Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - Saturday 18th January 1969 Charlton 2 Derby County 0

Comments

• edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]IIn answer to the Fulham 5-3 question, it was this season and they were relegated to the old third division. I can't remember whether Haines played though.

That was a strange game, Bing, wasn't it?

I can remember we went 2-0 up at The Valley, with two breakaways quite early in the match, despite bottom of the table Fulham dominating. I'm sure my cult hero, Harry Gregory scored, but all a bit blurry now. Fulham pegged us back but whenever we spasmodically attacked, we scored. I think Johnny Haynes scored twice, one from a penalty and the other from long range - the only time I saw the old England maestro play and he was about 35 and grey haired then.

Haynes completely dominated midfield, spraying precision passes and oozing class.
    Charlton were outplayed for long periods yet we scored at will.

Perhaps somebody with a better memory than me can come up with match stats.
  • [cite]Posted By: badger[/cite]Great stuff home and away, i always look forward to your posts, being an older charlton lifer and going to home games since the 64/65 season and being allowed to go to away games,(paper round to fund trip with lewis coaches in the early 70's and mums permission) it's refreshing and gets the old brain working, look forward to the next post.Football has changed so much and it's great to reflect.
    i'll get my crombie![div class=Attachments id=Attachments_38983 noWrap=false][ul compact=false][div noWrap=false]charlton fc emblem.jpg[/div][/ul][/div]

Hi, badger, I used to travel Lewis's in the early 70's, likely we were both on driver Eddie Cecil's coach.
    Let me know what grounds you used to go to?
  • edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]IIn answer to the Fulham 5-3 question, it was this season and they were relegated to the old third division. I can't remember whether Haines played though.

That was a strange game, Bing, wasn't it?

I can remember we went 2-0 up at The Valley, with two breakaways quite early in the match, despite bottom of the table Fulham dominating. I'm sure my cult hero, Harry Gregory scored, but all a bit blurry now. Fulham pegged us back but whenever we spasmodically attacked, we scored. I think Johnny Haynes scored twice, one from a penalty and the other from long range - the only time I saw the old England maestro play and he was about 35 and grey haired then.

Haynes completely dominated midfield, spraying precision passes and oozing class.
    Charlton were outplayed for long periods yet we scored at will.

Perhaps somebody with a better memory than me can come up with match stats.

I must have missed that game.

However does anybody remember Johnny Haynes playing for us? It was John Hewie's testimonial, about 65 at a guess, night game at The Valley against Chelsea and Haynes and Jimmy Langley of Fulham played for us.

Even at my young age then I could see that Haynes was a cut above with his vision and passing skills. He was unique but the player who comes nearest to him I can think of is probably Hoddle.
  • edited January 2007
    Not just Crombie (with silk hanky) Badger, what about Levi Sta-Pressed, button down Ben Sherman and the Frank Wright Loafers with tips and quarter irons, or on occasions, Doc Martins? Oh yeah and steel comb to boot?

God I thought I looked smart. Shame like my waist-line, its all gone down hill since then.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Not just Crombie (with silk hanky) Badger, what about Levi Sta-Pressed, button down Ben Sherman and the Frank Wright Loafers with tips and quarter irons, or on occasions, Doc Martins? Oh yeah and steel comb to boot?

God I thought I looked smart. Shame like my waist-line, its all gone down hill since then.

......and 'Prince of Wales check' jackets, 2-tone suits, Squires shoes & flourescent coloured socks.......and, yeah, the long steel comb.......I had that for years until my ex-wife chucked it out. LOL
  • Still got my crombie and still wear it on matchdays if it's a bit cold, travelled lewis coaches to Hereford United,Man u,Notts Forest,Halifax Town,Peterborough United,Bournemouth and others...Your spot on with the clobber oggy, used to have a tonic suit,& Harrington.Kids these days have no idea when it comes to Fashion,I'll get me braces.
  • I didnt realise Eddie was driving the Lewis coach from the early 70's. We used them throughout the eighties when it was the same faces every game (Sandra, Betty, Steve Hornchurch etc).
  • Just started to follow this post. 68/69 year was when I started down at the valley when we managed to finish at 3rd place. I also travelledon the Lewis coaches to all away matches. Anybody remember the first away match in the third division against Walsall and the goings on in their end and especially on the way back at the service stations - several addicks were stabbed when they went across to the other services and came across Coventry/Everton? fans that attacked them. Not sure of names but Mick comes to mind but he was wearing the butchers white coat with charlton writing on. It was strange when he found he had several stab wounds on his back and legs as we travelled back on the coach. Pleased to say those violent days have gone now.
  • I was on a lewis coach for this game with older brother.
  • For the confused earlier in this thread..............

Charlton 5 (4) (Gregory 6, 21pen, Moore 22, Booth 40, 50) Fulham 3 (1) (Halom 29, Byrne 57, Ryan 85) Att 17,171.

Charlton: Wright, Curtis, Kinsey, (Kiers 46), Campbell, Went, Reeves, Gregory, Booth, Tees, Moore, Peacock.

Fulham: Seymour, Conway, Dempsey, Brown, Ryan, Callaghan, Earle, Haynes, Byrne, Halom, Parmenter (Large 82) <---- now a poster on this forum!

Referee: The one and only R B Kirkpatrick (Leicester) What a character he was!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2007
    Yeah, Oggy, two tone suits and flourescent coloured socks. Memories eh. Thats all they are now, except for Badger and his Crombie!
  • Kirkpatrick. Short fat and bald if memory serves me correctly.
  • Squire shoes and blakeys blimey i'd forgotten about them!
  • The blakeys would go on the back and the front,sometimes they would stick out on the front for maximum impact,they used to hurt bigtime.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Yeah, Oggy, two tone suits and flourescent coloured socks. Memories eh. Thats all they are now, except for Badger and his Crombie!

We thought we were tasty geezers.....Ha Ha!

I bought my crombie (with red folded handkerchief in the breast pocket) from C & A in Lewisham, LOL, in October 1971 with my first proper wage packet. cost about £5.95 if I remember, but maybe wrong.......

Wore it for a couple of years then bought a dirty great ex-RAF coat -it went down past my knees,and that signalled the end of my smart look.
  • edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: HOME & AWAY[/cite]For the confused earlier in this thread..............

Charlton 5 (4) (Gregory 6, 21pen, Moore 22, Booth 40, 50) Fulham 3 (1) (Halom 29, Byrne 57, Ryan 85) Att 17,171.

Charlton: Wright, Curtis, Kinsey, (Kiers 46), Campbell, Went, Reeves, Gregory, Booth, Tees, Moore, Peacock.

Fulham: Seymour, Conway, Dempsey, Brown, Ryan, Callaghan, Earle, Haynes, Byrne, Halom, Parmenter (Large 82) <---- now a poster on this forum!

• [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: HOME & AWAY[/cite]For the confused earlier in this thread..............

Johnny Haynes scored twice, did he? Got that one wrong, then.......still I was only 12 or 13. Still 'Arry Gregory scoring and Haynes playing......see, wasn't all wrong! LOL

Graham Moore was skipper, a big, commanding blonde haired midfielder, with a decent touch and a thunderous shot whenever he ventured forward. A Welsh international, born Bargoed (sadly, I always read the pen-pictures in the away programmes), played for Cardiff City, Chelsea, Man Utd and ....er, Northampton Town in their one and only top flight season along with Theo Foley. In my memory, I can still hear him urging on the team in his Welsh accent: "C'marn, C'MARN!....
    He ended up having his leg broken in a dour 1-0 defeat at Blackburn a couple of seasons later and never played again.

Dennis Booth was the utility man in the side, perrenially number 12 like all good utility men. Even so, he normally covered in defence but I see in the Fulham game (no Ray Treacy), he was pressed into service up front, scoring twice. I think he transferred eventually to Blackpool (good side in those days) and maybe played for Watford. He might still be back room staff today somewhere like Villa, but I can't be sure.

Enough pen-pictures of the Charlton scorers. Vic Halom for Fulham, in time honoured tradition was busy scoring against his old club. A Charlton colt, he couldn't really establish himself at centre forward ahead of the likes of Eddie Firmani and Ron Saunders (yep, the old Villa manager) and was shipped out first to Orient before joining Fulham.

And 'Budgie' Byrne, another old England international and an old 'Appy 'Ammer made his mark that day - the only time I saw him play. And are you sure Haynes didn't score......? < senior moment> LOL

The referee, Roger Kirkpatrick - we hated him. Short, fat, bald, blind as a bat, of no legitimate parentage.....he made sure he was the star of the show, play-acting and pissing off everybody, players and crowd alike. Pompous little cretin.

But it was funny when he did it to the opposition.......

• Oggy Red and quite a few others on here thank you for remembering stuff that I didn't know I'd forgotten:)
    But I do remember Graham Moore well, and talking of his fearsome shot, does anyone remember him scoring a screamer in a decisive Charlton victory about 4-1 I think it was, where he buried a volley from just outside the area from a cross on the left?
    Not sure who against but Norwich comes to mind for some reason, it was just a great finish.
    Anyone else remember that one?
    And another player from around that time, Eamon Rodgers, classy midfielder who could pick out a pass? Had a lot of hair....
  • [cite]Posted By: 3blokes[/cite]
    But I do remember Graham Moore well, and talking of his fearsome shot, does anyone remember him scoring a screamer in a decisive Charlton victory about 4-1 I think it was, where he buried a volley from just outside the area from a cross on the left?

Close but no cigar 3blokes.......

Charlton 3 (1) Campbell 42, Riddick 68, Moore 72. Norwich City 0 (0) Att 8,069

Outfield player Payne took over in goal for Norwich after keeper Keelan broke his arm after diving at the feet of Treacy.
  • That Derby game sounds like a real buzz,shame i was 2
  • Sponsored links:

• 2 points for a win, a great game and the covered end was heaving,will always remeber it.
  • That Graham Moore screamer in the 3-0 win against Norwich was quality......a high ball from deep was headed by Gordon Riddick to Moore, who headed it back to Riddick, who headed it down to Moore's feet - who then spread the ball to the left wing. Masiello took a touch and laid the ball back into the path of Moore, continuing his run - who thundered the ball into the back of the net.

It stays in the memory because of the unusual 'head tennis' of Riddick and Moore inthe middle of the park.
    Straight off the training ground.
  • Blimey Oggy,"Head Tennis"whatever next,i'm going dizzy.
  • [cite]Posted By: badger[/cite]Blimey Oggy,"Head Tennis"whatever next,i'm going dizzy.

You still up, Badger? I should have turned it in already but reading these threads, my heads buzzing with mind pictures of the 'old days'......
  • Good stuff guys. This reminds me of sitting on my Granddads knee listening to his stories of being in Coastal Command during WWII
  • happy days
  • Derby game have programme and ticket at home for this match,Ray Tracey goal of the season on The Big Match ITV.
    Fulham game and signed programme by Johney Haynes also only time i have seen him play.
    Graham Moore my first Charlton HERO,finished his playing days at Doncaster,will always recall the 25yard goal he scored against Cardiff at home over Easter 69 4-0 win .
    It just so happens have pen pictures of that team all sighed in a frame on the wall HAPPY DAYS.
    As for coach travel just look at the name.
  • [cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]Graham Moore my first Charlton HERO

And mine, Lewises.

Proper skipper, wasn't he?
    Commanded midfield, and drove that team.

I can still hear his voice ringing out in a quiet moment at The Valley, bawling out a player: "C'maaaan, c'maaaaan", in his strong Welsh accent.
  • I remember the last game of this season against Preston, it was probably the most one sided game of the season but we lost 1-0 to a Ricky Heppolette (the only Indian player I can recall) penalty, we actually missed two penalties ourselves and we should have have several goals...

The first game of the next season we again played Preston in a game that again saw three penalties, and although we won 2-1 I remember thinking we were a former shadow of ourselves and I thought from that very moment we were gonna struggle that season...

I was unfortunately proved correct...
  • Losing Matt Tees was a big blow, he had some falling out with management.

We drew too many games at home in that near promotion season. Like may of you, I assume, I used to stand on the little concrete wall on the East Terrace with my feet between the red railings.

I certainly remember the 4-0 against Cardiff, and my first Charlton shirt had a number 10 on the back.

Wright, Curtis, Kinsey, Went, Reeves, was a fanatstic defence. Peter Reeves was class, but got injured (knee?) at a relatively young age.

I think it was Xmas 69 when we went to Greenwich Park in the snow when our game was called off and we met Charlie Wright up there; lovely fella.