Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Playing the Daggers

CHGCHG
edited August 2010 in General Charlton
at home in JPT

Comments

• Options
    Interesting... probably only open Lower West like Barnet last year
  • Options
    gotta lose this one sharpish ... no distractions, plus its not something i want on our cv !
  • Options
    Great opportunity to progress in the competition. Hope the fans turn out in numbers this time .
  • Options
    I was hoping for stevenage away.
  • Options
    Nonsense fixture in a nonsense competition. Nothing but a nuisance all round.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]Nonsense fixture in a nonsense competition. Nothing but a nuisance all round.
    agreed
  • Options
    Not nonsense - gives Parky the opportunity to give game time to Mambo, Tuna and co.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: GNelson[/cite]Not nonsense - gives Parky the opportunity to give game time to Mambo, Tuna and co.
    True but he can only play a few, you have to start something like 5 or 6 regulars.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: GNelson[/cite]Not nonsense - gives Parky the opportunity to give game time to Mambo, Tuna and co.

Good point NL, alternative to reserve fixtures.
  • Options
    given that we had to turn down a home friendly with spurs because we were concerned that we wouldnt cover the cost of putting the game on, i can imagine this might be costing the club money given that this game will attract a much lower attendance than a spurs friendly would have. A competition which I don't even want to win, potential to get players injured... all adds up to way too much effort and inconvenience just to give a couple of youngsters a bit of experience.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Blimey. Nobody remember how rough it got when we last played them? Dagenham fans scattered all round the home areas, most of whom didn't seem content with keeping quiet/anonymous. I remember more than a few scuffles and confrontations that night.
  • Options
    Cue. Nathan and another 27.
  • Options
    agree witg Airman but if we lose it will be the end of the world.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Blimey. Nobody remember how rough it got when we last played them? Dagenham fans scattered all round the home areas, most of whom didn't seem content with keeping quiet/anonymous. I remember more than a few scuffles and confrontations that night.

Most of the trouble that day was caused by West Ham.

I'm sure we have nothing to fear from the 150 or so that they will bring.
  • Options
    Will probably pop along, would have preferred an away game to somewhere new but will hopefully be good to see Tuna, Mambo and maybe a couple of others. Benson is also bound to score for them if we don't sign him in the nest fortnight.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulsturgess[/cite]given that we had to turn down a home friendly with spurs because we were concerned that we wouldnt cover the cost of putting the game on, i can imagine this might be costing the club money given that this game will attract a much lower attendance than a spurs friendly would have. A competition which I don't even want to win, potential to get players injured... all adds up to way too much effort and inconvenience just to give a couple of youngsters a bit of experience.

The issue with Spurs was police costs and our ability to breakeven against D&R on much lower gate income will probably depend on the same thing. We just about broke even on Barnet. We lose silly money staging FA Youth Cup matches at The Valley, though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Blimey. Nobody remember how rough it got when we last played them? Dagenham fans scattered all round the home areas, most of whom didn't seem content with keeping quiet/anonymous. I remember more than a few scuffles and confrontations that night.

After the game the Daggers (West Ham) fans turned over the Rose of Denmark (knocking over our zimmer frames) resulting in the ROD being closed to away fans after games ever since.
  • Options
    Split over this one. My heart tells me to win every game possible but my brain tells me we can't be dealing with injuries and SUSPENSIONS!. Would be nice to go to Wembly as i have vowed not to go (sports related) until Charlton have been :)
  • Options
    Obviously we want to avoid injuries, suspensions and fatigue....but you can't argue with a nice cup run, day out at wembley, and a trophy can you?

I'll be there, and will hope to see some of the young boys, as well as Benson scoring for us against his old team.
  • Options
    allready out of the league cup, whatever it's called these days. So it would be a useful cup run
    for our reserve keeper, Mambo Tuna etc to gain more experience with us. Even with starting 6/7
    first teamers got to be worth doing with no reserve league, at least it is competetive up to a point.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    See you there!
  • Options
    Airman - if we care so little and expect even less, why do we enter these competitions ?

Serious question which I have posted 4 times now without reply.

We won't win the FA cup either so let's pull from that.
  • Options
    Airman - if we care so little and expect even less, why do we enter these competitions ?

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]Airman - if we care so little and expect even less, why do we enter these competitions ?

I don't believe we have the option.

Personally, I would differentiate between the League Cup (and the FA Cup) and the JPT. We won't win the LC, but it could be a significant earner for a team in League One, depending on the draw. The JPT, on the other hand, is a load of nonsense. Yes, we could get to Wembley, but only after playing six extra matches of very little interest to fans and potential financial and injury cost to the club.
  • Options
    I enjoyed the Barnet game last year. Good performances from the likes of Tuna. I'll go.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]Nonsense fixture in a nonsense competition. Nothing but a nuisance all round.

To many clubs who have been at this level for a long time the opportunity of getting to Wembley is something for them to go for. Hopefully it will be the last time we play in the thing.
  • Options
    last year did they run the valley express for the jpt ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCdamo[/cite]last year did they run the valley express for the jpt ?

Dont think so no
  • Options
    People saying it's a chance to play Tuna ect..

They are WAY to close to the 1st team this year to be risking them in a tin pot competition.

Lose this and get it over with.