Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Election woes

edited May 2010 in Not Sports Related
Thats it. I'm off. The place has finally hit the depths I never felt possible. I'm ashamed that so many people could happily vote for the worst PM in living memory. I'm ashamed the our constitution allows a party and PM to still be in situ with such a low vote. I'm gobsmacked that a man who was not elected in the first place, by no means has been elected now can still possibly remain as the person leading our country. Today is the day the Great has been lost from Great Britain.

Never in my lifetime have I had one thought of leaving this country and living elsewhere but that is how I feel now.

Comments

• Options
    I hear Greece is a nice place to live. Same will soon go for Italy and Spain.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite] I'm gobsmacked that a man who was not elected in the first place, by no means has been elected now can still possibly remain as the person leading our country.

That for me is the most important thing. How can he still be in charge?!
  • Options
    It's time for electoral reform. No representation without taxation.
  • Options
    arrivederci
  • Options
    mange tout rodney
  • Options
    if the conservatives had won outright you could have said goodbye to electoral reform. A hung parliament with a coalition gives it a chance. perfect outcome. the big winner - none of the above. I'm delighted. Reform. Reform. Reform.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnny73[/cite]if the conservatives had won outright you could have said goodbye to electoral reform. A hung parliament with a coalition gives it a chance. perfect outcome. the big winner - none of the above. I'm delighted. Reform. Reform. Reform.

Couldn't agree more, we need electoral reform, pleased by the outcome.
  • Options
    we live in a parliamentary democracy not a presidential one - anyone who can muster the support of enough elected MPs has the right to form a government .... whether it be Gordon Brown, David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Alan Jonhson, George Osbourne, Alex Salmond or Caroline Lucas.
  • Options
    Tricky one, the party with the most MPs has to govern the country, but reform is needed. If you look at the votes to seats ratio it's not great viewing for a lib dem supporter.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnny73[/cite]if the conservatives had won outright you could have said goodbye to electoral reform. A hung parliament with a coalition gives it a chance. perfect outcome. the big winner - none of the above. I'm delighted. Reform. Reform. Reform.

how can you honestly believe that it is right that a party who has won more seats had over 2 million more votes in favour of them over the closest next party not be a reflection of the what the country wants.

I dont understand how this can happen and i dont really give two hoots about politics.

What you are saying is that it is right that Labour potentially can stay in even though it has lost over 80 mp's

please dont just say things like that when people clearly dont understand the alternitives, explain why it is such a good thing and try to help those that dont have the political nous as those that do
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Tricky one, the party with the most MPs has to govern the country, but reform is needed. If you look at the votes to seats ratio it's not great viewing for a lib dem supporter.

Almost 6.5 million votes and they've only got 51 seats. Definitely needs to be looked at.
  • Options
    a coalition that includes the tories sounds the fairest to me,cameron will be off soon enough if he couldnt win outright,shocking
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]

how can you honestly believe that it is right that a party who has won more seats had over 2 million more votes in favour of them over the closest next party not be a reflection of the what the country wants.

I dont understand how this can happen and i dont really give two hoots about politics.

What you are saying is that it is right that Labour potentially can stay in even though it has lost over 80 mp's

please dont just say things like that when people clearly dont understand the alternitives, explain why it is such a good thing and try to help those that dont have the political nous as those that do

The way I see it is that current system throws up situations like today. In every general election the proportion of votes cast has not even been close to the number of seats won.

Down the years both Labour and Conservative have won a majority of seats on a minority of votes.

Cameron has the most seats but only 37% of people voted for him. Which means nearly two thirds didn't vote for him. Brown could remain PM with only a quarter of the people voting for him.

Both seem wrong to me and others hence people welcome a bad situation as it will force the system to be reformed. What some people want, IMHO, from reform is where 37% of the vote means you have 37% of the seats. That seems fair and means your vote counts no matter where you live.

However this being politics the compromise may not be what anyone actually wants but a mish-mash.
  • Options
    But approx 67% of the country voted AGAINST the Tories.

And remember you are voting for party policies not the personality of one man!!
  • Options
    Henners cheers for that

now another bit of help if someone had 37% of the seats and Labour on current figures 29% of the seats would it mean that DC would under the Reformed way still be PM due to having the most % of seats?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]But approx 67% of the country voted AGAINST the Tories.

And remember you are voting for party policies not the personality of one man!!

True, but this election was fought very on personality.
  • Options
    Also looking at the map on Sky it is so Blue it is unreal so if that many areas wants conservitive as the leading government how can that not be a representaion of the country, the only Red bit is Scotland and they have their own parliment and government dont they?

why is it so confusing
  • Options
    Didn't vote for Cameron, but given the results it would be ridiculous for him to not to have control of any new government.
  • Options
    ScoSco
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Also looking at the map on Sky it is so Blue it is unreal so if that many areas wants conservitive as the leading government how can that not be a representaion of the country, the only Red bit is Scotland and they have their own parliment and government dont they?

why is it so confusing

Click on the proportional button to see a more valid reflection - a rural constituency (often Tory) is generally geographically larger than an urban one (often Labour).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/results/
  • Options
    It does worry me that people are please with the hung parliament or a coalition because of electoral reforms which I totally understand but the emphasis has to be on fiscal responsbility and management not tomorrow or next week but now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PR will be disasterous for this country. The current system is completely unfair both in relation to overall vote and regional disparities but it at least allows for dramatic shifts in power needed for decisive government, vital in a crisis. I can see an argument for a PR second chamber as a counterbalance to the commons but not for the main chamber.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]What some people want, IMHO, from reform is where 37% of the vote means you have 37% of the seats. That seems fair and means your vote counts no matter where you live.
    But how to you deter which MP represents your constituency?
  • Options
    So does this mean we are gonna have to do all this again later in the year?...FFS...ive had enough..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]It does worry me that people are please with the hung parliament or a coalition because of electoral reforms which I totally understand but the emphasis has to be on fiscal responsbility and management not tomorrow or next week but now.

Agreed, but a hung parliament might force a few compromises through which could improve the political system or at least aim to make it more representative.

If the Tories won an absolute majority why would they want to tinker around with a system that might deny them power at the next election?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Sco[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Also looking at the map on Sky it is so Blue it is unreal so if that many areas wants conservitive as the leading government how can that not be a representaion of the country, the only Red bit is Scotland and they have their own parliment and government dont they?

why is it so confusing

Click on the proportional button to see a more valid reflection - a rural constituency (often Tory) is generally geographically larger than an urban one (often Labour).

will do

but how comes the Scottish seats gained have stopped a majority yet they have 2 parliments and England has 1 i really dont bloody get it and once again i now dont see the point in voting, should we only have 2 parties then you wont have the problem stated that 67% of the country doesnt want torries, yet 71% dont want Labour, and 77% dont want Lib dems so there is never going to be an agreement

something needs to change and something needs to be sorted

can i just agree with Brunello there has to be a better way to change or reform voting other than put the country in such a precarious postion finacially it think thats what he said ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]It does worry me that people are please with the hung parliament or a coalition because of electoral reforms which I totally understand but the emphasis has to be on fiscal responsbility and management not tomorrow or next week but now.

Agreed, but a hung parliament might force a few compromises through which could improve the political system or at least aim to make it more representative.

If the Tories won an absolute majority why would they want to tinker around with a system that might deny them power at the next election?

Totally agree but we cannot have a period in limbo that lasts too long. The Tories running a minority government in return for Lib Dem support and an agreement on electoral reform seems, whilst not ideal, the best quick fix at present.
  • Options
    clegg has just issued statement that party with most seats should govern.........until we have another election in a year which looks likely
  • Options
    What this election says to me is that the nation doesn't clearly trust any of the options to run the country. Hence a hung parliament - there's your representation.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]clegg has just issued statement that party with most seats should govern.........until we have another election in a year which looks likely

and doesnt that seem like the fair and right thing to do surely it must
  • Options
    I would let Scotland run Scotland, give them no subsidies and watch them fall apart - if you removed Scotland and Wales from the votes, the Tories would have a majority in England and the rest can go f*ck 'emselves because HOWEVER BAD IT GETS, they are unable to vote anything but Labour, SNP, Plaid Cymru - the mind boggles!