Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - Saturday 18th January 1969 Charlton 2 Derby County 0

124»

Comments

• This was the first Charlton game I ever went to on my own with my mates, we stood on the east terrace right at the front, level with the penalty spot near the covered end.When the game finished we jumped over the railings onto the pitch and remember mobbing Harry Gregory who then became my favourite player.
    The match was on the "big match" on the Sunday and saw myself running on the pitch ,probably the one and only time I've been on TV.
    I think my mum has a photo somewhere taken of us setting off before the game
  • Was there standing on the small terrace to the right of the west stand. Superb goal from Ray Treacy.
  • It was a truly great game .. other than us winning well against a very tough and talented side, my outstanding memory is of Alan (hotshot) Hinton crashing a shot against our bar from way out .. the ball rebounded about thirty feet into the air and Charlie Wright, cool as a cucumber just let it drop into his arms .. it seems that all the other players were so stunned by the ferocity of the shot that they were momentarily paralysed into inaction and no-one made a move to get onto the rebound .. the second hardest shot I can recall from those times was the one from Ted Phillips (Leyton Orient ex Ipswich) that knocked out Mike Rose .. but that is another story
  • addick05 said:

I too was at the Derby game... what a good team we had then, so unlucky not to go up. Was talking to Theo Foley a few weeks ago and asked him who was the best player he had while at Charlton... answer, Alan Campbell. Can't argue with that!

Here's some action from '69 - Charlton v Hull, which shows some glimpses of Campbell's silky skills. The game ended 1 1 but I think if goal line tech existed we'd have won it! (around 36 mins in.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAVjXM043aA