Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Exeter vs. Charlton - Pre Match Views, News, Teams and Poll

WSSWSS
edited September 2010 in General Charlton
Although my predictions of new signings before the Huddersfield game proved incorrect, we are likely to see at least one of Parky’s hat-trick of signings in some capacity when we venture down to Oggy Land way.

Exeter are yet to win this season in the league although they are still undefeated at home with a couple of draws against Bristol Rovers and Colchester so it’s not going to be an easy game. Although a draw would not be a terrible result we need to be going into games like this with the attitude of taking the game to the opposition, creating chances and putting them on the back foot – and winning. The line-up Parkinson chooses come 3pm on Saturday will show his and the team’s intent.

The main gripe fans seemed to have had this season so far is the lack of chances we are creating. Is it because we simply don’t have that “spark” of a player or is it something tactically? Personally I think it’s down to tactics – Lee Martin playing off a lone striker doesn’t seem to work despite a lot of endeavour, and the centre midfield pairings so far this season have failed to take a gamble and run on ahead of strikers. When was the last time we saw 5 people in the box when attacking?

Not much has been spoken about Robbie’s back so it will be either him or Worner in between the sticks with the standard back four that we have gotten used to. Midfield is where Parkinson has the luxury of making a couple of tough decisions. Does he play the two natural wingers in Wagstaff and Reid? Does McCormack come back to slot in alongside Semedo or does midweek goalscorer Racon retain his place?

Will Martin replace Wagstaff to create a narrower midfield and then slot in behind two strikers or do we play 4-5-1 to accommodate as many midfielders as possible? Personally I see both Abbott and new signing Paul Benson starting up front which will mean that someone is going to be disappointed from the midfield positions. Very tough team to call this week.

Regardless, we need to get back to winning ways in the league and I think and hope we may see the start of a beautiful relationship. Charlton 2-0 with Benson and Abbot getting the goals.

Comments

• Options
    Spot on analysis, WSS - nothing to add to that. Parky has some very tough calls to make. Norwich on many occasions 'gambled' last season away from home. It meant they lost a couple more games than us but often turned 1 point into 3 by always going for the win, whether it be from the start or with very attacking substitutions. Would like to see us be a bit more cavalier away from home this season.
  • Options
    2-1 though I reckon it'll be reid and benson to score and Racon to continue Tuesdays form.
  • Options
    worner/elliot
    francis/solly dailly doherty fry
    martin semedo racon reid
    abbott benson

would be my winning starting line up with whats available

1-1 if its any different ;-)
  • Options
    Keeper
    Francis (needs a good game imo as possibly running out of chances at the moment)
    Dailly
    Doc
    Jackson

Reid
    Semedo
    McCormack
    Martin

Abbott
    Benson

go for the win, be positive and we will win 3-1
  • Options
    I can see another D&R style game here, not enthralling or with amazing skill and fluent passing but a competent and deserved win by 5 o'clock.
  • Options
    don't really see anything about exeter that would scare us and if we are to have illusions of going up,well this will be one of those easy away wins for us.

0-3
  • Options
    think ElthamAddick has the line-up spot on. Harsh on Waggy but I think that is what Parky will go with. Fry for Jackson could be possible. Agree that Francis needs to put in a performance otherwise Solly should oust him, but won't in all probability.
  • Options
    These are the games we've GOT to get a result in. Charlton 2-1 winners, Martin and Waggy to score
  • Options
    Benson's 1st for the season with Waggy and Dailly chipping in. Let's hope the weather is good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Agree that Francis needs to put in a performance otherwise Solly should oust him, but won't in all probability.

Especially as Solly is injured with an ankle problem.

Parky said in his post-Daggers comments that he wants us to go for all 3 points.

Exeter like to attack and take the game to opponents at home (last season often played 3-5-2 at home and had a decent home record). But they'll have done their homework on us this season and note that we play with 2 speedy widemen - that could leave the space behind their wingbacks vulnerable. So maybe different tactics against us this time?

I don't think we'll necessarily be that gung-ho from the start - using our 2 sitting CM's to protect the core of defence providing a secure platform to enable 2 wingers to be played in a 4-4-2.

Agree that every chance, Waggy will be benched but to come on with 20 mins left to tear apart tiring defenders,
    It always seems Waggy has the most impact in a game that way.

Also agree that we'll most likely see Abbott and Benson paired together.
    Lets hope they get a decent service from those wingers!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've gone for a draw, though i think it will be one of those draws that we dominate and come away saying 'we should have won that'.

No idea what Parky is going to do team wise, don't think it is clear cut at all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]Let's hope the weather is good.

Exeter weather forecast for Saturday from Met Office:

Sat 4 Sept Day: Sunny 20 °C Wind ESE 16 mph Visibility:Very Good

Weather just like last season's game!
  • Options
    elliott
    francis
    jackson
    semedo
    doc
    dailly
    martin
    mccormack
    reid
    abbott
    benson

mite even put racon in place of mccormack but not sure
    and i think must think francis has played well hes not going to drop him
  • Options
    I should think if Martin replaces anyone out wide then it shall be Reid.

It would be harsh to drop Racon after Tuesday and I don't see why McCormack should be guaranteed a place in the starting XI.We should be aiming to beat teams like Exeter and Racon offers more in attack than McCormack.

I wouldn't mind seeing the same team that played Dagenhma on Tuesday, with Solly replacing with Francis and Abbott in for Akpo.
  • Options
    Only question mark for me is whether Parky brings Ally Mac back in or allows Racon a chance to build on Tuesday night. Elliot will play if fit too, but other than that I expect Waggy will make way for Benson with Martin going right wing, with the rest of the boys who started at Huddersfield being sent out again.
  • Options
    I can see us getting a win actually, it'll be hard fought but I'm pretty confident we'll get 3 points. In an ideal world both Benson and Abbott will score to give our strikers some confidence but one of the two will do!
  • Options
    1-1, Martin scoring for us as a winger.
  • Options
    Exeter 0 - Charlton 2

Goals: Benson 27' , Jackson 60'
    4-5-1 Formation
    STARTING: Worner, Francis, Llera, Doc, Jackson, Waggy, Semedo, McCorm, Racon, Reid, Benson -SUBS- Elliot, Mambo, Fry, Strav, Martin, Abbot, Sodje

Come On You REEEEEDSSSSSS ahhhh......!!!
  • Options
    Head says a draw. Still early for this squad to hit it off against good home team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Draw. They have had a very good home record last season. A narrow win would be a good result. Away from home we shouldn't expect to thrash Exeter.
  • Options
    Typically, pre-match our supporters expect us to thrash all teams that:

a) get smaller crowds than us

b) have rarely/never played in the Championship

c) play home games at a ground of the same standard as Welling Utd.

The reality is often different, of course.
  • Options
    Oggy, Solly not out injured ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Oggy, Solly not out injured ;-)
    Is he confirmed recovered now - and available?
  • Options
    Players still getting used to each other. Exeter decent at home. Draw if we are lucky.
  • Options
    28 out of 38 votes cast so far have Charlton to win.

I admire the optimism. Can't see much difference overall to 4 months ago (I know a lot of player changes, but overall outcome) and Exeter don't lose many at home.

So if we couldn't beat them before I'm not expecting us to now. 1-1.

Having said that of course it could go any way IMO.
  • Options
    Charlton away win, a scrappy first half, a late goal and we'll run out comfortable winners/

Team

Elliott
    Francis-Dailly-Doherty-Jackson
    Waggy-Semedo-Reid
    Martin
    Benson-Abbott
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Elliott
    Francis-Dailly-Doherty-Jackson
    Waggy-Semedo-Reid
    Martin
    Benson-Abbott

Now that is an attacking lineup for an away fixture!

If 2 attacking wingers are played, then Parky will want 2 holding CMs ....either Sem/Rac or Sem/Mac
  • Options
    A draw would be fine, happy with a Exeter a win, charlton slightly less so, but i not sure I can lose, when we both play each other

Hopefully catch up with a few of you when travelling down on Saturday, I will be going from Paddington.

Have fun and enjoy Exeter

We looked poor ar orient last week, but better at Yeovil so will be interesting.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Oggy, Solly not out injured ;-)
    Is he confirmed recovered now - and available?

well on the OS Parky says the only injury concerns are Dailly and Elliott whilst Forch and Anyinsah won't be considered until after Tuesday's reserve game. I assumed from that that Solly was fit although equally it could mean that Parky has forgotten about him (completely maybe).