Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Election woes

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]I just done some maths and to have a majority of just one seat there would have to be a coalition of Labour, Liberal, SNP *and* Plaid Cymru. What a cluster**** that would end up being.
    don't forget the Green and Lady Hermon parties too ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]I just done some maths and to have a majority of just one seat there would have to be a coalition of Labour, Liberal, SNP *and* Plaid Cymru. What a cluster**** that would end up being.
    don't forget the Lady Hermon parties too ;-)

didnt she want to ban page 3 ;)
  • Options
    Salad
    I accepted the point Re votes in an earlier post.
    I believe the seats won indicate an overwhelming Tory victory in England.
    Con 292 Lab 188 LD 42 That's 104 more than the nearest challenger.
  • Options
    Cameron has opened up his arms to Clegg although "a commitee" on PR may not be enough...

It would be weird having two polar opposite parties forming a coalition.
  • Options
    IAIA
    edited May 2010

Is that including the Alliance MP in Northern Ireland, because she's essentially a Lib Dem

EDIT Cameron's statement seemed weak. He just repeated Tory policies and said 'hey, Lib Dems, you say something similar on these issues'.

A Committee on electoral reform is very very weak. If I was a Lib Dem, I wouldn't take it - Labour would side with the Tories in it
  • Options
    Cameron's offer of a talking shop on Electoral reform is not going to get the lib dems on side
  • Options
    As a Unionist (albeit a Tory hating one) I doubt Hermon would buddy up with Labour. There's three SDLP and the Alliance party lady too.

Essentially, the Tories and Unionists = 316 seats, Labour and the Liberals = 315 seats.

With a winning post of 324 seats, people like Hermon and Lucas suddenly become kingmakers.

I really want the Libs to buddy up with Labour, just to see what way the minor parties gravitate...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]

Is that including the Alliance MP in Northern Ireland, because she's essentially a Lib Dem
    + 3 seats from the SDLP, which is effectively Labour in N.Ireland
  • Options
    I'd expect the DUP to change sides if there was something in it for them or if they felt it was their only chance of getting something.

Can't say I'm a fan of a 'dolly mix' government. Would much prefer Con-Lib
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]Salad
    Con 292 Lab 188 LD 42 That's 104 more than the nearest challenger.[/quote]

Only 10 seats in Scotland, Wales and NI? That's not very representative of the UK is it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    OK, so winning post = 324

Tories/Unionists = 316
    Labour/LibDems = 319 (see below)
    Labour/SDLP = 261
    LibDem/Alliance = 58

That leaves the SNP (6), Plaid Cymru (3), Greens (1) and Mrs Harmon (1)

That means they'd only really need the SNP.
  • Options
    If the Lib Dems are smart they will only demand one thing from Conservatives or Labour - immediate electoral reform through a public referendum. It's the only way they can convert their votes to seats. Cameron's party will not let him offer anything more than a cross party discussion of this issue. So can't see a deal between Conservatives or Lib Dems. Labour have already publically offered a referendum to the Lib Dems. So over the next couple of days I would expect a deal to be made between the Lib Dems, Labour, SNP etc. This coalition would hold until the referendum took place. Once the new electoral legislation was passed into law the coalition would collapse and another election would take place.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]Salad

Only 10 seats in Scotland, Wales and NI? That's not very representative of the UK is it.

Have you been following this thread ?
  • Options
    and based on that jonny73 who would win if the electorial reform with todays figures??

Lab
    Cons
    LIB
  • Options
    Looks like small mouth Cameron is selling out to the Liberals, surely the new PM can't have a mouth as small as Camerons?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]Salad
    Con 292 Lab 188 LD 42 That's 104 more than the nearest challenger.[/quote]

Only 10 seats in Scotland, Wales and NI? That's not very representative of the UK is it.[/quote]

Have you been following this thread ?[/quote]

I was being facetious.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]and based on that jonny73 who would win if the electorial reform with todays figures??

Lab
    Cons
    LIB[/quote]

Depends on how far reaching the reforms go.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnny73[/cite]If the Lib Dems are smart they will only demand one thing from Conservatives or Labour - immediate electoral reform through a public referendum. It's the only way they can convert their votes to seats. Cameron's party will not let him offer anything more than a cross party discussion of this issue. So can't see a deal between Conservatives or Lib Dems. Labour have already publically offered a referendum to the Lib Dems. So over the next couple of days I would expect a deal to be made between the Lib Dems, Labour, SNP etc. This coalition would hold until the referendum took place. Once the new electoral legislation was passed into law the coalition would collapse and another election would take place.

That is a possibility. The Libs could then reign-in the Tories on the more right-wing legislatures they wanted to bring in (repealing the hunting ban, for instance), which would be no bad thing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnny73[/cite]If the Lib Dems are smart they will only demand one thing from Conservatives or Labour - immediate electoral reform through a public referendum. It's the only way they can convert their votes to seats. Cameron's party will not let him offer anything more than a cross party discussion of this issue. So can't see a deal between Conservatives or Lib Dems. Labour have already publically offered a referendum to the Lib Dems. So over the next couple of days I would expect a deal to be made between the Lib Dems, Labour, SNP etc. This coalition would hold until the referendum took place. Once the new electoral legislation was passed into law the coalition would collapse and another election would take place.

First off, I don't think Cameron was ever going to offer PR immediately in a statement on TV. He may budge in negotiations, he may not. He'll have to budge on something, and PR seems the easiest of them all.

I have no idea how that referendum would go if the Conservatives were in opposition. I'd expect them to campaign on it as a referendum on the last 13 years of Labour and say that PR would guarantee 100 more years of Labour incompetence in government etc etc. Not saying any of this is true (in fact, I think very little of it is true), but that's a winning campaign in a referendum, I think.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: johnny73[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]and based on that jonny73 who would win if the electorial reform with todays figures??

Lab
    Cons
    LIB[/quote]

Depends on how far reaching the reforms go.[/quote]

http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/ has a lot of detail about electoral reform options. In general though electoral reform benefits smaller parties.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: IA[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: johnny73[/cite]If the Lib Dems are smart they will only demand one thing from Conservatives or Labour - immediate electoral reform through a public referendum. It's the only way they can convert their votes to seats. Cameron's party will not let him offer anything more than a cross party discussion of this issue. So can't see a deal between Conservatives or Lib Dems. Labour have already publically offered a referendum to the Lib Dems. So over the next couple of days I would expect a deal to be made between the Lib Dems, Labour, SNP etc. This coalition would hold until the referendum took place. Once the new electoral legislation was passed into law the coalition would collapse and another election would take place.[/quote]

First off, I don't think Cameron was ever going to offer PR immediately in a statement on TV. He may budge in negotiations, he may not. He'll have to budge on something, and PR seems the easiest of them all.

I have no idea how that referendum would go if the Conservatives were in opposition. I'd expect them to campaign on it as a referendum on the last 13 years of Labour and say that PR would guarantee 100 more years of Labour incompetence in government etc etc. Not saying any of this is true (in fact, I think very little of it is true), but that's a winning campaign in a referendum, I think.[/quote]

You're right they are at the beginning of negotiations and are not going to give much away immediately. However the Conservatives are also rumoured to be suffering major internal splits on the pr issue. Cameron would not have the support of his party on this issue. For the Conservatives it doesn't make much sense to go for PR. Personally I think if we held another election tomorrow I'm pretty sure the Conservatives would win an outright majority.

But i do have to admit my head is starting to hurt at all the permutations.
  • Options
    cheers
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnny73[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]

I have no idea how that referendum would go if the Conservatives were in opposition. I'd expect them to campaign on it as a referendum on the last 13 years of Labour and say that PR would guarantee 100 more years of Labour incompetence in government etc etc. Not saying any of this is true (in fact, I think very little of it is true), but that's a winning campaign in a referendum, I think.

You're right they are at the beginning of negotiations and are not going to give much away immediately. However the Conservatives are also rumoured to be suffering major internal splits on the pr issue. Cameron would not have the support of his party on this issue. For the Conservatives it doesn't make much sense to go for PR. Personally I think if we held another election tomorrow I'm pretty sure the Conservatives would win an outright majority.

But i do have to admit my head is starting to hurt at all the permutations.

As far as I understand the news coverage, the Conservatives only have to offer a referendum on PR. They can stay neutral on the referendum or even campaign against it if they want.

As I said already, David Cameron wants to be a world leader. That requires negotiation and compromise. If he and his party refuse to do that, then he doesn't deserve to be Prime Minister and his party are the wrong option for the UK.

Can someone please explain why it needs a referendum to change the voting system?

Johnny, can you please tick 'BBCode' underneath your comment before you click 'Add your comments'. Makes it come out all nice in a quote box.

I like the STV option in your above link very much. That's what I'd like to see.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]

According to the BBC News page, all results are in except 2:

Conservatives: 305
    Labour: 258
    Lib-Dem: 57

I know you posted 50 mins ago, Daggs ....... but you must have been quoting much earlier figures?

Tories have 47 more seats than the nearest challenger, not 104.
    That's less than half what you're claiming.
  • Options
    I think he was talking about results in England
  • Options
    Daggs was quoting English seats only not UK wide.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    come on oggster get with the programme man ;-)

even me the voting numpty got that bit
  • Options
    Seats in England so far:

Conservative: 296
    Labour: 191
    Lib-Dem: 43
    Green: 1

I still disagree with an English assembly. Regional, yes. England, no.
  • Options
    he wont be in... conservative-lib dem coalition in the wings
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]I think he was talking about results in England

Ah, right.

[cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]come on oggster get with the programme man ;-)

even me the voting numpty got that bit

That's what you get with dipping in with only a 5 minute scan of the thread, while stopping for a tea break, NLA ...... I just haven't had the time today to follow the thread properly.