Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Little Hitlers!

edited May 2010 in General Charlton
Nipped home from work for a quick bite and found a letter from the Council in the box. It seems they are upset about my flying a (Charlton) flag in my back garden as it "could distract drivers on the A217 and it also obscures a directional road sign". The flag only flies on matchdays and Sundays and I can't believe it does either of the things they state (Dazzler and Creepyaddick pass it most so perhaps they'd like to say if it is 'Dangerous') but I can see yet another battle with Authority looming and time being wasted on this. The flag has been flown for some 4-5 years now so it's taken long enough for them to spot it! Gotta get back to work now but will try to work out how to post a photo this evening.

Comments

edited May 2010
    Its like anything if you enjoy people will want to stop you doing it your not allowed to have fun anymore.
  • haha, who complained do you reckon? a Millwall fan in your area?

That is funny.
  • edited May 2010
    To be fair if you're that stupid that when driving along you can't keep your eyes (largely) on the road ahead then you should hand over your keys! Do they think drivers are magpies or something?

Haven't they got anything better to do?! Sounds pathetic to me.
  • March, you don't live by Hartswood do you? When I was at the Grammar, I swear we used to see a Charlton flag on a flag pole outside a house by Hartswood.
  • Put up a Union Jack instead and see if they complain about that.
  • Welcome to modern Britain
  • No wonder there's so many accidents in F1, all those flags flying about.
  • They should ban roadside advertising hoardings in that case............
  • I hope its the same one that used to get passed around the stadium before games.
    Dunno wot all the fuss is abhart!
  • Ignore it. Keep the flag flying. I salute you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Actually, take it down.

Buy a BIGGER ONE!
  • edited May 2010
    If you put a Union Jack up I bet you it would be deemed racist...
  • The problem here is nobody us making any money.
    I contrast your situation with those big billboards that are actually designed to catch motorists attention.
    Locally there are the big adverts by the side of Woolwich rd and the ones on the right as you approach the Blackwall Tunnel.
    If those complaining really wanted to stop motorists having their attention grabbed I think the adverts are the place to start.
    If we are trusted to drive past things designed to catch our eye, I'm pretty sure we should also be trusted to drive past a flapping flag.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]Put up a Union Jack instead and see if they complain about that.[/quote]

Nothing more certain!!

I say toilet duck 'em. BALLS TO THE COUNCIL
  • I've never deemed it either a distraction or an offense Fly it high and proud it gives me a little lift everytime I see it!
  • We got pulled by the Police on our way to 'Operation Ewood', our mini-bus had a Charlton flag on the back window and was deemed to be 'offensive'.
  • So much for a 'land of the free' as we commemorate VE day......on the 8th May.
    My parents/Grandparents would have been so disheartned having served there country and worked for Greenwich council most of there lives.
    If my memory is correct my grandfather would have been in charge of this department at the council, being the Superintedent of Greenwich for buildings and monuments.
    This is the nonsense of the 'state' that George Orwell detested.
    With pollution, noise and traffic chaos on the roads of Greenwich, lets ban a football flag because someone is enjoying themselves!
  • edited May 2010
    Totally agree Ken. If ever there was reason for the question "don't they have better things to do?" -this is it.
  • easy this one -----------fly a Somali flag under the Charlton 1. that should keep em out the way.
  • Why don't you put some posters up on the A217 telling drivers not to look at your flag...?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2010
    Thanks for the thoughts folks,this can raise feelings I hadn't really considered and the flag will fly on VE day and on each of the play off days,whenever they are! March jnr. can write a real mean caustic letter and he's working on one right now for the Council's consideration. I'm sorry there's no photo yet: the camera battery has expired, but hopefully in the morning.....

Curb_it, it's mainly Chelski and Nigels out here Bren, very few of whom actually attend any matches but my money's on a Palarse type.

EGAddick: about 1/2 mile down the road from Hartswood, towards Gatwick on the right.

Mister W: I'll have a word with Mrs M on this but er, I don't expect a helpful reply, mind you after a couple of scotches and in a favourable light, you never know.
  • edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]

Curb_it, it's mainly Chelski and Nigels out here Bren, very few of whom actually attend any matches but my money's on a Palarse type.

Just like my part of Surrey- festooned with shellsuited chavs in Chelsea shirts who can be found clogging up the high st stores and Bingo halls of the area on any given day or night when their (alleged) Bridge idols are playing at home.
    These were the same "individuals" who supported Man U in the 90's! "I support the winning team innit bruv"
  • Dear Council

Thank you for your letter which has received my careful attention.

You have certainly raised a number of issues which ought to be addressed immediately. The small flag waving in the breeze in my back garden may indeed be a distraction to drivers on the A217 and, as you state, may obscure a road sign.

But how would you know? Have you driven down the A217 and seen the flag? If so, were you driving with due care and attention? I put it to you that either (a) the flag is, in fact not a distraction (witness the fact that your journey - if indeed you did make that journey - was completed without mishap) or (b) you distracted yourself by looking out for the flag when, instead, you should have been driving.

So we have a dichotomy. Either you are wasting my time by complaining about my flag in the full knowledge that it is not a distraction. Or you have been driving dangerously and carelessly past my home, not concentrating on the road and peering about, looking for flags.

You are either a nuisance or a danger. In either case, please go away.

Yours sincerely

March51
  • edited May 2010
    Ahaha. That response is genius.
  • Put a bigger one up saying 'keep your eyes on the road' and see if they complain then...
  • I thought I was good at writing sarky letters, but that one is just brilliant. Kudos to March Jr on a job well done.
  • Did you know that you have to apply for planning permission to have a flag pole...it's true....not that I'm supporting your local council in this instance of course.
    However had it have been a Spanners flag, that would of course been an entirely different matter.
  • edited May 2010
    Soundas, it's actually a 'mobile' pole in sections: would I have to get planning permission each time I move it around? That would keep them on their toes! Anyway I hope the photo prints out, I'm not much cop at this IT lark.
  • edited May 2010
    Bloody hell, nearly got it right!! Sorry if you all have to turn your screens on their sides. Alternatively I could say it was taken by someone as their car slid on it's side along the road, the driver having been distracted by the flag.
  • I can see what they mean about obstructing the road sign....terrible state of affairs! ;o)