Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

black prince in bexley

how many of you used to drink in the black prince in bexley, particularly on a sunday evening, when they had live music and some pretty good bands playing?

i used to work behind the bar on sunday evenings, i think it would of been around 1973, for about a year, so saw all the music for nowt. had some really good nights and some scary ones too. one evening when i was working behind the bar, a guy called me to one side and pulled out a knife and threatened to stab me, if i didn't give him a cigar, he got his cigar!

Comments

• Used to go to the discos on (I think) Thursday nights, around 1971-2.
  • My old man saw Jimi Hendrix there!!
  • Saw the Pink Faries there once around that time.
  • The Pink Fairies - I'm waiting for my man!!!
  • Do It
    Uncle Harrys Last Freakout (classic).
    ....and many more.
  • My old man was a door man there during the 80s. He wouldn't let in about a dozen skin heads one night so one of them found a brick and threw it at his head. Dad managed to pin down the brick thrower until the Police arrived. He had 10 stiches above his eye, and got a couple of grand compensation. The brick thrower needed more stiches to head though and, to this day, we still don't know how he got them.
  • Remember seeing Argent and Heads, Hands and Feet on Sunday nights. It was an excellent venue.
  • Be interested to hear your dad saw jimi at the black prince.....
    would have been on the 67 tour, he played the Bromley court hotel and the Chiselhust caves!.
    This was on his first small tour before he did the Cat Stevens tour, when he was at the bottom of the bill and the top of the bill the last couple of concerts.When jimi came back to the UK in 68 he was playing Woburn music festival and the Albert Hall.So he must have seen him on the first tour !

I saw Rory Gallagher at the Black prince, having seen him many times before, a great artist, and one of the most underated guitarists of all time by the media!. Personally speaking I think he was the best blues guitarist outside the USA.

I am seeing his tribute band in September at the Old Dartfordian Rugby called sinnerboy, which is across the road from the black prince.

I also saw Uriah heep at the black prince, and the groundhogs there with Tony Mc phee, who is still on the circuit.
    heep were so loud they had 100 marshall stacks, probably on the top setting, my ears were ringing three days later..... the vibrations could be felt when you lifted your feet up with the sound ......i am surprissed it did not break all the glasses as the barman!

I still go to gigs at the Beverwood run by Peter Feenstra, he has some great tribute and old musicians, including, Andy Turner from Wishbone Ash, Tony McPhee, and he had Reg Isodore up there two years ago shortly before he died who used to be Robin Trowers drummer, these guys are in there 60s and still rockin..........

Nothing like a good live act

I live 5 minutes walk from the Black prince...... corporate\plastic place these days.....
  • actually stayed there last night (i wont go in to detail why!) and it was soooo expensive. Even have to pay for the Car Park, even if your a hotel guest.
  • [cite]Posted By: Eddie Firmani[/cite]Remember seeing Argent and Heads, Hands and Feet on Sunday nights. It was an excellent venue.
    Heads,Hands and Feet! Featuring Chas from Chas and Dave on Bass :) (Before C&D became Eminem's backing band)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]Saw the Pink Faries there once around that time.

Me too. I was fascinated by them having two drummers. Never seen that before.

And Slade as a skinhead band, before they got famous.
    Their big song at the time was, "Get down and get with it".
  • Also saw the Pink Fairies, Manfred Manns Earth Band, and others at the Falcon .....oppo Falconwood Station by the Rochester Way.
  • Ken, RE Hendrix, I cant swear to the year, but 67 sounds about right, I was very small then, but the reason I remember my dad saying he saw Hendrix was because my dad came home buzzing about Hendrix, told my mum that he had just seen this black bloke playing guitar with his teeth and behind his back, mum then accused him of being pished and they had a row about it waking everyone up. Obviously no one had seen Jimi play on TV then. I think my dad saw The Stones there as well? Dad is a music journalist (Country) and used to own Country music magazines until he retired 2 years ago, he was one of the Music reporters for Stage and Television Today, so he used to get out and see laods of bands.

RE Rory G, I agree Ken, a superb player and genuine bluesman, what a waste when he left us!! I play guitar in a blues band and Rory was the real deal, for a white boy!! :o)
  • I think this is one of the main things that young people today miss out on. People experienced bands that are revered 40 years on in a small local venue (I'm jealous). Now if they have one hit album bands are fired straight into arenas that they lack the presence to play, and will be lucky if they're doing reality TV in 5 years time.
  • Worked weekends there as a porter in 1982/83, and bumped into Allan Simonsen a few times. Literally - he was very small indeed.
  • My older brother claims he saw Led Zep, Deep Purple and the Stones there.
  • Slade were managed by jimis manager Chas Chandler, there claim to fame was the first skinhead group......

Manfredd Mann lived in Hither green.......

Here is jimi at the Blackpool opera house......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL3rVQg_uxM

I love it when he says what you looking at, what you looking at...... he looks like like he came from another planet, and played out of this world...... No one would come onstage after jimi,
    To me the greatest musician of the last century......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_xHiPgwwnA&feature=related

Just look at that amp set up.......

plug in your ears!
  • Used to go there every Sunday night in the mid sixties. Georgie Fame, Zoot Money, Brian Auger and Julie Driscoll, Long John Baldry, Geno Washington, Jimmy James and the Vagabonds and many, many more. Always packed out. Best years of my life. They used to have jazz bands there on a Monday as well, Chris Barber, Terry Lightfoot etc. The hall where they played is still there.
  • Don't get Ken started on Hendrix!
  • Sponsored links:

• Bringing back great memories. As well as the bands already mentioned I
    saw Thin Lizzy there when they just had their first hit with Whisky in the Jar. But the best band for me, they became a lifetime favourite, were Stray. the Prince
    was perfect for them.
  • Saga Lout 5 minutes ago quote# 21
    Don't get Ken started on Hendrix!...... Yes it only get's my blood pressure going....

How is the ' little wing' practice going Phil?......

Better not mention led zep on here, Henry get's very 'emotional' about them, I think it was a repressed childhood or something!. So your 'covers' will not impress him...We will have to try and educate the boy!, He will not have it, goes on about Pagey stealing the riffs, and lyrics, in fairness he has good taste in music, so it must be something personnel!...
  • I've got Little Wing sorted, thanks - I will demo next time I see you Ken. Have now moved on to the solo in Badge!

I'm a big fan of Zep - can't believe they ever played the Black Prince! As I can't "do" Page and the singer can't "do" Plant, my band only does one Zep cover - Rock 'n' Roll.
  • Ken, I was going to tell you that Sky Arts having been showing a Led Zepp show. It gets repeated every few days.

Black and white and I think very early. Looks like 1970/1 and just the four of them on a small stage in a TV studio with people sitting around.

Must be early as still quite bluesy and Page only has a one neck guitar and it's a beat up old telecaster.

And no, I still didn't like them and yes something did happen to me in my youth. I heard Stairway to Heaven about 1 million times and Punk happened. The rest is history.

Anyway I was going to tell you but I won't bother now : - )
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Ken, I was going to tell you that Sky Arts having been showing a Led Zepp show. It gets repeated every few days.

Black and white and I think very early. Looks like 1970/1 and just the four of them on a small stage in a TV studio with people sitting around.

Must be early as still quite bluesy and Page only has a one neck guitar and it's a beat up old telecaster.

And no, I still didn't like them and yes something did happen to me in my youth. I heard Stairway to Heaven about 1 million times and Punk happened. The rest is history.

Anyway I was going to tell you but I won't bother now : - )

That Zep programme sounds like something I have got on VHS tape... it was previously very rare, as it's only been shown a couple of times since it was recorded. If Sky Arts are showing it every 5 minutes that's my retirement fund ruined!
  • "Featured artists
    Jimmy Page
    Robert Plant
    John Paul Jones
    John Bonham

Featured songs
    Communication Breakdown
    Dazed And Confused
    Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
    How Many More

This 1969 show was produced in the very last year Led Zeppelin performed on television. In this intimate black-and-white studio performance, the soon-to-be biggest rock band of all-time performs to a small crowd of students, seated on the floor in a semi-circle around band members Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, and John 'Bonzo' Bonham. Delight in this rare recording of a band on the brink of stardom, playing songs which include Communication Breakdown, Dazed And Confused, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and How Many More Times. "
  • That's the one. B*st*rds - that old tape's worth three fifths of feck all now.
  • [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]But the best band for me, they became a lifetime favourite, were Stray. the Prince
    was perfect for them.

" all in your mind ", great track, only played it the other day, loved the intro, the way it built up.
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]I saw Rory Gallagher at the Black prince, having seen him many times before, a great artist, and one of the most underated guitarists of all time by the media!. Personally speaking I think he was the best blues guitarist outside the USA.

do you remember the band he was in, taste and their album " on the boards " i think? great days.
  • Saw Roxy Music there just before they broke through
  • only old people allowed on this thread

why dont you book a coach tour and go on a saga holibob this year ;-)