Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton chase Daggers star

Comments

• Benson has had three stages in his Charlton career.

The first few matches he looked out of his depth, and we as a team weren't getting the ball in the area anywhere near often enough. Then Anyinsah came into the starting XI and started creating chances and he took them. Then Anyinsah got injured and he went off the boil and is down to feeding off scraps and looks out of his depth again.

I'd conclude that he needs the right type of players around him and he needs Anyinsah/Jackson/Wagstaff to create chances, get the ball to him and he'll score goals.
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Benson is a decent player, get off the blokes back

Are you talking from the POV of a Daggers fan?
    I am sure he was a good player for them, but for us he has not done much.
    Scored a few yeah OK- but his hold up play and control is poor.
    Steve Brown gave him a grilling on the commentary last night, and thats coming from a bloke who wants the best for CAFC.
    Benson, (like a few in our squad) is floating along collecting wages whilst putting in half arsed performances week in week out.
  • WSSWSS
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Jarman[/cite]Steve Brown gave him a grilling on the commentary last night, and thats coming from a bloke who wants the best for CAFC.
    Going a bit off topic but I felt last night that Brownie was feeling bitter for one reason or another with regards to us.
  • edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Jarman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Benson is a decent player, get off the blokes back

Steve Brown gave him a grilling on the commentary last night, and thats coming from a bloke who wants the best for CAFC.
    Benson, (like a few in our squad) is floating along collecting wages whilst putting in half arsed performances week in week out.

He's never going to play the lone striker role. He isn't someone to lead the line. If he had been signed as a target man then fine slag him off all you want. But.......he is a poacher. He is feeding off scraps and hoofed long balls most of the time.

As for Brown wanting whats best for Charlton. Don't make me laugh. He is employed by Brighton. I can assure you his loyalties would have been to one team last night.

To be honest some of what he came out with last night was laughable and reeked of sour grapes.
  • he's employed by Brighton and so was between a rock and a hard place. I thought he made some good points about our play, about Benson and about Parky's tactical inepititude.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]he's employed by Brighton and so was between a rock and a hard place. I thought he made some good points about our play, about Benson and about Parky's tactical inepititude.

You must have been wanking yourself off when he was saying that
  • edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Jarman[/cite]Steve Brown gave him a grilling on the commentary last night, and thats coming from a bloke who wants the best for CAFC.
    Going a bit off topic but I felt last night that Brownie was feeling bitter for one reason or another with regards to us.
    He and Parky were at Reading together, I wonder if there's an old grudge that got woken up last night?
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]he's employed by Brighton and so was between a rock and a hard place. I thought he made some good points about our play, about Benson and about Parky's tactical inepititude.

Can't believe this comment took 36 posts to appear.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Jarman[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Benson is a decent player, get off the blokes back[/quote]

Benson, (like a few in our squad) is floating along collecting wages whilst putting in half arsed performances week in week out.[/quote]

The point has been made before about Derek Hales - a rubbish footballer and useless unless he was a few yards out with the ball at his feet. I don't remember him ever putting himself out for the team, but he could score goals when given the chance and the service.

I'd rather if we are going to play a goal-poacher type that he doesn't go bombing around the pitch looking for possession and winning the ball down by the corner flag only for there to be no one in the box. That is the job of our other players and football being a team game it's up to the team to win the ball and get it to Benson.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

Yeah Id agree with that. Wound me up when he kept refering to Brighton as "US"....fair enough he is a Brighton lad, but if thats the case put him on Radio Sussex, not Radio London...another commentating gaff by the BBC...bring back Nelse I say...
  • Sponsored links:

• would you have preferred dear old Emma ? Thought not.
  • Steve Brown was only offering constructive criticism of our tactics.
    We were only playing against ten men for most of the game.
    Clive Walker has voiced the same opinions about our tactics in some of our games.
  • I really don't understand the criticism of Brownie on here today. I thought he told it as he saw it and if he said 'us' a few too many times it's because he works for them. So what. Still a Charlton legend.
  • would you have preferred dear old Emma ? Thought not...... large addick

You think right there large!......
  • I thought he was hurting for being over looked when we required a coach. Parkinson would never have took him on and went for breaker.

Brown was spot on last night summed up 2 seasons in one performance not enough fire power. Good quality in places on the pitch and poor decisions tactically from the mgr

I heard nothing that was not true. He appologised for saying us to both brighton fans listening and charlton.

He loves us that was obvious and he is disgusted we have ended up in div 3.

I'd employ him to watch over parky every day of the week he needs someone to challenge his decisions not nod like the dog from the advert
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]... not nod like the dog from the advert

Nods in agreement
  • awwww yes...
  • Bilmey, Breacker getting the same stick and abuse Mervyn Day got in the past, original bunch aren't we
  • awww yes....
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Bilmey, Breacker getting the same stick and abuse Mervyn Day got in the past, original bunch aren't we

Think you may have missed the intended humorous content of the previous 2 comments . although wasn't that funny I suppose ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• awww yes....

Ok, I'll stop now....

:-)
  • I ain't giving breaker stick I am mearly making an observation . Browny should've been employed in some capacity by Parkinson
  • Pardew brought his team from Upton Park minus Brown, I think that's where it started
  • Pardew knew it would be no good trying to fool brown so he left him behind the bstd
  • what makes me laugh is everything I have read on here about Brownie's comments were exactly how I saw the game last night, although the fog and running track seperating the the away end from the pitch did make it difficult at times.In the past people respected his views, sometimes the truth hurts, but imo his comments last night were honest and spot on.
  • is Browny any good though? only time will tell
  • Wasn't there and no one has actually explained it, what were the poor tactics Parky used and what should he have been doing? Not saying it's wrong, just without being there it's not clear what these poor tactics were.

Surely one of the biggest problems was simply a lack of options. Had we put Abbott on for Anyinsah we'd have lacked pace up front, but with Martin and Benson together we lack a physical presence.
  • There was a song once it went something like this

Oh Stevie brown won't let you down
    Oh Stevie brown won't let you down

And he never ever did

I asked the question on Saturday to a few liters who was the last player we had that would run through walls would die for our club the only names that come up

Rufus
    Brown
    Robinson
    Kinsella

If anyone of those 4 spoke about our club I would believe every word they said

I said after brentford there is something wrong with staff on the bench kinsella looks beaten imo

Looks to me that brown is trying to let you know things aint right yet you choose not to listen

Parkinson or brown I know who's opinion I value most
  • Reading supporters will tell you that Parky ran through walls for them.
  • Good Oggster cos when they want a new. Manager he can go there no one will question him then.