Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v MK Dons - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Looked more like a team last night and did well considering the ref tried to spoil the game, I can't wait to see the decision that could have turned the game last night.
    Racon and Semedo were very good last night, especially the man who hates Millwall. The defense looked a unit for the first time in a while (as many know I do not like Docherty and cannot wait for a Dailly/Fortune partnership).

Most pleasing thing for me was Benson, a lot on here will not agree but that was the first decent performance from him since the Daggers cup game. His overall game improved and as well as getting three decent efforts in on goal he put in three very decent crosses
  • Options
    Much needed win last night with us looking the better side throughout, though I could not see where a goal was coming from. Looked lightweight up front at times, but glad to see Benson get off the mark with a great cross from Reidy.
    Worner did not have a great deal to do last night. Did they have a shot on target?
    Back four looked more solid with the new French lad at centre half (See last night’s programme) and the 2 in Centre midfield taking more control of the game for once.
    Tough one this Saturday, and would gladly take a point from it.
  • Options
    Positive after last night, 0-0 written all over it, untill benson grab that goal, Fort Semedo and Racon played very well and Big Forch just makes everyone round him look more calm and composed than Mad Miguel when he plays
  • Options
    A solid performance. I think the criticism of Martin is harsh. He created a very chance for semedo. Some interesting choices for Saturday. Only nailed on players are benno Martin Francis semedo and racon.

Im not sure if daily and Fortch would work. I see Henry point. It is possible Dailly could play as the first ball centre back though abstract Fortch sweep. Reid has to start if fit but then what do you do with Jackson, back to left back?

Worners done well. But should Robbie come back on Saturday? Abbott and anyinsah fit do does one of them partner benno or do we leave Martin there?
  • Options
    Sorry I will not post from my phone again!
  • Options
    Poor game, but hopefully Benson's goal will be the first of a few.
    Felt a bit sorry for him over the last couple of games, as he seems to have been working hard outside the box but not getting the chances in front of goal - which is obviously where his strength lies, and why we bought him.
    And it's hardly his fault that we've broken our very limited bank account to bring him in at a relative fraction of the cost of some of our other not so long departed strikers.
  • Options
    Plusses:-
    We won
    Benson broke his duck with well taken goal and threatened on other occasions
    Defence looked solid and clean sheet for Worner
    Return of JF (but can we play him with Dailly, 2 second ball defenders)
    Game changing sub by Parky (hope Reid’s niggling hammy goes away)
    In touching distance of play-offs again
    Minuses:-
    Poor game, even at home conceding possession for long spells
    No attempt to play in oppo half by pushing up, even when not in the game
    Scrambled over the line by the odd goal again, reminiscent of last season
    Hopeless ref again, why do they see a tangle and guess who caused it – blow for a foul if you see one
  • Options
    Whilst I am pleased we have won again (Three 1-0's at home already this season) think if anything we looked worse than Saturday. It truly was a painful game to watch not aided by the incompetent referee.

No-one played well in my opinion with the excption of Reid for his 15 minute cameo, some workmanlike performances for sure. It was enough for tonight & that was all that was required. Must do better though.
  • Options
    Also I think Martin looks better wide as in the middle he seems to do a Rooney and wander too much
  • Options
    Average performance, boring game. They could have won it in the second half with the only real chance before Benson but we pulled through in the end and a win is a win

What was that "war, what is it good for?" about?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: sinking feesh[/cite]What was that "war, what is it good for?" about?
    The referee's name was Waugh.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm not convinced that we played any better, more that MK Dons were less of a threat. But they worked at it and I was relieved to see Benson open his scoring sheet. Reid seemed to have taken Still's advice on-board. What interested me was the Reid cameo. The supporters were calling for him, and when he came on he really changed the whole atmosphere. The supporters made a lot of noise and the whole team seemed to respond with renewed vigour so that the panic play due to fear of conceding the late goal wasn't so apparent. For me it was a very clear lesson in the postive effects of supporting your team and long may it last.
  • Options
    Good hard fought win against an established top 8 League One Side.

Fortune made a massive difference with his calmness and I look forward to a Dailly/Fortune partnership in the long term.

Racon was my MOM, thought he was superb. Everyone put a shift in other than Wagstaff who should have been substituted at half time IMO.

Right side still a problem, dont mind Francis as a defender but his distribution is terrible, maybe Martin has to go back to the wing???

Last night showed just how much we miss Richardson/Sam :(

Glad Benson got his goal, took it really well and I thought a lot of his hold up play was good at times.

Glad to see the players (Benson and Martin in particular) really putting in a shift and chasing a few lost causes and putting pressure on the keeper, we have missed that.

All in all still a work in progress but encouraged, need to pick up a win out of these two away games though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]Tough one this Saturday, and would gladly take a point from it.

yep with 4 goals and 6 points from 9 games and rooted to the bottom of the table they don't come much tougher than this , a point would be most welcome
  • Options
    It was a poor game neither side created alot.

Pleased for Benson, finally got his goal and did his job got us 3 points. If he hadn't of scored more and more would've been said of him and the pressure on him to score even higher so that's a weight off his shoulders.

Still don't think Wagstaff is very effective when he starts he has the odd game but other times he does nothing, need to be more consistent.

I thought Racon was good again seems to be given more freedom to get forward and get involved. Semedo was okay but nothing spectacular.

MK didn't offer much, every team we've played this season so far has been average, just like our performances really.
  • Options
    Great impact from Reid and pleased Benson is off the mark. I thought we were too narrow until Reid came on.

Just thinking back to John Still's comments about needing to play to Bensons strengths, I was sat there last night thinking 'who's strengths are we playing to?' and I couldn't work it out.

Glad to get the 3pts and I'm sure the best is yet to come from this team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]Tough one this Saturday, and would gladly take a point from it.

yep with 4 goals and 6 points from 9 games and rooted to the bottom of the table they don't come much tougher than this , a point would be most welcome

lol
  • Options
    I think referees should be banned from shaving their heads, because they think that they become Pierluigi Collina...or is it now compulsory.
  • Options
    thought Abbott improved things as the ball began to stick up front a bit more. I'd go with Abbott and Benson on Saturday with Martin replacing Waggy although Martin himself needs to be providing a bit more end product. However, poor performance and the win just papers over the cracks. I hope it's the start of better things to come but I'm not convinced. I think we will splutter along like this all season and at the end we'll look back on it as another wasted opportunity. Hope I'm proved wrong though.

Forch and Dailly if fit on Saturday, Doc is beginning to show his limitations. Impressed with Fry and Racon had his best game for ages. Francis still continues to worry me. Reid made a tremendous impact but when he starts games he seems to blow more cold than hot. Hope it's the start of a goal rush for Benson. Think we have a good keeper in Worner. He's come a long way in a short space of time and is improving all the time.
  • Options
    I thought it was a poor game with a good result. I think we looked very comfortable at the back and individually 3 out of our 4 midfielders won their battles. The front two worked hard but we do look devoid of ideas, having our biggest game changer on the bench until 10 minutes to go is definitely a factor in that.
    I'm really pleased for Benson and hopefully getting a late winner will really get the dressing room buzzing going into Saturday's game, I don't think it's a coincidence that after their late equalizer on Saturday, Dagenham got a decent draw at Colchester last night because that sort of thing really brings a team together.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reid was a gamble but it paid off. People seem to forget that he cam on as a sub on Saturday and went off injured. I'm sure Parky didnt want to use him at all last night - I thought he was going top come on, pull up and be out for three months.

Thankfully it worked.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thought the game was heading for a bore draw until Reidy came on,he scared the life out of their full back. Pleased for Benson,good finish from the first decent 'in behind the defenders to feet' cross of the night. Defence looked fairly solid,Jose and Racon had good games. As someone has already mentioned,i am looking forward to seeing the 'tackle' on Martin in the 1st half that looked pretty much like it belonged on a rugby pitch,was the defender even booked? Astoundingly bad ref who,aided and abetted by his twin slaphead lino in front of the west stand made some shockingly bad decisions and proceeded to make an already dour game even worse. Glad of the 3 points,onwards and upwards...
  • Options
    Hope Ayinsah is fit for Saturday, he's different to any striker we have, has pace to worry people, quite strong and direct.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Redvalleyeast[/cite]As someone has already mentioned,i am looking forward to seeing the 'tackle' on Martin in the 1st half that looked pretty much like it belonged on a rugby pitch,was the defender even booked?

he was booked although the bloke alongside Emma on Player was adamant the defender was the last man and should have seen red.

Like many people, I switched to the MKD commentary in the second half. They were much more professional, but they could hardly believe their luck with the ref. Wanted him to ref all their games. Which proves that on this occasion, our guys have plenty of justification for their bias
  • Options
    trouble with that tackle was that Martin's first touch took the ball to the left of the goal and after a little wrestle with the defender, they had others coming back. If he'd been more direct and his first touch gone towards the goal and he'd got in front of the defender he'd have definately been brought straight down and a red would've followed.

Overall, an average performance, Benson's goal clouds alot of judgements......this board would've been a whole lot different if we'd drawn 0-0

Racon MOM by a mile, had his best game in a CAFC shirt, Semedo also excellent. Back 4 solid, although Francis distribution is still woeful.

Really beginning to like Fry and was glad he wasn't taken off for Reid with Jackson being pushed back (which is what I thought would happen)

Reid, superb cameo great cross and a fantastic finish by Benson, don't care what else he does if he continue's to bang them in like that.....but he needs to continue scoring because I don't feel he offers us to much other than that.
  • Options
    I think injuries on Saturday played a big part in the starting team last night, remember Reid only played about 20 minutes on Saturday before coming off injured and Parky was probably hoping to keep him out of the fray to protect him a while longer. I thought Racon and Semedo were very good last night, and Fortune very calm and collected, marshalling well. I also think Fry is looking good.
    Interesting thing with the goal, glad Bensoin got off the mark but wasn't Abbott right next to him?
    The most amazing decision last night was when that defender, from where I was sitting in the upper West, seemed to pick Martin up and carry him away from the ball, only to get a yellow card. Surely that was the most professional foul possible with the player otherwise one on one with the keeper.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Redvalleyeast[/cite]Astoundingly bad ref who,aided and abetted by his twin slaphead lino in front of the west stand

quality
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Choice[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Redvalleyeast[/cite]Astoundingly bad ref who,aided and abetted by his twin slaphead lino in front of the west stand

quality

ginger lino was alright tho
  • Options
    Didn't get on the computer when I got home last night and deliberately haven't read the thread so I post it as I saw it. Therefore apologies in advance for duplicated points.

MK Dons made it difficult for us and I believe came for a point. I don't remember Worner making too many saves before that sustained spell of pressure and corners in the second half which coincided with Racon and Semedo disappearing. That said a vastly improved performance from the pair of them last night against a hardworking team.

Nobody let themselves down last night and Jon Fortune looks assured at this level. As I've said on another thread Benson was much improved and hopefully his goal will give him confidence.

Credit to Parky for judging the moment to bring on a semi fit Reid. He really did make all the difference when he came on against their tiring defenders and midfield.

MK Dons will finish top half or better so a good, if unentertaining, 3 points.
  • Options
    I think if the ref had blown when the defender first started fouling Martin then he would have been the last man, but for God knows what reason, he waited and waited which meant by the time he blew for the foul a few sconds later the second defender had got back to cover.

I thought my head was going to explode last night I was getting so frustrated with the decisions.