Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Randolph or Elliott

edited May 2010 in General Charlton
Who do you think should be our number 1 next season if promoted or not ?
Robbie was class at the start of the season but then i think he form started to decline and he hasn't really looked the same since. Randolph on the other hand i think has been superb and has grabbed the number 1 slot with both hands, looks a much improved keeper from what i had previously seen of him and that save yesterday was world class

So what'd you think ?

Comments

• not sure tough call .....
  • I feel a lttle uncomfortable about this thread at such an important time....they are both very good keepers...I'm going to leave it at that.
  • Randy is out of contract this summer so wouldn't be surprised to see him in pastures new next season

shame - he's eclipsing Robbie IMO
  • I wouldn't be surprised to see Randolph stay.
  • randolph has moved into another league
  • Not sure why but I have never been totally convinced by Rob. Not seen Randy as much but what I have seen makes me believe he deserves to keep the shirt until he does something that deserves him being dropped. Fabulous save yesterday and great positioning and alertness after Sodjes cock up early on.
  • While Randolph fails to often catch the ball, instead opting to punch it, he commands his area so much better than Robbie. Catching a ball is something you can work on however commanding your box isnt it. Randolph is naturally a much better goalie than Robbie Elliott.
  • Havent seen the highlights yet but that save he pulled off looked absolutely world class from the covered end.
  • It certainly was Rodney, right at him but reflexes+strong hands= absolutely blinding save!
  • My phrase of the moment:

People have got short memories.

Elliot has played 60 odd games and performed very well in nearly all of them. Randolph has played about 10 games and performed well in 8 of them.

Randolph made two match winning saves yesterday, one top drawer, and rightly deserves to be praised but don't lets do it by decrying Elliot whom has also performed excellently for us.

They are both excellent shot stoppers, courageous with one on ones and both slightly shaky at times from crosses. Distributionwise I'd say they were equal with the kicking but Robbie's all too rarely used long throw probably just gives him the edge.

However in my view Darren has not yet played enough for a fair comparison to be made. Suffice to say that I hope we can retain both of them as a good keeper is essential and Robbie does seem a bit injury prone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good post Len. Generally agree.

For me Elliot has been reliable in most games with some great games along the way. Randolph I think is a slightly better shot stopper, some of the saves he makes I do wonder if Elliot wouldn't have made them. Not just recently but the odd games he's had over the last few years.

Not much between them at the moment but if Randolph stays he might prove to be the better keeper.
  • Very similar keepers imho, the mistake Randolph made v Colchester in the last seconds was very similar to some of Elliots fumbles. Both are amongst the best in our league.

Neverthless both are fine shot stoppers, both try to take command of thier area (albeit not always successfully) and have decent distribution. My one complaint re Darren is that sometimes he can be a little slow to release the ball whereas Robbie is usually very quick to release the ball.

Both are assets and worth keeping, lets not forget both have barely reached 100 league games and are young for keepers. If keepers reach their peak in late 20's, we could have two keepers with bags of abilty and potential to play at a higher level. When Shay Given retires from internationals, Randolph could even have a shot at being a regular in the Ireland set up (not necessarily number 1/2 but in the squads), especially as he has played all the way up to u21s.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]My phrase of the moment:

Elliot has played 60 odd games and performed very well in nearly all of them. Randolph has played about 10 games and performed well in 8 of them.

Randolph made two match winning saves yesterday, one top drawer, and rightly deserves to be praised but don't lets do it by decrying Elliot whom has also performed excellently for us.

They are both excellent shot stoppers, courageous with one on ones and both slightly shaky at times from crosses. Distributionwise I'd say they were equal with the kicking but Robbie's all too rarely used long throw probably just gives him the edge.

However in my view Darren has not yet played enough for a fair comparison to be made. Suffice to say that I hope we can retain both of them as a good keeper is essential and Robbie does seem a bit injury prone.[/quote]

Can't argue with any of that.
  • They are both quality goalkeepers and we are very lucky to have the choice. Would have said Elliot before yesterday but I honesty can't decide now.
  • Randolph by far the better keeper for me.
  • I've always thought Randolph was the better keeper but has been prone to the odd lapse of concentration/mistake, like chucking the ball in his goal for us and other times when he was loan, but he seems to have eradicated that from his game during this spell in the team.

Keep Randolph and start him until he's injured/has a severe drop of form but if he can't agree a new contract then I'm still happy with Robbo.
  • I often find we concede soft goals with Robbie. He's a big unit but seems to get beaten by some really sloppy strikes

Randy needs more games for a fair comparison but so far he has been excellent
  • I just think our back 4 look so much more comfortable with Randy in there. Now im not saying thats Robbies fault, but maybe Sodje and the curly haired legend feel more comfortable with Rands behind them. I for one am more than happy to see Dazza continue in goal.....has waited a long time for his chance and unlike his usual punch, he grasped it with two hands!!!
  • I agree with Len. I don't think there is very much between them at all and whilst performing as he has done Randolph deserves to keep the shirt. Problem as I see it is being able to keep two good young keepers happy. Parky was prepared to let Randolph go last summer and again in January and he has certainly put himself in the shop window. His performances do seem to make the decision to bring in Carl Ikeme earlier in the season a complete joke which most of us said at the time. Also, how much are we paying Warner I wonder, another unnecessary signing.
  • Darrens a great shot stopper but not a great all round goal keeper.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Also, how much are we paying Warner I wonder, another unnecessary signing.

Wouldn't had been unnecessary if Randolph had gotten injured or sent off though.
  • [cite]Posted By: GNelson[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Also, how much are we paying Warner I wonder, another unnecessary signing.

Wouldn't had been unnecessary if Randolph had gotten injured or sent off though.

who else has been unnecessary then?

Every loanee has played a part this season so far
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]My phrase of the moment:

However in my view Darren has not yet played enough for a fair comparison to be made. Suffice to say that I hope we can retain both of them as a good keeper is essential and Robbie does seem a bit injury prone.

Agree with this. What I would add is that you have to go with current form and Randy is playing very, very well at the moment. Due to that I don't think you can drop him at the moment. If it aint broke don't try and fix it and all that.
  • Since taking over at h/t v the Gills, Randolph has, I believe, conceded four goals in 765 mins of football.

Of course, that's also a tribute to some sterling work by the back four and I haven't totalled up how many shots there were on target in that 765 mins.

But it's a damned impressive statistic - and one that surely does not lie.
  • [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Since taking over at h/t v the Gills, Randolph has, I believe, conceded four goals in 765 mins of football.

Of course, that's also a tribute to some sterling work by the back four and I haven't totalled up how many shots there were on target in that 765 mins.

But it's a damned impressive statistic - and one that surely does not lie.

I agree, it seems we are not conceding as many goals with Randolph between the sticks as we did with Elliot. Yet, it is still the same defence so perhaps he does command his area more than Elliot.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I agree with Len. I don't think there is very much between them at all and whilst performing as he has done Randolph deserves to keep the shirt. Problem as I see it is being able to keep two good young keepers happy. Parky was prepared to let Randolph go last summer and again in January and he has certainly put himself in the shop window. His performances do seem to make the decision to bring in Carl Ikeme earlier in the season a complete joke which most of us said at the time. Also, how much are we paying Warner I wonder, another unnecessary signing.
    Agree keeping them both happy will be the problem. At least Elliot is under contract. Now Randolph is playing hopefully he'll stay and they can fight for the place next season.

Warner unnecessary though? As said imagine if Randolph had got injured, we'd have an 18 year old we're going to release this summer in Binks or a couple of 16/17 year olds. It also means we have a third keeper if we get another injury before/in the playoffs.
  • edited May 2010
    When Warner came in Elliot was injured and the prognosis was uncertain. Look at Youga for example.

Would we really have wanted to have just Randolph and any of Binks (deemed not good enough to stay yet above the other two in the pecking order at the moment) Gough or Hall from the Academy?

I think not. Warner was a decent signing in the circumstances. The fact Robbie recovered quicker than expected is not down to Parky or anybody else.

If Randolph does go at the end of the season, given that he is out of contract, we could yet be grateful to have Warner.
  • They both have strengths and weaknesses. However in my opinion Randolph is the better keeper.. Elliot concedes to many goals from outside the area, and is also slow in getting down, whereas Randolph seems to control the penalty area far better and is an excellent shop stopper.
  • They are both good, still-young keepers that could continue to improve. Hopefully Charlton can keep both of them.

Randolph, with his Ireland youth national team experience, was considered the better prospect.
    But Elliot got the first real opportunity to play, and he did well.
    Randolph is also making the most of his current chance.

How many positions are we spoilt for choice?
  • Having seen almost every League 1 keeper this season, some more than once, there are only 2 or three keepers I would rate above our two (Davis, Forster and maybe Smithies and Forde), there are also some keepers who have looked pony- Willy Gueret step forward. We are very lucky to have the dilemma and it would be good if we could keep them both. Randolph is more likely to go as he is out of contract regardless of what league we will be in, it is one of Parky's better problems.