Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Here's wishing Andy Murray ..............

Comments

• Options
    Great to see a Brit excelling on the world stage and flying the Union flag with pride.
    How people can slag him off having watched the shower of sh*te from those wasters last week is beyond me
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Rubbish mortimercian. You scottish have been celebrating all week.
    Not at all, I was very disappointed. Most of my Scots mates texted me to say they're right off their deep fried mars bars and skag. My missus accused me of laughing at the goal-that-never-was, but it was a hysterical reaction on my part caused by traumatic upset. Ever since we pulled out of international football in the early 90s the England team has given me a lot of pleasure.
  • Options
    I know footballers do it and theres no excuse for it, but never have I seen such an obvious foul-mouthed tennis player. The language he uses is blatant, and when you see fantastic players like Federer and Nadal NOT using the method he uses when they play bad shots; it totally puts me off Murray. Also Nadal, likewise to Federer, is a true bloke off the court so I hope Nadal absolutely runs Murray all over the court!
  • Options
    It's tennis. Who gives a shit.
  • Options
    Obviously not you so clear off out of this thread mate!
  • Options
    Murray is not a personable young man like Tim Henman was and thus is harder to "like."

That said he is British and thus will have my support.

However, should he lose, I reserve the right to call him a Scottish tw**!

:-)
  • Options
    I wish him all the best of luck, some people are just sad.

I pity you.

Come on Andy!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Save your pity for someone who needs it.
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    I didn't realise until today he was a kid at the school in Dunblane during the massacre. Hid under a table with his brother apparently.
    So at least respect for overcoming that.

He's not the most personable guy but then neither are most of our footballers and at least he's genuine and doesn't just say the same scripted soundbites over and over again. supposer i'd prefer him to win but not really fussed either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]
    He's not the most personable guy but then neither are most of our footballers and at least he's genuine and doesn't just say the same scripted soundbites over and over again. supposer i'd prefer him to win but not really fussed either.

This is my view as well. He just can't be bothered playing the media game, and that's refreshing in a way. There was a bit of a furore recently when, upon being asked where the top woman would be ranked in the men's game, he said he'd be surprised if they made the top 1000. Which is an honest answer, rather than doing the usual thing of coyly laughing it off to avoid hassle.

Rather that than a preening git like Federer who puts on this suave outer persona, but is shown to be a petulant child stamping his foot whenever he loses. Where was mr magnanimous when he sobbed and wailed that 'this just hurts so much' upon losing to Nadal in the Australian Open final, and in the process dragging the spotlight off the new champion? When Murray lost to Federer the following year there were also tears on Murray's part, but he just made a swift handshake then retreated to let Federer have his moment. I find that more worthy of respect than all the quick quips and joking with Sue Barker in the world.
  • Options
    nadal owns federer,look at the head to head in slam finals
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]nadal owns federer,look at the head to head in slam finals

Yeah, the only question mark over Federer's position as the greatest player ever is Nadal keeps beating him. I guess it could be said that its Federer's long term fitness and record that still makes him the greatest. A shame that Nadal is slightly crocked, or who knows what he could achieve in the game.
  • Options
    "supposer i'd prefer him to win but not really fussed either. "

The way i feel too. And so now Brazil are out we can turn to this... he's one set down.
  • Options
    Wave your Scottish flag now mate!........
  • Options
    oh well!
  • Options
    lol ken! That has made me chuckle. Always next year andy ... Or when nadal retires.
  • Options
    My understanding is that he made that remark in an off-the-cuff exchange of jokes with some reporter who was winding him up about Scotland. The reporter said he was joking when he wrote the article.

Then some other paper picks up the 'anyone but england!' quote and runs an entirely different story, saying Murray hates the English.

And now everybody thinks Murray hates the English.

That being said, I still don't like him.
  • Options
    but we are not saying he hates the english he just doesnt support them. Like most scots welsh an irish. So it depends how people want to take it. We are the bigger people an support home nations but they dont. Althoug my irish cousins all sent good luck messages to me last sunday. But prob only cos im family. Never met a welsh or scot or non family irish man who would want us to do well. Banter:)
  • Options
    got to support a british person in any sport i think! not that i'm really that bothered if he loses since i'm not that interested in tennis anyways. :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]We are the bigger people an support home nations but they dont.

Yeah ... they hate us and probably with good reason. Centuries of oppression.. Mel Gibson and Braveheart certainly didn't help.

They never really did much to us, probably why we don't mind cheering them on!
  • Options
    Don't get this oppression thing, I haven't oppressed them, neither did my Dad, Dad's Dad or any other ancestor. My ancestors were piss poor working class people who were shat upon by the elite the same as the Irish, Scots and all the rest, "hating" the English because of what a load of privleged toffs did 200 years ago is pathetic. I had three uncles who died either in infancy or at birth because of the poverty my Mum's family lived in in the East End before the war, that is ONE generation back - working class English children were dying because of the lack of care from the rich and well born - but these pompous nationalist types want to blame all of us? Stop and think for a second England haters...
  • Options
    did someone mention mel?
  • Options
    Posting the day after he got stuffed but. As always I wish for Scots in sport exactly what they wish the English at sport. Make of that what you will.
  • Options
    not into doffing the cap algarve?
  • Options
    Mc Henman FACT!
  • Options
    Don't get it Nolly - clue me in...
  • Options
    Yet another Scotsman let's us Brits down...
  • Options
    Look, fair play to him if he did say he hope whoever plays England he supports. I saw him on TV saying it was a joke but so what if it wasn't

He's Scottish, not English why would he support England!

I don't care much for tennis but he seems to have the attitude of a winner (don't know if he wins much seeing as these Federer and Nadal chaps have all that sewn up)

Bit like that orrible winner Mourinho
  • Options
    Well Carter, we can all say things in the heat of the moment, and revise them, not to quite mean what we implied.......
    All I know, and if you read my posting earlier...... when Nicholas Andrew Argyll "Nicky" Campbell (born 10 April 1961) is a British (Scottish) radio and television presenter and journalist interviewed him on BBC 5 live a few years ago, he declared himself Scottish. He may well have revised his version of events, and perhaps he did not mean to express himself, quite in that way. As I said earlier that is his perogative, but claim it was a 'joke', not implied, off the record and all the other pr crap that celebs reach for, and revise when there marketing manager/advisers tell them they have made a rickett!.

If he is proud to be Scottish, fine. We all have our crosses to bear.....you chose the Cross of St Andrew......