and the possibility of a seat at the big table where they can either look to cash in their chips or stick it all on red!
  • Options
    Great business to lose some money.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    I feel a lot more comfortable knowing that the determination and inquisitiveness of such people are always looking into what happens next.

so what has he done to merit praise except pour initial doubt on the backing of the takeover then pronounce its all OK, having received third hand news?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]so what has he done to merit praise except pour initial doubt on the backing of the takeover then pronounce its all OK, having received third hand news?

I'm not looking for any praise, but it is not third hand news, or second hand. I don't have any information about the bloke Wyn is talking about.

You dont know me and I dont know you, so I won't use the phrase "trust me".

You'll also find that my very first post after the announcement started "Cautiously pleased".

I would still like to know more about who is involved beyond the initial names, but I now understand the tactical reasons for not giving more details at this stage and I am confident that we will learn more quite soon, but probably not before the Jan window closes. I didnt have that understanding 12 hours ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PragueAddick
    Wish i was at the swindon game tomorrow would like to have a chat with you.Back home myself now and work begins in six hours time.Have an enjoyable game tomorrow and safe journey home.Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The thing about keeping this low key to throw other clubs off the scent doesn't fit that well. I'm certain those within football circles will know exactly who the backers are and this news will be filtered down to clubs when we come in for players, let's face it, it is in agent's interest to bump up any transfer fee they can.

However it does seemingly fit with Kevin Cash who for whatever reason wants to remain low key, similar to Marcus Evans who others have posted about but at least Ipswich know about him. I'm sure that for business reasons it is sensible to keep the funders hidden but as fans it is frustrating not knowing exactly who is involved.
  • Options
    Lewis

Cheers mate, was nice to meet you at Withdean. Never realised you lived in Cloggie-land :-) I'm pretty confident there will be some big reasons to call us both back to the Valley before the season ends.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]The thing about keeping this low key to throw other clubs off the scent doesn't fit that well.

There may not be any scent. There may not be any big money yet. The business strategy may be just to keep out of debt and stay sensible because most of the others, here and in the division above, are facing imminent financial disaster, which means that good non Prem players and their wages will become cheaper.

Makes sense to me. Just means that our signings will continue to be more Jonny Jackson than Claus Jensen.
  • Options
    I'd take a team of Johnny Jacksons!!

We'd do fine getting into the prem with that goalscoring record all round the team. :o)

I'm positive with this, simply as we're somewhat secure now... a few signings which has been hinted at will be fine, i'm not expecting miracles.. more, back in the Premiership by 2015 sort of improvement perhaps.
  • Options
    Prague Addick, I am hugely reassured by your post. Actually I'll go further and say that I am excited by it.

Knowing you as I do, I trust what you say and for the first time since the last season in the Premier League, I have reason to feel hopeful that something good may be around the corner for our club. That it is based around a long-term vision, rather than the splashing of cash in the short term makes me more confident that some serious players are involved supported by people like RM and PV who I am sure have learned a lot from the triumphs and disasters of the past few years.

The sun is rising again over SE7, that I am sure is the message of the last few days.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]
    I think there is more to the new ownership than just messrs Slater and Jiminez, but there is definitely a strategy to keep things low key because otherwise other clubs will smell money and make life difficult. So on that basis we'd probably be doing them a favour if we let the new team bed in, especially in January, and see how it all plays out.[/quote]

I think we all need to read & believe this....totally appreciate people wanting to know everything as it affects our club, but it's only day 4 of the "new regime"...let's sit back and see what happens? It could be to our benefit!?!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]
    You dont know me and I dont know you, so I won't use the phrase "trust me".

Nevertheless, I will trust your more positive feeling about this takeover.
    Good news indeed

Hopefully you have assuaged the doubters on this list too!

Many thanks
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Arry Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]
    I think there is more to the new ownership than just messrs Slater and Jiminez, but there is definitely a strategy to keep things low key because otherwise other clubs will smell money and make life difficult. So on that basis we'd probably be doing them a favour if we let the new team bed in, especially in January, and see how it all plays out.

I think we all need to read & believe this....totally appreciate people wanting to know everything as it affects our club, but it's only day 4 of the "new regime"...let's sit back and see what happens? It could be to our benefit!?!

Whether everyone will read and belive is doubtful, however I echo the thoughts of others on here that maybe, just maybe, this takeover is bigger than we currently know. Do we really want to be paying inflated prices for players just because we have new owner(s) that are 'loaded', or would we rather pay sensible prices? Perhaps that's the driver for the secrecy?
    I dont know anymore than anyone else on here, but I just have a gut feeling that there is more to this takeover than meets the eye. A few people like Jimenez and Slater with a few bob behind them buying a tier 3 football club would not seem to make much financial sense in the current financial climate....but a person(s), with large wealth may just see this as a chance to make a decent return in 4/5 years after picking up a club realatively cheaply and having a commercial 3/5 plan to take the club back to the premiership without putting at risk the foundations.
    Having worked in financial services in the past and also worked for some serious players in other industries in Asia and other parts of the world this is how some of them operate, i.e dont show all your cards up front.....thats how they tend to get the best result.
    Just my opinion, but based on previous experience (not in football or sport) and reading some of the comments on here.
    I think we will find out the truth in time.....but perhaps now is the time to be patient, look at what happens in the transfer market and support the team and the new regime.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Redmidland[/cite]....but a person(s), with large wealth may just see this as a chance to make a decent return in 4/5 years after picking up a club realatively cheaply and having a commercial 3/5 plan to take the club back to the premiership without putting at risk the foundations.

Wasn't being in the premiership a major factor in our financial problems? We could not compete at that level without significant extra investment which was inevitably high-risk because sooner or later a club of our size is likely to be relegated. The lesson from the premiership was that the faster money comes in, the faster it goes out again. And relegation means the income dries up a lot quicker than the expenditure. Long term or short term, I don't think there is any realistic prospect of a decent return from investing in Charlton, as Richard Murray has been careful to point out.

The takeover certainly looks like good news, albeit subject to clarification of the detailed business plan, but I have seen nothing to suggest there is an unnamed backer or any more than a very sensible, but fairly obvious, general strategy for managing a football club in our position. I will be very pleased if I am proved wrong, but I will also be pleased if we have done nothing more than seen off the wolf at the door.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]

so what has he done to merit praise except pour initial doubt on the backing of the takeover then pronounce its all OK, having received third hand news?

If I am correct PragueAddick was responsible for the poster campaign that was instrumental in getting us back to the Valley (but is probably too modest to mention this).
  • Options
    The 'slowly, slowly, catchy monkey' argument makes sense. What I don't quite understand is why they feel that the 'buy low, sell high' strategy will work in todays football industry. I guess it's about timing and insider knowledge as ever and I'm sure there are some savvy brains behind this. I would always have supported the team whatever happened, but as for patience, I'll leave it to the Iron Lady who once said, 'I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.' :-)
  • Options
    I was very happy with the takeover anyway but I'm even happier having read what Prague Addick had to say.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]

If I am correct PragueAddick was responsible for the poster campaign that was instrumental in getting us back to the Valley (but is probably too modest to mention this).

And I've still got copies of the Valley Party election posters:

SAM BARTRAM CAN'T SAVE CHARLTON THIS TIME - BUT YOU CAN

LET'S SEND THE COUNCIL TO CROYDON AND SEE HOW THEY LIKE IT

REMEMBER WHEN YOU WERE PROUD TO COME FROM CHARLTON? (with pic of Don Welsh and FA cup)

etc.

Others involved , too - Dave Buchanan is one name I remember. Think Rick Everitt and Steve Dixon probably tossed ideas in, too.

I was slightly constrained in my support for the VP, as at the time I was employed by one N. Kinnock as editor-in-chief of the Labour Party's publications dept and the VP was running against official Lab Party candidates, of course.

But they had my full (off-the-record) support and I admired the posters hugely and realised that they were far better and cleverer than anything Chris Powell (a colleague of Dave Buchanan's at BMP), Philip Gould and co. were producing for the Lab Party at the time...
  • Options
    I would concur that if Prague Addick is happier about the takeover then that is a very positive sign.

This is a man whose ACTIONS, not mere words on a forum, played a large part in getting us The Valley back. He has "Charlton values" engraved on his heart as far as I can see so I for one am encouraged by what he has to say.
  • Options
    Echo that Len. Everyone who remembers the campaign to get us back to the Valley is well aware of Prague and his massive contribution. I expect he still has excellent contacts within the club as well. For what its worth I heard from a good source, weeks ago that there was significant money backing the purchase and that getting back to the premiership in the shortest time was the aim without wasting money. Names were not known though.
  • Options
    These endorsements should be enough to calm any concerns and have us all looking forward to the next chapter in the Charlton story. Thanks all for their input and especiaaly PA who's take should put this one to bed.
  • Options
    Thanks all for the very kind words.

And now a word of warning. I come from the Oggy Red school of optimism. And a lot of present and past directors are very nice to me despite the fact that I haven't played any role to speak of since we returned to the Valley (my "six months" in Prague started literally the following Monday). I tend to be ready to believe what they may tell me. One or two people here whom I respect, and who might be closer to things than me, may be slightly more sceptical.

So it would be good and healthy to continue asking questions about who now runs the club, and what its future strategy is. But for my part I'll now be doing it on the basis that the new Board is a good one, deserves our support. Back to "Ask not what your Club can do for you, Ask what you can do for your Club". And in particular I won't be encouraging the idea of big money coming in, because I don't believe there will be in the short term. I'm just glad that we can be fairly sure that our CAFC will still be around.

Also various directors past and present do read this board. And they are only human.
  • Options
    As Above:

Just Thankful that we're one of afew clubs who are "debt-free".

(Thanks again to PA for all your work....)
  • Options
    The thing that is rather good then, is that every defeat need not now be the end of the world, and wins can be enjoyed rather than greeted with a sense of relief.
    If we have to play football in this division, it may now be possible to enjoy a good bit of play here, the development of a young player there, the contest on the pitch, and to even start looking at the league table again....something I have avoided for about the past four or five years!