Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Liverpool & Shelvey

Comments

• Did Mark Lawrenson really say that? What a twat. Its bad enough picking a soft target but its not as if he is an acedemic himself.

N. B. And I don't mean soft in the scouse sense.
  • Made a difference when he came on and looked lively. Can see him starting with Gerrard being suspended for the midweek game.
  • Some good stuff about JJ towards the end of this article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/jan/09/kenny-dalglish-liverpool-manchester-united
  • Another sub appearance tonight at Blackpool
  • Just on as sub v Everton.
  • Another sub appearance today. 8 now. At this rate, we should have some money in by Feb.

Daliglish has brought him on now in all three games since has been put back in charge.
  • Great vision on 3 occasions by jonjo so far. God do we miss that sort of player.
  • Playing in the centre too, or seems to be, previously I've only seen him play on the left for Liverpool.
  • When we went up there it was the only position woy didn't play him in. Definitely his best position
  • To be fair to Hodgson he had two central midfielders in Meireles and Gerrard, tough to drop either of those in favour of Jonjo.
  • Sponsored links:

• He played poulson and Lucas that evening with jonjo out wide left then right then upfront
  • Just seen him play for about 15 mins as sub - how did he not get into a Division 3 side last year?
  • You'll have to ask Phil Parkinson.
  • edited January 2011
    to be fair he didn't always shine when he did get in the team

he was gaining experience

and maybe prem players can resonate more with his talents than div3 players
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]to be fair he didn't often shine when he did get in the team

Oh no, lets not go there
  • [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]Just seen him play for about 15 mins as sub - how did he not get into a Division 3 side last year?

Exactly what I thought, but then I remembered how young he is and how difficult it is at that age to play every week & play well consistently.
    TBF at Liverpool he is coming on as sub and typically playing for less than 45 mins, which is obviously not so tiring physically and mentally.
  • [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]to be fair he didn't often shine when he did get in the team

Oh no, lets not go there

Hear hear! Whatever the past, I am absolutely certain that he will establish himself in the Liverpool team and we will see him playing for England before too long.

Cream always floats to the top!
  • He's also a year older than when he was here, arguably the year he'll develop most year on year too...
  • Appears the deal on appearances is more complicated and less favourable to us.

All euro and league apps are counted as a half even if he starts.

League subs apps only count if he comes on before the 70th min.

So a bit further off the dosh than we thought.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Appears the deal on appearances is more complicated and less favourable to us.

Don't understand that Henry. How can all Euro and league apps only count as half if he starts ?
    Who is your source ? :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought he looked really good when he came on today. He looks like he's quicker than when he was here. Maybe they have been working on that. In a funny way I think he is more suited to the top flight than league 1 and this is probably the case with a lot of players. I really enjoyed watching him today.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]All euro and league apps are counted as a half even if he starts.

Did you perhaps mean "All Europa League apps..." ?
  • [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]to be fair he didn't often shine when he did get in the team

Oh no, lets not go there

????

Why did you pick to quote that line as opposed to this one?
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]Just seen him play for about 15 mins as sub - how did he not get into a Division 3 side last year?

Good to see he's getting on well
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Appears the deal on appearances is more complicated and less favourable to us.

Don't understand that Henry. How can all Euro and league apps only count as half if he starts ?
    Who is your source ? :-)

Ask him who played Inside Right for CAFC v Huddersfield in 1921, he'll know the answer to that, little else though......
  • [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]Just seen him play for about 15 mins as sub - how did he not get into a Division 3 side last year?
    Noticed at one point this afternoon he played a great ball into space for a team mate to run on to (I can't say who as I was in the pub watching on a 3d tv without the goggles). If he'd played a ball like that with our team it would have been totally wasted.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]Just seen him play for about 15 mins as sub - how did he not get into a Division 3 side last year?
    Noticed at one point this afternoon he played a great ball into space for a team mate to run on to (I can't say who as I was in the pub watching on a 3d tv without the goggles). If he'd played a ball like that with our team it would have been totally wasted.

You are quite right there. Some on here may recall Allan Simonsen playing for Charlton. He had to run and run with the ball because no one made a run for him. He would slot through perfect passes that were just too good for the rest of the team.
  • [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]

You are quite right there. Some on here may recall Allan Simonsen playing for Charlton. He had to run and run with the ball because no one made a run for him. He would slot through perfect passes that were just too good for the rest of the team.

I know Liverpool are on a downer but they've got a lot further to fall before they can be likened to the dross that surrounded Simonsen during his time at CAFC.
  • Sorry meant euro and league cup.

Source was Kenny Dalglish himself. Played golf with him at one of these charity do's last week.
  • Name dropper