Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Simon Walton

2»

Comments

• Options
    gotta feel for him. Get's the chance to move to a Club in a higher division to try and resurrect his career and first outing that happens. Don't care how thick he is or whatever he doesn't deserve that. Wish him a speedy recover. At least he get's to spend more time with the missus ;-))
  • Options
    I don't know how Sheff Utd were gonna give him a year anyway plus NOW they've got to pay his wages for a season as well whilst in the treatment room.

Blackwell gambled and made a massive mistake.
  • Options
    Fired a brace in against the Spanners at the weekend.
  • Options
    26 years old
  • Options
    So much of a prospect when young a.d now looking like a journey man when he should be at his peak
  • Options
    As a CB he failed the height test. As a midfielder he failed the footballer test.
  • Options

As a CB he failed the height test. As a midfielder he failed the footballer test.

Can take a dead ball though. On tonight's Fantasy football he completed the corner challenge equivalent of a nine darter at darts or 147 at snooker in managing to complete the task in two.
  • Options
    The lad had so much going for him.
    He was at Ipswich on loan as a 19 year old and really had a promising future.
    Strong, commanding - at that time.
    Went backwards, sadly.
    Football is as much, if not more, in the mind as it is in natural/innate ability.
    The Manager who eventually, if ever, opens the magic door to Balotelli's skills will be hailed as a legend.
  • Options
    purdis said:

Football is as much, if not more, in the mind as it is in natural/innate ability.

As much as anything, this why so many talented prospects fail to make the grade.

And why many less gifted but determined and single minded players can make a decent career.

But the player who combines both ability with a focused attitude can find his way to the top.

• Options
    Agreed.
    I saw Callum Harriot showing off his first Rolex on Twitter recently.
    That worries me when the money is clearly bigger than the player.
    A few years back I used to see Jack Colback at my local gym in Ipswich when on loan - he was 19 at the time and he and his pretty girlfriend (who I believe became his wife) used to show up at the gym in his and hers Range Rover Vogues.
    Fortunately, Jack stayed focused and is now an established Prem player.
    Let's hope that happens to Callum & others like him!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes they all have the watch, clothes, car, girlfriend, haircut, tattoos but many lack the talent or application.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Yes they all have the watch, clothes, car, girlfriend, haircut, tattoos but many lack the talent or application.

They usually have the talent as well - it is really the application that they lack. There really should be some trust fund arrangement whereby the inflated wages are put aside until the players retire - somehow I doubt the agents who are meant to look after their clients interests see it this way, so there should probably also be proper licensing and training for them, if only up to the rather lackadaisical standards we require for financial advisers.
  • Options

26 years old

I wonder who paid the largest transfer fee on that list?
  • Options
    sm said:

iaitch said:

They usually have the talent as well - it is really the application that they lack. There really should be some trust fund arrangement whereby the inflated wages are put aside until the players retire - somehow I doubt the agents who are meant to look after their clients interests see it this way, so there should probably also be proper licensing and training for them, if only up to the rather lackadaisical standards we require for financial advisers.
    Very good point. In this article on Gordon Taylor, (the highest paid union elder in the land by a country mile) Owen Gibson argues that the PFA are ideally placed to play a role like that but ignore it.
  • Options
    Are young footballers any different from other young people? Living for today and not planning for the future.

You see someone like David James declared bankrupt and think how many will follow.
  • Options
    An 18 year old County cricketer's initial contract is likely to be around £18K for the season. An 18 year old in the PL is likely to earn more than that in one week.

It would be wrong to make a blanket comparison but I wouldn't mind betting that the young cricketer, in general terms, doesn't think he's made it yet. But the PL, by virtue of all the trappings and accolades, probably is lulled into believing so.

It reminds me of the story that Steve Coppell told a decade ago when at Reading. He was having a go at a young player in training - the player's response "Boss, have you seen the car I drive and my pay slip because I'll show you if you want".

One sportsman realises that he has to really work at his game if he's going to make a living out of it. The other is earning a million a year and figures he probably won't have to work again even if he doesn't.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

You see someone like David James declared bankrupt and think how many will follow.

So David James didn't save anything?.........
  • Options

An 18 year old County cricketer's initial contract is likely to be around £18K for the season. An 18 year old in the PL is likely to earn more than that in one week.

It would be wrong to make a blanket comparison but I wouldn't mind betting that the young cricketer, in general terms, doesn't think he's made it yet. But the PL, by virtue of all the trappings and accolades, probably is lulled into believing so.

It reminds me of the story that Steve Coppell told a decade ago when at Reading. He was having a go at a young player in training - the player's response "Boss, have you seen the car I drive and my pay slip because I'll show you if you want".

One sportsman realises that he has to really work at his game if he's going to make a living out of it. The other is earning a million a year and figures he probably won't have to work again even if he doesn't.

The young player thinks he's made it and then gets complacent, doesn't work as hard and then at the end of his contract no one wants him and his earnings fall alarmingly (welcome to the real world), then the bills come in and he has nothing to pay them with.

Then we got the sob stories in the paper of how penniless he is and how he's blown millions and we should all sympathise with him!!
  • Options
    edited January 2015

iaitch said:

So David James didn't save anything?.........
    By all accounts he saved his (ex) wife following the divorce.
  • Options
    David James has been diagnosed as a phycopath
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    kevtherev said:

David James has been diagnosed as a phycopath

Eh?
  • Options
    kevtherev said:

David James has been diagnosed as an artist and painter.

There, fixed it for you.

Everybody has a decent side to them.