Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Released players list 2010

2»

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Bryan Hughes is without a club, could do a lot worse and imho more than capable of doing a job at League 1 level.[/quote]

not a bad idea
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    This is the time of the year when i really wish i was a manager. Wheeling & dealing in the transfer market/free agents.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Bryan Hughes is without a club, could do a lot worse and imho more than capable of doing a job at League 1 level.

Too similar to Matt Spring.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Bryan Hughes is without a club, could do a lot worse and imho more than capable of doing a job at League 1 level.

as much as I disliked him (in the league we were in he wasn't good enough) he would be an excellent signing at this level
  • Options
    He is similar to Spring but Spring will surely be off. Also we are not going to do a lot better and he can fill in both in the middle and on the left. We do not currently have a senior left midfielder on our books and we are not going to sign more than 1. Therefore not only will be be good in the middle but his versatility will be a bonus.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]He is similar to Spring but Spring will surely be off. Also we are not going to do a lot better and he can fill in both in the middle and on the left. We do not currently have a senior left midfielder on our books and we are not going to sign more than 1. Therefore not only will be be good in the middle but his versatility will be a bonus.

far more creatively and going forward in my view, however that was a couple of years back now.. :)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]

as much as I disliked him (in the league we were in he wasn't good enough) he would be an excellent signing at this level

Can he still run?
    He's almost 34.

Hughes agreed to mutually terminate his contract with Hull on 28 January 2010. So we could have signed him at any time and played him, not that we've been short of midfielders.

Knows how to take the perfect winning penalty (penalty shoot out v Chelsea, Stamford Bridge 2005).
    Always capable of nicking a goal out of nothing. Good 1st touch, but lightweight.
  • Options
    Dean Cox from Brighton could be worth a trial maybe ? If Sam goes and Reid returns to Sheffield United we will be short of wingers.
    John Spicer, Sam Togwell, Shaun Derry, Clint Hill are the other ones that stand out.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Think we might be having some ideas above our station regarding the wages of players like Derry and Clint Hill. I don't expect us to sign any players of that quality. I think we'll be replacing good players with average ones rather than improving on what we've got.
  • Options
    Adam Virgo waa released from Brighton, not so long ago Celtic bought him so can't be that bad. Interested to find out what has happened to his career but if he could get it back on track, could be a very good signing. Again I am sure he can play in a few positions inc RB/CB
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bryan Hughes would be a quality signing imo... really liked him when he was here before
  • Options
    Like we went for Richardson over Murty, I think we need someone younger, fitter and a little quicker than Hughes. As fans we don't know who that is, but I'm sure Parky will have some ideas.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite] I think we need someone younger, fitter and a little quicker than Hughes.

That's a good point in itself, Scoham ........ generally, I feel we've been a little one-paced in midfield, defence too slow when caught on the break, and no real nippy forwards. Obviously, there's a few exceptions, Sam and Akpo are not too shabby; Reidy and Waggy. whenever they've played ...... but often from the bench, though.

But we do overall seem to lack players with that quick first half-yard, but played other teams who seem to have it.
    Look how mobile and sharp Swindon were up front, for example.

Maybe, if changes are forced on Parky this summer, he'll be looking for replacements that can add that element of nippiness to the team - younger yet still sufficiently experienced. It could make all the difference.
  • Options
    Up front definitely, our only quick strikers aren't good enough in other areas. Apart from Akpo though, he has a bit of pace. He's just not the type to try and get in behind defences.

Obviously if Youga if he stays and gets fit will add more pace to the defence.
  • Options
    Yep, Youga missing for more than half a season, has been a big loss.

In both semi games against Swindon, our defence was totally outstripped on the break - both Swindon goals at the County ground, let alone the chances they missed. And at The Valley, their goal, plus missed chances - anfd of course, Llera left for dead in his sending off offence.

Other games that offhand spring to mind, conceding at Millwall and Bristol Rovers.