Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Playing the Daggers

2»

Comments

• Options
    Why exactly does this competition exist?

Just thinking back to when we played them before, my god that tie really did confirm our status as the worst cup side ever. Struggled to get a draw AT HOME to a non league side and even then needed extra time to win the replay. I'd had a heavy night the night before the replay and the game was soooo boring and uneventful i almost fell asleep standing up during the 2nd half.
  • Options
    I really thought we'd sell out the Lower West
  • Options
    I think we might have at £5 a head, based on Barnet last season.
  • Options
    Seeing as we're supposed to play a large amount of our first 11, what happens if we refuse to do that?
  • Options
    Don't get some of the comments on here.

You're not Manchester United.

It's a London derby and a chance to get a good result over a team you're gonna play twice this year.

A win breeds more confidence and it could be that game that a player gets that vital goal or makes that goaline clearance that makes them kick on for the rest of the campaign.

& while you all say it's a pointless competition the further you progress the more it means something. Our semi final at home v Gillingham and then the Southern final away to Walsall were fantastic occasions. Let alone playing at Wembley.

As for police/steward costs, just shut 2 stands or something.
  • Options
    We have to play 6 out of the 11 who have played the most league games, we will be forced to put a more than decent team out.
  • Options
    have a horrible feeling its the Spanner who'se got a point.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]You're not Manchester United.
    On Sky, Dion Dublin said we are the Manchester United of League One. Fact.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]Don't get some of the comments on here.

You're not Manchester United.

It's a London derby and a chance to get a good result over a team you're gonna play twice this year.

A win breeds more confidence and it could be that game that a player gets that vital goal or makes that goaline clearance that makes them kick on for the rest of the campaign.

& while you all say it's a pointless competition the further you progress the more it means something. Our semi final at home v Gillingham and then the Southern final away to Walsall were fantastic occasions. Let alone playing at Wembley.

As for police/steward costs, just shut 2 stands or something.

You're right of course, the loss to Shrewsbury devastated our confidence and had a major impact on the following league game.

I don't doubt that when you get somewhere it becomes a lot more exciting, but there's already two cup competitions in which to potentially encounter exciting ties, and both of those offer the chance of taking on far bigger fish that the JPT does.

Do league 1 sides really need to be in 3 cup competitions? It dilutes the excitement of having cup competitions at all, and less is definitely more. I mean, why not throw in another cup for just league one sides as well! Think of all the opportunities for player rehab or excitement once you have churned through pointless games to reach the semi final stage! Let's have a huge network of cup competitions that give everyone a chance at Wembley.

Or, let's focus on one or two competitions to try and minimise the creeping apathy towards cup football in the game as a whole.
  • Options
    anyone on here going ??
    if so where you going to sit ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm going. There's no choice but to sit in the West Lower! Which is where my seat is anyway so I'm happy
  • Options
    My four tickets arrived today.
  • Options
    Others may correct me, but I'm pretty sure that the club announced lower west only for the Barnet game last year. East was opened when people moaned about potential queues. I assume there are plans to open the east if there is a reasonable walk up?
  • Options
    So who is actually going along to see the Doggers then....?
  • Options
    I am Oggy
  • Options
    May pop along, good to see some of the younger players get a chance ie Tuna/Jenkinson/Worner.
  • Options
    I'll be there, like a cup game.
  • Options
    i'll definitly be there
    was there any atmosphere last year?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCdamo[/cite]was there any atmosphere last year?

There were goals. Lots of them. 4-1 victory.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]I am Oggy

You're proper Charlton these days, Uncle.

Proud of you!

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ill be there
  • Options
    yeah, me and Golfie are there. Row in front of the Directors Box.
  • Options
    I'll go. We play less games in our three cup competitions than some teams play in one. We moan about youngsters not getting a shot then don't attend games where they do. You get served at the bar quicker, too.