Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Randolph or Elliott

2»

Comments

• Not a great deal in it for me, but I like a good shot-stopper and I think Randy has the edge in that department. He needs to work a bit on his distribution though. Elliot looks to have put a bit of timber back on to me and I do wonder of he's going to be one of those players who constantly struggles with his weight.

Nice to have two players who could both make a good fist of being first choice though.
  • Despite, what a few may say Richard Murray, is no fool & now he has seen Randolph performing so well in the first team, I would be amazed if he doesn't do his utmost to keep him.
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Despite, what a few may say Richard Murray, is no fool & now he has seen Randolph performing so well in the first team, I would be amazed if he doesn't do his utmost to keep him.

Beats letting him walk away for nothing.
  • Both players need 1st team football at this level, so I would expect one of themto go either during the summer or at January.
  • Randolph in my opinion has and is the best keeper at the club and has been since we got relegated frrom the prem, his fitness was lacking and he was prone to the odd clanger however what keeper isnt he needed a real chance and a real run in the team as he had not been given that chance until Robbie got injured , if we lose Randolph it will be a huge mistake and i hope that those that can sort it so we dont

Randolph, Elliot and then the youth Keeper is all we need and would save the club money looking for a suitable replacement
  • It would've been a big gamble to play out the season without cover for Randolph.
    Glad to see him performing so consistently well, it has got to be good to have real competition in that spot now, bodes well for next season in if we can afford both and both are happy to fight for their place and take their opportunities when they come.
  • Randolph has always been good, Leeds must hate him as supposedly he had a blinding game against them when at Hereford.
  • Robbie. Simples
  • You're all missing what is potentially the most important, imminent question:

Which one is the better penalty-stopper? ;-)
  • Sasa let in six successive penalties in a game and we still won!
  • Sponsored links:

• Be hard to drop Randolph for the next game.....after the Leeds performance!
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Sasa let in six successive penalties in a game and we still won!

Yes, and he didn't really get near any of them, either! Then up stepped Micky Gray...
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Sasa let in six successive penalties in a game and we still won!

Yes, and he didn't really get near any of them, either! Then up stepped Micky Gray...

He nearly saved Chris Makin's - got a hand to it but not quite firm enough.

Randolph has got to keep the shirt for the time being. Robbie hasn't made many clangers for us, but the number of long range goals we've conceded this season seems to stick out to me. Maybe I'm not giving enough credit to the opposition players though.
  • edited May 2010
    They both do the Chrissy Powell victory salute :-)
    Is that the first time Dazzer has done it?

By the way, does anyone know how they get on together? Always a tricky one with keepers, resentment is common.
  • Randy's gonna be the better goalkeeper i'm afraid, not saying robbie isnt good, far from it and had been good at the beginning of the season but randy's done excellent and that save on Saturday is one the best i've ever seen, made it even better that it was in injury time.
    I've got a bad feeling though that Randy will be off in the summer and will flourish elsewhere.
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]They both do the Chrissy Powell victory salute :-)

By the way, does anyone know how they get on together? Always a tricky one with keepers, resentment is common.

Second time I've seen Dazzer do it.

They are very good mates by all accounts
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]They are very good mates by all accounts
    They are, often mentioned on the OS or in the programmes over the years.
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]They both do the Chrissy Powell victory salute :-)

Had chance at the POTY event to chat with Robbie about this ( but had to admire his neckwear first!). He said that he and Darren were friends off the pitch, but as Darren was playing so well at the moment it would be very unfair to replace him and that it was what was best for the team that counted. Darren had been getting the games whilst he had been out injured, and regular games and continuity were very important for keepers. Robbie said that obviously he found it a bit hard/frustrating personally because it was an injury that had led to his not being able to play, but I didn't detect the the slightest hint of resentment or PR speak.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]They are very good mates by all accounts
    They are, often mentioned on the OS or in the programmes over the years.

They were having a good laugh and a joke with each other in the warm up at Exeter, seemed to be in more than a workmate kind of way, more like two guys who get on well and happen to work together.

Randy was pissing himself when Robbie let one squirm underneath him - mind you, easy to laugh at that when it means you get to keep the shirt rather than seeing it happen and still know you ain't gonna get a chance.
  • SIX weeks ago Darren Randolph feared his Charlton career was over as he faced an uncertain future.

Made available for transfer in January, the Addicks keeper had been overlooked when Rob Elliot got injured in October, suggesting he was unwanted at The Valley.

Carl Ikeme came in on loan from Wolves and played every league game until Elliot recovered. That appeared to be that for Randolph, who is out of contract in the summer.

But things have turned around dramatically for the academy product.

Elliot picked up his second injury of the campaign in the 2-2 home draw against Gillingham on March 20, with Randolph coming on at half-time to replace him.

And the 22-year-old hasn’t looked back since, making eight appearances, keeping four clean sheets and conceding only four goals in 765 minutes of play.

“It’s strange for me because in January things were totally different to the way they are now,” said Randolph.

“I was told I could leave so I was looking for a way out. But a move didn’t get sorted in time so I thought to myself that while I was here I would redouble my efforts and give it everything I could.

“I got my chance eight games ago and I’ve been lucky enough to keep hold of my place since then.

“I had it in my head that if I got into the team and did well then the manager couldn’t really take me out again.

“I’ve always been quite confident that I should have been playing anyway. Now I’m determined to keep the shirt and to prove to people that that belief I’ve had in myself has been right all along.”

For the full story and all the latest Charlton news, see Friday's South London Press.
  • Sponsored links:

• as much as i love robbie, all the time dazzas keeping clean sheets its gotta be him...
  • If we do not go up, we won't keep Randolph and if Robbie will be for sale. May be stuck with Tony Warner!
  • Also Randolph has to play in play offs, especially v Milwall.

Milwall would love to see Robbie back in goal and start singing '8 goals went past Robbie etc'
  • Randolph.