Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paul Konchesky

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]I love Konchesky, wholehearted decent honest player who never let us down, if he get's a chance to play for Liverpool then good luck to him, it's about time Liverpool had some players with a bit of grit.

Can't say I feel the same - after his move to West Ham I was at our away game and did not appreciate his goal celebration - designed to incite the Charlton fans. I didn't think there was any need for it - he was well liked when he was with us - just made me think he was an ar$e - we gave him his start in the game and deserved better from him.

As I wasn't at that match (on Holiday at the time) I can't comment on the celebration you mention, I was basing my opinions on his service to the club which I felt was decent, what did he do then?

As I remember it, he ran the length of the away stand pumping his fist and kissing his badge. Totally out of order in my view.

A little bit over the top from him to say the least methinks!- I see your point.
    I always thought he was a decent player for us but that display of affection for yer actual hammers does take the shine off a bit I must say!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: siblers[/cite]Konchesky is solid enough in defense, but going forward and his general distribution is quite poor, not the worst player to have to bring off the bench, especially to see a game out, just not exactly gonna set Anfield alight.

In his Charlton deays, I always thought Konchesky positionally vulnerable when he played at leftback.
    Maybe Curbs thought so too ....?

But PK had a good engine on him and a decent touch on the ball, solid tackle and the ability to pass/cross.
    Good with a dead ball too. Looked a quality player at LM doubled up with Chrissy Powell.

Of course, having been capped prematurely by England at LB, Konch thought that's the position where he had the best chance of furthering his England career - and moaned to Curbs to play him there.

Curbs doesn't put up with that sort of old nonsense, so Konch asked to go on the transfer list.
    Nobody came in with a permanent deal, but Spurs did take him on loan.

Where did they play him? ......... LM, of course!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]As I remember it, he ran the length of the away stand pumping his fist and kissing his badge. Totally out of order in my view.
    Maybe. But he'd fallen out big time with Curbs at Charlton, remember.
    And that celebration was his non-thinking way of settling old scores, I suspect.

Also remember that he grew up in East London, and was Hammers through and through.
    So West Ham was always the local team he supported as a kid.

Same with Jon Fortune, Lee Bowyer and, of course, Jonjo.
    In fact Forch, Konch and Bobby Zamora all played together in the same boys team.
  • Options
    Fair points too Oggy.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Not quite sure what you mean by "actually a poor player yes he had agreatworld cup".......?

That's quite a contradiction. Obviously the lad can play, if he's held down a place at PSV for 2 seasons.
    And his World Cup performance confirmed this.

Rommedahl had a great world cup, and played very successfully in Dutch football for a couple of years, but couldn't cut it in British football.
  • Options
    I was always impressed with Konch's attitude when he came back from Spurs . Played some of his best games for us
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: steve123[/cite]the mexican lad is actually a poor player yes he had a great world cup but he has been poor for psv for the past 2 seasons
    Funny that. Because I remember him at the last World Cup (the 2006 one) and he looked a cracking player then too. I also watched the CONCACAF Gold Cup and the Copa America in the last three years - he was excellent in every game I saw. Also seen him for PSV four or five times and never seen him have a bad game for them.

Do you watch a lot of Dutch football?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: siblers[/cite]Konchesky is solid enough in defense, but going forward and his general distribution is quite poor, not the worst player to have to bring off the bench, especially to see a game out, just not exactly gonna set Anfield alight.

In his Charlton deays, I always thought Konchesky positionally vulnerable when he played at leftback.
    Maybe Curbs thought so too ....?

But PK had a good engine on him and a decent touch on the ball, solid tackle and the ability to pass/cross.
    Good with a dead ball too. Looked a quality player at LM doubled up with Chrissy Powell.

Of course, having been capped prematurely by England at LB, Konch thought that's the position where he had the best chance of furthering his England career - and moaned to Curbs to play him there.

Curbs doesn't put up with that sort of old nonsense, so Konch asked to go on the transfer list.
    Nobody came in with a permanent deal, but Spurs did take him on loan.

Where did they play him? ......... LM, of course

I haven't seen him anywhere near as often as you have for Charlton so you'd know way more about him than me, but anytime I've seen him on sky sports live matches or MOTD, he always seemed solid enough in defense but his passing was kinda hit and miss, he does have a good shot and cross on him but he is somewhat incosistent.
  • Options
    Konchesky is quality. He reminds me of when we were great. Benty up front - them days. I miss them days. Still football is like that. You can't change your team - life would be easy if you could suddenly say - 'I'm a Millwall fan'. Can't be done though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]I thought the Mexican left back was the best player at the world cup to be honest

Best player at the world cup? Or do you mean best left back?

The best player. He was the single footballer that impressed me the most during the world cup.

Ronaldo? Didn't do anything. Rooney? Looked like he had never played the game before. Messi? Ok but no way did he look anywhere near his best. In fact Schweinsteiger or Scheider were the only other two players that impressed me anywhere near as much.

He was the best player on the park when we played them at Wembley too
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Fair enough mate everyone's entitled to an opinion but i'd have put the likes of Villa, Sneijder, Ozil, Khedira, Forlan and Muller above him and even perhaps the likes of Honda and Robben.
  • Options
    He was playing in an average Mexican side and stood out a mile, proper modern full back
  • Options
    Like Oggy says Konch is a good, maybe a very good Left midfielder. At full back he gets drawn out of position and is poor in the air. Curbs always preferred Sir Chris and Herman and I agreed with him. I recall him playing against Australia for England and one of their goals was partly down to Konch getting out of position. Mind you these days Konch would not only be our left back but star player as well!
  • Options
    IMO Konchesky is no more than an average standard premiership left back...and now he plays for one of the biggest clubs in Europe. He must be pinching himself and thinking that he'll wake up in a minute... hope he can cope with the pressure of playing for such a big club.
  • Options
    Oh dear. Sent off for two bookables - dissent and a tackle so late it would have missed the night bus!
  • Options
    I would have him in our team tomorrow
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Robbo on the wing[/cite]I would have him in our team tomorrow

What do you reckon it would cost to secure his services? 10K a week?
  • Options
    Just been sent off for Leicester at Forest. Foxes were 1 up but now trail 2-1. Andy Reid scored pen for Forest.