Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Loyal supporters

edited August 2010 in General Charlton
Having read earlier that Covered End has only missed 6 home games in 38 years, all due to family weddings, has anyone else got a ridiculously impressive attendance record ?

Comments

• Options
    Back in the 80swhen I was younger with no family or mortgage, I did nearly six seasons home and away as well as pre season friendlies, the only thing I missed during this time was Ray Tumbridge's testimonial at Gravesend. I actually went to the battle of Stamford Bridge in '88 instead og going to a family wedding.

My name was mud!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    There's some stuff about that on here:

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=24176&page=1
  • Options
    My season of madness was the 93-4 season where I went to every game home & away. This included both anglo italian games in Italy & Middlesboro away, where me and Off it blagged a lift home on the team coach.
  • Options
    I was thinking about this the other day and wondering how people afford to go to every away game, it's an amazing commitment.

Are these hardcore supporters generally high earners or is following Charlton the focus for every spare penny they have?
  • Options
    I've not missed a home game for 15 years, including friendlys and all cup games
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nicholas[/cite]I've not missed a home game for 15 years, including friendlys and all cup games

That is some effort. If you are married, she is either very understanding or having an affair :-)
  • Options
    Yeah fair play to that Parkinson fella, ive seen him home and away for a good couple of years now .

Seriously though.
    Nuff respect to the small loyal following our club has, considering recent years.
    Its not easy supporting lil' old Charlton.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nicholas[/cite]I've not missed a home game for 15 years, including friendlys and all cup games

Very impressive. Surely you must've blown out a wedding or 2 (or other family do) to attend all those?
  • Options
    Well I had to put up with about 5 years next to 1905, I think that makes me the most loyal here!
  • Options
    This Saturday I will be missing my first Home league game (League or Cup) for six Years, & then two weeks later my second for Notts County, bloody weddings. :-(

Just know we'll win both games & lose when I return for the Dagenham match
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Nicholas[/cite]I've not missed a home game for 15 years, including friendlys and all cup games[/quote]

That is some effort. If you are married, she is either very understanding or having an affair :-)[/quote]

I've been married a year, and with her for 8, I've had a few scares and many arguments about birthday/weddings etc, but managed to worm my way round it and get to the Valley. I have been talked out of a few away games though :)
  • Options
    I never managed a whole season, usually mid-week away games I just couldn't get time off for, but between 1989 and 1994 I missed very few. But weddings - pah - the summer's for weddings. I would race back for the reception, but everyone who knew me at that time knew not to expect me to turn up on a Saturday aternoon during the football season...

BTW, I had a company car, and usually managed to blag my way in on a press ticket for away games, that's how I afforded it. God bless those that do it all paying through the nose, I salute you!
  • Options
    Not missed a game since 1969

Home away Friendly, testamonial etc etc reserves U18's
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Not missed a game since 1969

Home away Friendly, testamonial etc etc reserves U18's

Seriously???
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Not missed a game since 1969

Home away Friendly, testamonial etc etc reserves U18's[/quote]

Seriously???[/quote]

In Spirit at least
  • Options
    i reckon my old man could count on one hand the number of games he's missed in 50 years, home and away...i cannot remember the last time he didn't go to a game (competitive one) don't include friendlies..
  • Options
    4 - 5 Games a season... but since I live abroad I ll still consider myself a loyal supporter.
  • Options
    Seb Lewis must be up there with not missing a game.
  • Options
    Have only missed 2 home games since we returned to the Valley despite an 160 mile round trip but i had good reason , both of my sons were born on days of saturday home games . Newcastle 15 march 2003 - we lost 2-0 & Blackburn 29 th April 2006 lost 2-0 also . Thanks Boys!!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]Have only missed 2 home games since we returned to the Valley despite an 160 mile round trip but i had good reason , both of my sons were born on days of saturday home games . Newcastle 15 march 2003 - we lost 2-0 & Blackburn 29 th April 2006 lost 2-0 also . Thanks Boys!![/quote]

Good stuff mate, let us know if your gonna have another so I can have a bet on us to lose 2-0 :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i was loyal once then came wife and kiddie mortgage debt holibobs and the footie takes a back seat

get a lot of satisfaction watching NLJR on a saturday probally the biggerst reason i miss as much of the live stuff as i do
  • Options
    My mate Clive has not missed a home game (including friendlies) since 1975. It has also been years (possibly 10+) since he missed an away league game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nicholas[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]Have only missed 2 home games since we returned to the Valley despite an 160 mile round trip but i had good reason , both of my sons were born on days of saturday home games . Newcastle 15 march 2003 - we lost 2-0 & Blackburn 29 th April 2006 lost 2-0 also . Thanks Boys!!

Good stuff mate, let us know if your gonna have another so I can have a bet on us to lose 2-0 :)

Fraid not mate . Two is more than enough for me!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnnyH2[/cite]My mate Clive has not missed a home game (including friendlies) since 1975. It has also been years (possibly 10+) since he missed an away league game.

Does he drink in the Who'd?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnnyH2[/cite]My mate Clive has not missed a home game (including friendlies) since 1975. It has also been years (possibly 10+) since he missed an away league game.

But he's not local so it doesn't count ; - )

Ian Wallis has had a Season ticket every year since 1963 and still goes to most away games every season.
  • Options
    Had season ticket since about 1983 / 84 (since i was about 13). Used to go to a lot of away games between 1985 and about 1995 but tailed off the away games after that just picking and choosing a few each year really after that. Took up 11 a side football again (this time Saturday afternoon) for last 4 seasons but got my season ticket anyway and made the night games etc. Will be there Saturdays again this year as broke my ankle playing last season and still struggling with it. Think my record counts as a loyal supporter even if not fanatically dedicated. Taking both my boys Saturday and hopefully get them committed more this year. They are Charlton fans but have flirted with Liverpool and WWE wrestling a bit over the last couple of years. They're only young though so it's just a phase. A good day tomorrow following Friday night's success on telly could seal it.
  • Options
    Between 92-07 my attendance record was pretty impressive home and away, but kids/downward slide/apathy have taken their toll with me.

I will be a mile from the Valley on Saturday taking my lad to a show at The O2 but still undecided on whether to go to the game (and have a season ticket).

My uncle hasnt missed a league match home or away for about 12 years.
  • Options
    OohAhh hasn't missed an away game for 41 years
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]OohAhh hasn't missed an away game for 41 years

I wanna know what he was doing till he was 21 then?
  • Options
    Give it a go if you can, Southend. So far, this lot seem to have the commitment and maybe even the flair that's been missing for too long. JUst don't blame me if it all goes horribly wrong!