Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England 30

2»

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Milner has been playing on the left for England hasn't he?

But never plays there for his club so we're back to the old problem of playing players out of position. I'd rather a natural winger there than a centre midfielder stuck out there.
  • In Capello we trust.
  • Thought you guys might like this article on why Darren Bent deserves to be in the squad:

http://www.footballfancast.com/football-blogs/darren-bent-fast-becoming-capello%e2%80%99s-blind-spot
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Milner has been playing on the left for England hasn't he?

Gerrard or J Cole generally....Capello's first 11 would probably currently read

James
    Johnson Terry Ferdinand Cole
    Lennon Lampard Barry Gerrard
    Heskey Rooney

I'll be surprised if that line up doesn't start against USA (assuming all fit)
  • So now the next question is:

does Capello use the friendlies to

a) try out some of the fringe players who need the chance to impress?

or

b) play the team he thinks at the moment will start the first game of the World Cup?
  • Great to see Bent and Parker in the 30 - unlikely either will make the final cut but thoroughly deserved recognition for great seasons for the pair of them
  • edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]Great to see Bent and Parker in the 30 - unlikely either will make the final cut but thoroughly deserved recognition for great seasons for the pair of them

I think both could make the final squad, if Barry is not fit we need a ball winner either scotty or Huddlestone and i think we need to take 5 stikers, if Bent plays in one of both of the friendlies gets a couple of goals.
  • I personally think its a joke that Carragher is back in!
  • no Ashley Young?
  • edited May 2010
    can't recall ever being this unenthusiastic about an England team in a big tournament

Where are the Gazzas, the Beckhams even the Owens? Or am I just getting old

:)
  • Sponsored links:

• getting old razil! ;)
  • When you look at his career and stats, it's difficult to see why Darren Bent's not a shoein for the final squad.

In 165 Premier League appearances he's scored an incredible 73 goals (for 3 different clubs)

His total transfer fees in that time total more than £30m.

And he's still only 26.
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]no Ashley Young?
    Yep very suprised at that, suprised Barry in squad considering just got injured but he obviously knows more then me

Benty & Parker will be dropped, cant see how heskey cant get in Villa squad yet we still play him? joke imo yes he does ok with rooney but nothing noone else cant do, would even put carlton cole in squad instead of him, my Starting based on that squad would be:

Hart
    Johnson, Rio & Terry, Cole
    Milner, Lampard, Barry(if fit), Gerrard
    Crouch & Rooney

Bent supers sub, with theo although cant see it happenning also wouldn't be suprised if adam johnson forces his way into the team and milner/lennon
  • Capello doesn't like Young, possibly due to his behaviour when away with England squads in the past
  • [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]Capello doesn't like Young, possibly due to his behaviour when away with England squads in the past

I've never heard anything about that. What's the deal? Young has certainly been a lot more consistent than Lennon, SWP and Walcott over the last 2 seasons, and he regularly plays left wing (seems like he and Downing swap wings during the game for Villa).

Interesting that England's 30 man squad contains 5 strikers, compared to some others:

France have 9! (though not sure Ribery and Ben Arfa counts as a striker)
    Italy have 7
  • Capello doesn't like Young as he thought, probably correctly, that he'd taken his foot off the gas and gone a bit flash on the back of six months' good work... I don't think he's made a squad since a very average 65 mins in Amsterdam in August...after which Milner came on and shone
  • [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]Capello doesn't like Young, possibly due to his behaviour when away with England squads in the past

I've never heard anything about that. What's the deal? Young has certainly been a lot more consistent than Lennon, SWP and Walcott over the last 2 seasons, and he regularly plays left wing (seems like he and Downing swap wings during the game for Villa).

Interesting that England's 30 man squad contains 5 strikers, compared to some others:

Francehave 9! (though not sure Ribery and Ben Arfa counts as a striker)
    Italyhave 7

Ribery, Govou and Ben arfa are wingers and Valbuena is an attacking midfielder. Briand won't make the cut so i imagine they'll just have Henry, Anelka, Gignac and Cisse. Surprised they didn't pick Benzema, admittedly he's not had a great season but he's still a quality striker.
  • [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]Capello doesn't like Young, possibly due to his behaviour when away with England squads in the past

Italyhave 7

Wasn't it certain escapades with a web cam while staying in a hotel before one of the qualifiers (allegedly)?
  • John Terry has a sore foot...
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]

Italyhave 7

Ribery, Govou and Ben arfa are wingers and Valbuena is an attacking midfielder. Briand won't make the cut so i imagine they'll just have Henry, Anelka, Gignac and Cisse. Surprised they didn't pick Benzema, admittedly he's not had a great season but he's still a quality striker.

Benzema is one of those players who I know must have something about him because he's so talked about, but yet has been absolute toilet every single time I've seen him play (not a huge number of times admittedly)

Trezeguet used to be similar