Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs. Sheffield Wednesday (30/10/2010) - Preview, Polls, Teams, Views, News

WSSWSS
edited October 2010 in General Charlton
As the Katy Perry song goes, “That’s what you get when waking up in Vegas”. On Saturday I woke up to see we were 3-0 up against Carlisle and promptly fell back to sleep only to be awoken to be told it was 3-3. The next text I got I was fully expecting to be told that we managed to complete the implosion only to be relieved that Benno popped up with the winner.

I dread to think how the confidence of the players would have been if they had followed up a diabolical 4-0 home defeat with sacrificing a three goal lead away from home yet if this team has anything going for it, it is the fact that we play to the end. The number of goals we have scored in the final minutes this season is more than I can ever remember and this is testament to the players’ and managements fitness and work ethic.

We do however seem to be conceding goals at an alarming rate at the moment and it needs to be addressed. That being said come Saturday’s game I can’t see any changes being made by Parky to the defence or the team as a whole. With Reid still out Jackson is likely to continue on the left with the rest of the midfield picking itself.

The partnership between Anyinsah and Benson looked promising at the weekend and the speed that Joe offers is likely to unsettle many defences in this league. If Benson continues his recent goalscoring form then he will quickly become a very important member of our team and many doubters will be proved wrong.

The league is incredibly tight at the moment and that is highlighted by the fact that if we win on Saturday we will go above Sheffield Wednesday – who currently sit in 4th place. A run of three or four wins can turn an incredibly average start to a decent start (in league position at least).

I’m wary about mentioning the turning of corners or gelling of players as I had the same feeling prior to the Brighton game, therefore, I’m bringing out Razil’s fence and firmly perching upon it. 2-2.

Come on you reds.

Comments

• Shaky at home with a nervous and impatient home crowd (understandably) and I think we will lose this one.....sincerely hope Im wrong as I was with Carlisle
  • Weaver will have an outstanding game so we'll have to improve our defending to get a result.
  • This will be only the second time this season the entire Incorruptible family is able to attend (adult sons in their thirties who behave like they're still in the Junior Reds by expecting dad to pay for their tickets - what can you do?)

As it will be a rare family reunion, sod's law dictates that after 11 goals in two games, we will be treated to a dull and lifeless 0-0 draw...

Would settle for the point and have voted for the draw. But hopefully I'm wrong about the 0-0 and WSS is closer to the mark with his 2-2 and we will at least be entertained.
  • Shaky 2-1 victory
  • Someone posted it was 49 games since our last 0-0 so the score will be 0-0 now.
  • The way we're conceding goals at the moment, I'm going for 3-2 to us.
  • A draw for me, a performance that would keep the Parky outers wanting him out and his supporters would use it as why he should stay. Benson on a bit of a streak at the moment, would be nice if he could get one at the Valley, but can see our defence shipping at least one goal. Score: 2-2.
  • I would like to see GD dropped and have JF and CD in the centre to be honest.

Think we'll surprise a few people 2-0 Charlton.
  • I've gone for a Wednesday win because everytime I have gone for a Charlton win we haven't. I went for a Carlisle win last week and it did the trick - just ! So hopefully the same result again on Saturday.

Our season is at a point where it could go either way. The same can be said for Parky's prospects. It's all very precarious at the moment, but I'm encouraged by 4 goals and more chances. I feel this is key to our success and am happy that we now have some pace in the attack which in turn seems to be helping Benson. Jackson is less direct than Reid but will support the midfield a bit more which I think will help Racon so this could be the start of something a bit more positive.
  • think we'll score but we are more likely to concede more than we score so I'm going for a Wednesday 2-1 win. Think they have only conceded 8 all season whilst we have conceded 9 in the last three games. Found our scoring boots but we really need to tighten up defensively. The Doc needs to be dropped, he's surely now behind Llera in the pecking order.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just cannot see a back-to-back win for us at all! All my family coming (3 generations) to this so here's hoping (X).

Whilst pleased, I am not at all convinced by the Carlisle result. The 4 goals scored has been ruined by conceding 3 (7 in 2 games!) The central defence and midfield is still a big problem.

I would like to see Docherty and Racon dropped, probably for Fortune and McCormack, the latter deserves another bite now and may fair better with Jackson alongside him in midfield.
  • Would like to see Worner get a start and Robbie rested. I thought Worner looked good, bit like I always preferred Randolph last season, and Robbie is shaky at the moment. Fortune didn't look fit to me - so I think we stay with the same line-up as Carlisle. Hope the defence can get its act together as I think Benson and Ayinsah seem to be doing up front. If we can then I think 3-1.
  • The main thing I want is that we play well in both halves, rather than just one as recently. It has the look of a high scoring draw, so I will push the boat out for 3-3. I definitely think Matt Fry at left back and Johnny Jackson at left mid are the best option for us, and hope to see a few more seats filled.
  • Dont worry every1 im sure Charlton will come up with the goods on saturday for some reason, i have total belief. I will say a 2-0 win, 2-1 to charlton at the very worst! COYR!!!
  • edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite]Shaky at home with a nervous and impatient home crowd (understandably) and I think we will lose this one.....sincerely hope Im wrong as I was with Carlisle

I'm a Wednesday fan and that sentence could have been about us this season.

Looking at the bare stat's it absolutely screams a draw and TBH, pretty much all Wednesday fans would take that.
    We have similar records in shots on target, saves, goals scored etc.etc.
  • edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]The main thing I want is that we play well in both halves, rather than just one as recently. It has the look of a high scoring draw, so I will push the boat out for 3-3. I definitely think Matt Fry at left back and Johnny Jackson at left mid are the best option for us, and hope to see a few more seats filled.

Again...sounds like our fans talking matey...though the way things have been going just one half of the good stuff will do us at the moment, two not only seems greedy but also way beyond our players and manager.

I reckon 2-2 looks about right and if that's right it could be a reasonably entertaining game, I hope so anyway...I always enjoy the trip down to your place but having at least a couple of reasons to cheer during the game will make it even better.
  • If Anyinsah is playing then i think we could win but i think a draw is likely
  • Gone for a draw but quite frankly I have no idea.
  • After witnessing last weeks defensive shambles in the second half - it must be Fortune for Docherty. His mistakes, lack of pace and poor positioning is unsettling the rest of the Back Four. McCormack for Racon will also tighten up the midfield. We are too open as a team when the opposition have possession and need two holding midfielders if both full backs and the two wide players are going to bomb forward whenever we cross the halfway line. Parky was brave to stick with 4-4-2 away from home last week, when another defeat would have put him in the last chance saloon. No point changing for a home match after winning away.

Benson, Anyinsah and Wagstaff were all outstanding last week. More of the same please, and another 3 points. But impossible to predict with any confidence.
  • This is Charlton so I expect another frustrating home performance with our "fans" being their usual encouraging selves.

Draw at best. Probably a defeat.

PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• I dreamt we won 4-0, meaning we will lose
  • I hate Sheffield wednesday! I went up north to see Charlton play away last season, horrible.
  • How bizarre.
  • edited October 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]How bizarre.[/quote]

More likely his parents are related
  • Wednesday sold at least 1800 as of yesterday.
  • Yeah we did, expect around 2k which isn't too bad given the fact we're shite
  • [cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]and hope to see a few more seats filled.

what? after the last home performance?
  • I'd say it's 4 times what we will take up to yours, so yeah.
  • 1-0 win
    would love to see us keep a clean sheet against one of the leagues better teams but doubt it
  • Don't have a clue. The fact that we're playing Sheff Weds will at least let me imagine for a few sweet moments that we're not in Div 3.

Would really like to see Fortune comee in for Doc.

Anyone know how you pronounce "Anyinsah"? Looking forward to seeing him play - Benno and Abbott up front wasn'tt working.