Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++2010/11 Takeover complete - Owners unknown, Michael Slater and Tony Jimenez fronting+++

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: coltsgoalie[/cite]gus poyet wont replace parkinson if he does go to preston, brighton are going places charlton at the moment arnt they are moving into a new stadium and they have a better following

I agree re Poyet but Brighton have a bigger following !! your having a laugh
  • Options
    pmsl after the intial joy of the new staduim in say two seasons they will be poorly supported as ever
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: coltsgoalie[/cite]and they have a better following

What facts do you have to back up that interesting assertion?
  • Options
    years ago when they where in the old first division they used pack there stadium also they are the only big club in essex and when they get promoted more fans will be attracted whereas in london there are loads of big teams
  • Options
    Essex ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: coltsgoalie[/cite]years ago when they where in the old first division they used pack there stadium also they are the only big club in essex and when they get promoted more fans will be attracted whereas in london there are loads of big teams

Brighton is in essex?
  • Options
    ment sussex
  • Options
    Too much sex on this site!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I'm pleased that the takeover has gone through, but I'd like to know who's money is behind it and whether the club is being saddled with debt. I don't want to put a dampener on things but it may be that we are moving from debt crisis to another, and postponing problems rtaher than cancelling them.

that is what i've been thinking .....
    the real test of football club owners is when things don't go right on the football pitch
    murray was the greatest chairman in the world when king curbs was holding it together but once he left we then fell apart as a club and murray was found severely wanting
    so the real test for the invisible owners will come if we fail to get promoted within the next season and a half and then we'll see how much dough they want to piss away into the black hole that is our football club
    hopefully it'll be plain sailing and they wont be tested !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    been talking to a couple of mates who know Mr Jimenez, and all seems positive on that front. Supposedly a good guy, well connected and although not super rich, enough to make an impact in League 1 if required. If that's the case, I'll let him off the fact that he was at every Millwall home game when Wise was manager and he now has a Chelsea season ticket. Saying that, I still think there's a group behind them....

This is an interesting link...
  • Options
    allez

I've been wondering about Jiminez since the news came out. I'm interested in what you wrote. On another thread, I wrote the following, and I would be interested in what your mates might say about it, if you'd feel like asking.

I believe Tony Jiminez is richer than me and probably everybody on this Forum. But is he rich enough to be able to purchase controlling equity in a club costing, maybe, 30m? Maybe he is. But so far I'm not sure i see the signs of that. It slightly worries me when I read past articles talking about his 'meteoric' rise from "security manager" at Chelsea.

And then I would have another question. If he is so minted, why didnt he take equity in Newcastle? He seems to have taken on a salaried role, and then he was fired, with the ritual explanation "leaving to pursue other interests". if you are seriously rich, do you allow yourself to be humiliated in that way?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Prague, I was chatting further to 1 of them (Jimenez is a friend of his family), and although it isn't the juiciest of info, it made me feel a little more confident than I was (I haven't read everything on here so sorry if I'm repeating anything). Coincidentally I'm seeing someone for a drink tomorrow who has come across Jimenez in business so will try and dig some more.....

Anyway I was basically saying the same things as you and to summarise, he said the following:

> He's rich but would be stretching his resources if he investing in us alone. something to the effect of "he's rich but you can't get THAT rich through dabbling as a football agent and property developer".

> My mate said that "he's probably the best networker I know, and in many different fields, so the idea of him leading a consortium makes sense". If you look at what Jimenez has been involved in before, he has met and dealt with some seriously wealthy people. It would only need 3-4 of them to put into a pot and that would have sufficient funds, with the potential for more if we push on and require it. He also reckoned that the presence of Slater, who is, of course getting paid one way or another, leads credence to this theory.

> As for his role in football before, my mate called him a "poor man's Pini Zahavi", and apparently he has sorted out deals for us before when we were in the Premiership. Also knows us through Jeff Vetere, who he is mates with and used to work here.

> Finally said "Nice guy as it goes, despite looking like a guy you wouldn't mess about with!", which made me laugh!
  • Options
    Slowly a picture is emerging from the fog and the information that is coming out about Jiminez is for me at least encouraging. Where does Slater fit into all of this though ?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Slowly a picture is emerging from the fog and the information that is coming out about Jiminez is for me at least encouraging. Where does Slater fit into all of this though ?

You always need a "friendly" lawyer on board to help cover/uncover the bodies - in a contractual sense, of course!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]been talking to a couple of mates who know Mr Jimenez, and all seems positive on that front. Supposedly a good guy, well connected and although not super rich, enough to make an impact in League 1 if required. If that's the case, I'll let him off the fact that he was at every Millwall home game when Wise was manager and he now has a Chelsea season ticket. Saying that, I still think there's a group behind them....

[url=http://www.entrepreneur.com/tradejournals/article/181943872.html]This is an interesting link...[/url][/quote]

Are there any rich people who do not like Jimenez?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Slowly a picture is emerging from the fog and the information that is coming out about Jiminez is for me at least encouraging. Where does Slater fit into all of this though ?

A retired solicitor, accustomed to the Swiss methods of financial dealings for high end clients and a successful businessman in his own right. Presumably Jim judges him to be capable of sorting out the finances, keeping an eye on all things contractual and getting a loss making business back on track?

Hopefully, somewhere in the plans, it will also involve increasing the gate takings by improving the quality of the product, or am I just being silly now?
  • Options
    Nope, that's what he said in the interview - he wants to increase the gates by improving the team.

All sounds like good stuff, so why am I nervous?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Nope, that's what he said in the interview - he wants to increase the gates by improving the team.

I'm nervous cos it isn't all clear who owns us and obviously they're in it to make money , they're not here cos killer was their hero as kids and they won the euro lottery
    So what are they prepared to risk to make the money
    Are they here on a free bet basis , borrowing/leveraging up against the club assets like man united and if we're not successful where will that leave us , the last bit is what scares me, at what point will they try and offload the white elephant
  • Options
    edited January 2011
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Nope, that's what he said in the interview - he wants to increase the gates by improving the team.

I'm nervous cos it isn't all clear who owns us and obviously they're in it to make money , they're not here cos killer was their hero as kids and they won the euro lottery
    So what are they prepared to risk to make the money
    Are they here on a free bet basis , borrowing/leveraging up against the club assets like man united and if we're not successful where will that leave us , the last bit is what scares me, at what point will they try and offload the white elephant

That's exactly my jitter point as well. RM said a while back that he was glad that he had been careful to tell the directors that football wasn't going to make them rich and that they could lose their money. With massively overpaid footballers, football as a business is plain crazy. We get told that football is about more than business, it's about a love for the game. I'm not feeling the love at Charlton.
  • Options
    They are not going to come out and say we're representing X and Y from Outer Mongolia who are mad football nuts and are willing to sepnd almost anything on achieving their dream of running a successful Premier League club - are they now!

If they did that, transfer prices would rocket for us beyond belief! I think their initial attitude was positive, yet cautious - the right way to be. Let's see how January's transfer window turns out before anybody gets nervous!
  • Options
    They are not going to come out and say we're representing X and Y from Outer Mongolia who are mad football nuts and are willing to sepnd almost anything on achieving their dream of running a successful Premier League club - are they now!

If they did that, transfer prices would rocket for us beyond belief! I think their initial attitude was positive, yet cautious - the right way to be. Let's see how January's transfer window turns out before anybody gets nervous!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]They are not going to come out and say we're representing X and Y from Outer Mongolia who are mad football nuts and are willing to sepnd almost anything on achieving their dream of running a successful Premier League club - are they now!

Can't they just whisper us then?
  • Options
    Agreed - to get out of this league- not a lot of money is required but we do need to bring in 2 or 3 of the right players - For me a Striker, left back and wide player in that order.
  • Options
    To me, the positive thing about Swiss Tony and Co is that hopefully we are tapping into a different and better scouting network. I know i've mentioned it before but since Curbs left, i've felt the rest of the football world has seen us coming. As the Dowie and Pardew era proved, there's no point spending money on players unless they are the right players and i think you can have as many goalkeeping, diet and tactical and feng shui coaches as you like but the Manager and his scouting network is the most important ingredient. A manager lives and dies by the players he brings in and i reckon Wise is going to be the scout and any players Parkinson brings in will bew on his say so. If he doesn't like it he will walk and the new manager may come in sooner rather than later or Wise will hold the fort until we take Poyet in the summer - that's my guess and i'd be happy with that.
  • Options
    Bexley Dan

I don't want to keep banging on about Wise, especially as Michael Slater has a done a 'read my lips, he's not involved'.

But if you examine the stories of the "Cockney Mafia" at the Toon, you'll find three names involved with Ashley. Wise, Jininez,- and Jeff Vetere. He was previously with us as global scout. I believe he was well thought of, his main problem with us was that the world is a big place. I actually spoke to him on the phone once after the Czechs nearly won Euro 2004. He was well on top of who from that team might be available.

The point is that at Newcastle, Vetere was the scouting experience. Wise, I suspect, is more interested in the "dealing" than the talent side of transfers, and I am still not clear what Jiminez role at Newcastle was supposed to be.

Lets be clear that any manager who can only bring players in on the say-so of another ex pro footballer will not feel he is the manager. That is the way it works in English football.
  • Options
    Does anyone know how keeping the backers a secret i.e Leeds, Notts County us etc etc plays with the FA regarding conflict of interests, i.e if our backers actually owned another club in England.
  • Options
    It has to be somebody with big money behind us imo. Who else would gamble on a L1 club losing millions each year?