Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why Do None Of Our Strikers Score On Their Debuts?

edited September 2010 in General Charlton
It may not be too much of a big deal for everyone but I think it's interesting that we haven't had a striker score on their debut for us ever since Marcus Bent against Chelsea and since then we've had the following all draw a blank on their debut:

Jimmy Floyd Hasselwank
Chris Iwelumo
Svetoslav Todorov
Izale McLeod
Luke Varney
Chris Dickson
Andy Gray
Leroy Lita
Martyn Waghorn
Deon Burton
Tresor Kandol
Tamer Tuna
Stuart Fleetwood
David Mooney
Leon McKenzie
Akpo Sodje
Nicky Forster
Pawel Abbott
Lee Martin
Paul Benson

Comments

• Options
    I think you ment everyone of them hasnt scored on their League debuts, Paul Benson is yet to make that and his name could be taken off that list by tomorrow.
  • Options
    Agreed it's strange, not sure there is and actual reason for it though.
  • Options
    Darren Bent got 2 away to Sunderland didn't he?

Bartlett on his first start and home debut, two goals v Man Utd.

Did JJ score in his first start or home debut? Not sure on that one.

Was Pringle's goal v Newcastle his first home game?

Charlie MacDonald scored early on, can't remember if it was his first start or debut.
  • Options
    We havent had decent service for years for our forwards
  • Options
    Jeffers scored a couple on his debut, didn't he?
  • Options
    What % of other teams strikers score on their debuts?
  • Options
    that's some list !
  • Options
    Jeffers got 2 in his first start didnt he against Aston Villa

Charlie Macdonald scored against newcastle, was that his first league game

Akpo sodje scored at Yeovil in his first game
  • Options
    You could equally look down that list and ask why none of our recent strikers has scored any goals at all - debut or not!

I'm sure someone can do the maths as to how many games that little lot have played for us and how many goals they scored - but not me. I would only get depressed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]You could equally look down that list and ask why none of our recent strikers has scored any goals at all - debut or not!

I'm sure someone can do the maths as to how many games that little lot have played for us and how many goals they scored - but not me. I would only get depressed.

I'd dread to think how much they all cost in transfer fees and wages per goal...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Matt Fry scored on his debut last week.

Typical ... ignored just because he isn't a striker.
  • Options
    Going through that list again there's only two names that I would put in the "ok" pile in terms of the successfulness of their spell with us. The rest I would file away under "not great" or "dogw@nk".

(Note to self: Leave it now mate, this is doing you no good at all)
  • Options
    That's some list, because half the players on it are shit. Some of them never scored a league goal for us.
  • Options
    unless i am mistaken all those named scored on their debuts before we signed marcus bent

the question was look at all those we have signed since marcus bent
  • Options
    Who cares?
    'Cause strikers not scoring on their débuts is a massive problem. Not scoring for at least 20 times for the rest of the season? Oh no, that's fine.

Carry on.
  • Options
    Jim Melrose, Ronnie Moore, Robert Lee....they all did (I think).
  • Options
    Was Iwelumo's full debut against Sheff Wed?
  • Options
    John Pearson did too.
  • Options
    not strikers but i think danny mills scored on debut v crewe, and dean chandler v reading.
  • Options
    Phil Chapple did too - with his head all bandaged up!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Phil Chapple did too - with his head all bandaged up!

ala llera (and dailly without the bandage)
  • Options
    For goalscoring debuts you;d have to go some way to beat Gary Poole's...
  • Options
    Bradley Allen
  • Options
    Danny Mills at Crewe
  • Options
    Bartlett came on as a sub away at Liverpool, which I beleive was his debut - didn't score then.
  • Options
    Nah, don't think that's right Golfie. Was sure we signed him in the days leading up to the Man U game - didn;t we?
  • Options
    Many of those in Forza's list made their debut only as a late sub.

So if they've only had 10 or 15 mins on the park as a debutant, that's hardly a fair comparison to a player who played a full 90 mins and scored.
  • Options
    Pringle's debut was as a sub away to Southampton. Bradley Allen - penalty at home to Luton, Kim Grant was making his debut for Luton in the same game. Charlie McDonald scored against QPR in the FA Cup 3rd Round. Phil Chapple's was home to Birmingham in a 1-0 victory.

Why oh why can I remember all this shit yet managed to forget my debit card pin number in Sainsburys last weekend?!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Nah, don't think that's right Golfie. Was sure we signed him in the days leading up to the Man U game - didn;t we?

I've got a feeling (dodgy memory lol), that Bartlett came on as sub at Leicester the week before.
    Did we lose 3-1? All a bit hazy.

The 2 goals at home v Man Utd was on his full debut.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Many of those in Forza's list made their debut only as a late sub.

So if they've only had 10 or 15 mins on the park as a debutant, that's hardly a fair comparison to a player who played a full 90 mins and scored.

But the fact remains that most of them were complete pony for us though Oggy.