Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Here's wishing Andy Murray ..............

13»

Comments

• Options
    but he is scottish? where is the problem..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Don't get this oppression thing, I haven't oppressed them, neither did my Dad, Dad's Dad or any other ancestor. My ancestors were piss poor working class people who were shat upon by the elite the same as the Irish, Scots and all the rest, "hating" the English because of what a load of privleged toffs did 200 years ago is pathetic. I had three uncles who died either in infancy or at birth because of the poverty my Mum's family lived in in the East End before the war, that is ONE generation back - working class English children were dying because of the lack of care from the rich and well born - but these pompous nationalist types want to blame all of us? Stop and think for a second England haters...

Well I didn't fight in the world war, but I still think of Germany as our footballing rivals. It depends whether it's a genuine dislike, or just a footballing one. If someone in the home nations genuinely hates England as a country and hold a grudge then that is a bit stupid, but for something silly like footballing rivalries I don't find it that much of an issue. You see it in club rivalries for example where they tend to be built based on proximity rather than any rational reasoning.
  • Options
    i dont see a problem. He is a scot, what he thinks of anything to do with England or the English doesnt mean f**k all.We should look on the Scots now as we do all our European friends no differant.

When he wins the title it will mean no more to me than a Swiss or someone from Spain winning it.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]i dont see a problem. He is a scot, what he thinks of anything to do with England or the English doesnt mean f**k all.We should look on the Scots now as we do all our European friends no differant.

When he wins the title it will mean no more to me than a Swiss or someone from Spain winning it.

He plays tennis under the British flag and represents Britain, which makes it different to football. Or did you not support Chris Hoy at the olympics?
  • Options
    but he is scottish? where is the problem..nolly
    It is his dislike for being classed as 'British', or former revised, views on the subject, not his right to be called Scottish.
    On the subject of 'proximity', I think it is more cultural and tribal, and of course the undisputted fact that Millwall fans are a pile of shit!
  • Options
    no he plays tennis and is scottish
  • Options
    quite like the fact he thinks of himself as a scot,all about choices.
  • Options
    And I quite like the fact that he lost....... again yesterday!
  • Options
    He lost twice yesterday?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Don't get this oppression thing, I haven't oppressed them, neither did my Dad, Dad's Dad or any other ancestor. My ancestors were piss poor working class people who were shat upon by the elite the same as the Irish, Scots and all the rest, "hating" the English because of what a load of privleged toffs did 200 years ago is pathetic. I had three uncles who died either in infancy or at birth because of the poverty my Mum's family lived in in the East End before the war, that is ONE generation back - working class English children were dying because of the lack of care from the rich and well born - but these pompous nationalist types want to blame all of us? Stop and think for a second England haters...

Well I didn't fight in the world war, but I still think of Germany as our footballing rivals. It depends whether it's a genuine dislike, or just a footballing one. If someone in the home nations genuinely hates England as a country and hold a grudge then that is a bit stupid, but for something silly like footballing rivalries I don't find it that much of an issue. You see it in club rivalries for example where they tend to be built based on proximity rather than any rational reasoning.

Absloutely - I was taliking about the ones who genuinely hate England, and there are a few (but by no means all) about.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]i dont see a problem. He is a scot, what he thinks of anything to do with England or the English doesnt mean f**k all.We should look on the Scots now as we do all our European friends no differant.

He plays tennis under the British flag and represents Britain, which makes it different to football. Or did you not support Chris Hoy at the olympics?

Tennis is an individual sport so he is not playing under any flag. And he never plays in the Davis Cup.
  • Options
    He has played in the Davis Cup, although he missed the last round through injury.

I think he is trying to reduce his Davis Cup commitments to look after his career, that and the rest of the British DC squad are utter cack. Some might see this as a lack of patriotism, although when Tim Henman dropped out of the DC he was exercising his right as an individual.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]

Tennis is an individual sport so he is not playing under any flag. And he never plays in the Davis Cup.

Depends whether you support individuals or not. I still supported Tim Henman because he's British, even if you could say he's not actually representing any British team. Our tennis system is organised in terms of Britain, and the players who come from Britain to some extent represent British tennis. Just as I'm sure the Spanish support Rafa and the Swiss support Federer - even though these players aren't technically playing for their country.
  • Options
    Oh and as BFR says, he has played Davis Cup. He didn't bother with the Lithuania game, as we should be able to beat a couple of Lithuanian teenagers ranked around 500 or so without him. We didn't, and perhaps having Murray to paper over the cracks wouldn't have been the best thing anyway.
  • Options
    Glad he lost:
    couldn't put up with his "Scottish Wit".