Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Large Addick's "lack of a decent manager".....

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]rest reid bailey dailly burton forster semedo and randolph for saturday i say

Randolph can play, Elliot will be back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I'm wondering though why Parky persueded Jonjo to stay and then failed to utilise him enough. If Jonjo had gone to Chelsea perhaps some funds would have been freed up to sign a decent striker, I mean 250k would probably have been enough to sign Barnard even last summer.

Ah, the benefit of hindsight, Large.

But you are forgetting that the club was in a state of total flux last summer, with the projected takover taking precedence and affecting all financial issues.

Secondly, even if Jonjo had been sold to Chelsea last summer - it would have been highly unlikely £3 million up front or even £3 million in total (after all the add ons); there's often a big difference from newspaper gossip and reality.

With the above in mind, there still may have been no funds available or consent given for incoming transfers.

I agree with you that we've been needing a quality finisher at the club. But last summer, Barnard was Southend's golden boy and they weren't looking to sell. But even if they were, I doubt if any club would have got change out of £500k at that time.
    It was only their financial collapse in January that dictated a fire sale - and Barnard snapped up for a bargain £300k.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Uncle also confirmed the other day Jonjo turned down Chelsea. Get the feeling he only wants to leave us for West Ham or Liverpool. I think it was Jonjo's choice rather than just Parky telling him go stay.
  • Options
    Well if you aim low, you should not be surprised if you reach your target.......
    The play offs was at least the mininum, not the bench mark to a good season!
    Least we forget, the lowlights of the season of the FA cup and Millwall...... have there been many highlight's!

As others have posted too many 'journeymen at the club', and of course for the want of a fit striker.

It really will be a good test this week to see how we respond against Leeds, and how we play as a team, and the team selection and subs.
    So to me, if we get promoted Parky stay's, if we do not he goes.
    Chris Powell get your C/V ready to email........
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Parky spent the first half of the season bemoaning the lack of a wide left player ......

It wasn't for the want of trying - he tried to sign Puncheon, Johnnie Jackson and Reid at various times during the summer, but was prevented in doing so by the Board. There may have been others.

[cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite] .....and yet when he has brought Reid in he elects not to play him half the time.

As has been pointed out time and time again recently, Reid is carrying an injury and hasn't trained fully for a month.
    Isn't it obvious that when Reid does play, he's not running at his full speed?

I saw him make quite an impact at Exeter on Saturday, but I can't remember him skinning his man - mostly he'd come up to the fullback and then look to pass. Same against Southampton.

Reid can be effective still - but he's not got anywhere near 90 minutes in him.
    Now you know why Parky "elects not to play him half the time".
  • Options
    Cant believe some people on here saying no such thing as a good manager??? eh whats the point in having them in that case

Mourinho, Fergie, Capello etc cant all be consistently winners if its down to luck, seriously luck maybe a slight factor but more about how they fit into the clubs is whether it works or not and how the players react whether they go with the manager but luck i'd say about 1% luck as its a result business and if they choose a club which will suit them and they are good then you will see the benefits
  • Options
    If Parky had signed Puncheon he'd probably be disillusioned and warming our bench right now. If i'm not mistaken he plays right wing for Southampton, so no doubt Parky would still prefer to play Lloyd Sam on the right.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]Mourinho, Fergie, Capello etc cant all be consistently winners if its down to luck ......

Good point, but ......... they are all very experienced managers; in fact both Fergie and Capello are in their mid-60s so there's not much that they've not seen in their time.

And they are good motivators with fearsome reputations, brash and arrogant.
    But they are the survivors - many others of their ilk who had their day in the sun are long gone, piled up on the scrap heap of subsequent failure.

Also, for them in assembling their teams, money has been no object. Spend £10 million on a player and he doesn't perform to expections - well you sell him on and buy another established international replacement for £15 mill or more. No problem.

Assembling a team with other peoples cast offs, non-league 'wildcard' gambles and loan players who can't get into their club's 1st team ...........Mourinho & co wouldn't know where to start!

So not a fair comparison to Parky, lol
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Chris Powell get your C/V ready to email........[/quote]

I love Chrissy Powell, I want him back at this club at some stage, but lets not jump from the frying pan into the fire, IF we lose parkinson, we do not want an un proven manager, we need someone who has been there, done it and got the t shirt. Chros Powell copming back to manage next season would see his legacy tarnished and I for one would hate that
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]As said it's a subjective matter.

Apart maybe from a few exceptions i don't think there is really any such thing as a good or bad manager. Factors like environment, luck, personal circumstances and many others have an influence. So trying to take the high ground and criticising others for having a previous opinion on managers who circumstances have then changed is meaningless.

All we can judge is is a manager good at that time, which to me means are they consistently getting the best out of the players he's got and do his signings benefit the squad.

I've never said Parky is a bad manager, i just don't believe he has consistantly got the best from the players he has at this club. Maybe he'd go to another club and he would do.

I agree with you there. I think it does come down to luck to a degree, what players you inherit, & obviously the funds available, if any.

In reply to AFKA's original post, I think Gannon left due to personal reasons, staying oop North with his family(new baby).
    He seemed to illicit a decent response from the Peterborough players, even though they couldn't sustain an escape.
    Though I think this comes down to the ability of the players at his disposal, & the jump from the 4th tier to 2nd in consecutive years, the quality gap, & lack of funds to strengthen.

I think Coyle has done the job that Bolton would've wanted, staying up. They were below Burnley at the time he jumped ship, & in these fickle times of quickfire decisions, they seem to have made the right one & Burnley not.
    I think he will build the team he truly wants, through the summer, funds permitting & do quite a decent job.
    Though he could fall flat on his arse! Lots of so-called promising managers have come unstuck.

Tony Pulis is a manager that has had his ups & downs. A few early successes & a mid-period slump & now doing exceptionally well with Stoke.(Probably the closest equivalent club to us, when we were in the top flight-budget-wise).

Roy Hodgsons English time seemed dead in the water after his poor 2nd year at Blackburn, but his stock has risen.

At the end of the day though, whatever managers go through, it has to give them greater knowledge & experience. It's how they then re-apply that knowledge to their next job, & learn from any mistakes.

Great post AFKA! Certainly gets you thinking!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Well if you aim low, you should not be surprised if you reach your target

exactly .... the apologists have always been championing the cause as we've fallen down the leagues ....
    we will finish this season in our 3rd lowest finshing postion for 70 odd years 3 years after mixing it in the top flight and we're supposed to be grateful and happy with our lot
  • Options
    David Jones at Cardiff is what I call a good manager.

It is a shame unfounded off-pitch allegations have blighted his career.
  • Options
    I always felt Dave Penney did a good job at Doncaster bringing them up through the leagues and consolidated them in league one, and he's not done badly at Oldham this season so he'd certainly know the division. Pretty sure he'd leave Oldham to manage us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]Mourinho, Fergie, Capello etc cant all be consistently winners if its down to luck ......

Good point, but ......... they are all very experienced managers; in fact both Fergie and Capello are in their mid-60s so there's not much that they've not seen in their time.

But they are the survivors - many others of their ilk who had their day in the sun are long gone, piled up on the scrap heap of subsequent failure.

Also, for them in assembling their teams, money has been no object. Spend £10 million on a player and he doesn't perform to expections - well you sell him on and buy another established international replacement for £15 mill or more. No problem.

Assembling a team with other peoples cast offs, non-league 'wildcard' gambles and loan players who can't get into their club's 1st team ...........Mourinho & co wouldn't know where to start!

Norwich with Gunn. Norwich with Lambert. That's all you need to know about how replacing a lame duck with a good manager (not a super experienced big beast of the sport) can make a difference to one of the bigger teams in this league. It's not some abstract example of what happened in another country, or in the 70s or with a massive pot of cash. If you don't want to accept that there's no point really having any debate.
  • Options

Not really, but a few people were saying about luck so was just pointing out the main managers. Fegie i maybe mistaken but he didn't start with Money? Mourinho Porto, not quite a shoe-string but still tight and no money, as for capello dont really know his history tbh but im sure these 3 no matter how long it would have taken and how many teams they are at the top because they deserve it(as much as i hate fergie lol) same as old Arry he has got there and countless times has worked on nothing

Parky- i feel has done more then expected pre-season, still unsure whether he is good enough for us but for now in league 1 and with some decent signings for free and on loan he has shown he is capable in this league, whether he is good enough to take us up we will see. for now cant see who else could do the job and feel is something we constantly need to assess but generally end of season

See my previous point for more but at the momment cant shoot the manager as he is surpassing expectations pre, he has shown good and bad traits in a manager imo but for now he is the right man for the job! if we go up then thats another question, stay down i think he has showed enough to have a second crack
  • Options
    I know it's been said before, but I find it incredible that people are looking for Parky replacements in our position.

In 2 weeks or a month's time, we'll know if Parky has this season been good enough or not.

Let's all just get behind him for once?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I know it's been said before, but I find it incredible that people are looking for Parky replacements in our position.

In 2 weeks or a month's time, we'll know if Parky has this season been good enough or not.

I agree and have not stated otherwise at any point this season ;o) .....that i can remember at least
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I know it's been said before, but I find it incredible that people are looking for Parky replacements in our position.

so, if we are not promoted, will you see him as not having been good enough ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Well if you aim low, you should not be surprised if you reach your target

exactly .... the apologists have always been championing the cause as we've fallen down the leagues ....
    we will finish this season in our 3rd lowest finshing postion for 70 odd years 3 years after mixing it in the top flight and we're supposed to be grateful and happy with our lot
    Past means nothing, we are in League One, top two is a fantastic season, winning the play-offs is a good one. At the moment we're in the play-offs so have done ok and nothing more, if we win them it is a successful season. Without being able to bring in a 20+ goal a season striker, we can't be expecting to win automatic promotion.
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I love Chrissy Powell, I want him back at this club at some stage, but lets not jump from the frying pan into the fire, IF we lose parkinson, we do not want an un proven manager, we need someone who has been there, done it and got the t shirt. Chros Powell copming back to manage next season would see his legacy tarnished and I for one would hate that
    Agree about Powell. Wouldn't necessarily have to be an old, experienced manager, but someone that has had a decent amount of success at a high enough level. Powell (or Kinsella) is not what we need next season, even if we stay down. If we don't go up, it'll be too much of a big job to re-build the squad.
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]If Parky had signed Puncheon he'd probably be disillusioned and warming our bench right now. If i'm not mistaken he plays right wing for Southampton, so no doubt Parky would still prefer to play Lloyd Sam on the right.
    He's left footed though. As said Reid isn't 100% fit, that's the main reason he's not started as much as we'd like, rather than poor management and team selection.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

I will still not but i may consider alternatives for next year as our squad and budget get cut more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]

Not happy with our lot but accepting of circumstances beyond Parky's control.

One can argue about whose fault it is (Curbs according to most on here!) but the fact is we have been in danger of not having a team to support, rather like Palace.

Given that fact I am relatively happy to have exceeded expectations by having (an admittedly slim) chance of promotion.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have seen enough games last season and this season to make a judgement now irrespective if we win promotion. Also, I saw the humiliation at the Den in March. There is no way in a million years that Millwall had eleven better players on the pitch that day than we had. I blame Parky 100% for that totally inept performance. But I don't base my judgement solely on results. His teams seem to revert to route 1 football very quickly and apart from the game against Norwich ( which has to be the exception that proves the rule in my opinion) always come second best in terms of possession and passing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]
    Fegie i maybe mistaken but he didn't start with Money? Mourinho Porto, not quite a shoe-string but still tight and no money, as for capello dont really know his history tbh but im sure these 3 no matter how long it would have taken and how many teams they are at the top because they deserve it(as much as i hate fergie lol)

Not meaning to dig you out Johnny ......

Fergie, yep ..... as far as I'm aware, wasn't he first at St Mirren and Aberdeen, but were both then top flight clubs in Scotland?
    And Aberdeen certainly competed in Europe around that time and were the third rated club in Scotland just behind Celtic and Rangers. So not really lower league management.

Mourinho ...... well didn't he begin as interpreter to Bobby Robson at Sporting Club? And when incredibly Robson was sacked with Sporting top of the Portuguese League, Robson took over at Porto and made Mourinho his Assistant Manager.
    What an education, learning at the feet of a Master.

Porto, definitely not quite a shoe-string ......just the Manchester United of Portugal!
    So not really lower league managent!

Capello ....... in his first five seasons as a manager he won four Serie A titles with Milan. Follow that ......!!!
    So not really lower league management, either.

Sorry, Johnny.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]
    Fegie i maybe mistaken but he didn't start with Money? Mourinho Porto, not quite a shoe-string but still tight and no money, as for capello dont really know his history tbh but im sure these 3 no matter how long it would have taken and how many teams they are at the top because they deserve it(as much as i hate fergie lol)

Not meaning to dig you out Johnny ......

Fergie, yep ..... as far as I'm aware, wasn't he first at St Mirren and Aberdeen, but were both then top flight clubs in Scotland?
    And Aberdeen certainly competed in Europe around that time and were the third rated club in Scotland just behind Celtic and Rangers. So not really lower league management.

Mourinho ...... well didn't he begin as interpreter to Bobby Robson at Sporting Club? And when incredibly Robson was sacked with Sporting top of the Portuguese League, Robson took over at Porto and made Mourinho his Assistant Manager.
    What an education, learning at the feet of a Master.

Porto, definitely not quite a shoe-string ......just the Manchester United of Portugal!
    So not really lower league managent!

Capello ....... in his first five seasons as a manager he won four Serie A titles with Milan. Follow that ......!!!
    So not really lower league management, either.

Sorry, Johnny.

lol owned comes to mind, but im sure they have got there for a reason aka assistant to someone or maybe they managed far lower before they were known to the public. im sure someone couln'd just become assitant to sir bobby at barca? cant just be luck he must of learnt his trade elsewhere, Fergie doubt he got thrown straight into top league in scotland as that just dont happen, well it doesn't now so......

also dont worry i never take things personal, just opinions and having a nice discussion ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Wouldn't necessarily have to be an old, experienced manager, but someone that has had a decent amount of success at a high enough level.

I think that might be the way. We need to find a managerial rising star. It will be interesting to see how Graham Westley at Stevenage copes next season. I've no idea about his credentials but, for me, that's the kind of approach we need to start taking ... a risk/judgement call on someone with the potential to go a long way up the leagues.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]but the fact is we have been in danger of not having a team to support, rather like Palace.
    I think that's an important point. In our situation, regardless of our history, having a chance of promotion at this stage isn't an underachievement. It's not great but it certainly could have been worse, as many of us thought it might well have been.
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

End result won't be good enough as promotion was the aim, but like this time last year, it won't be quite as simple as "not promoted - sack him". Lets see how it turns out, there will be a difference between being thrashed by Millwall in the play-off semi finals or losing on penalties in the final.

At the same time if we are promoted, I hope everyone against him could accept he deserves some credit, a team cannot promote themselves from this league.

If he went and we could get someone like Adkins, Howe or O'Driscoll in then fine. If Parky going meant replacing him with Kinsella, Damian Matthew, Powell, or someone with a questionable record similar to Parky's I'd be worried. I'd still trust Parky to build a squad better in this league than a former player with no experience, or a manager with a mixed record that knows little about the club and players.

If we stay down and aren't taken over Parky could still be our best option, and I'm not suggesting that's a good thing or that I'd have loads of confidence in it being successful. It might just be all we can afford.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]also dont worry i never take things personal, just opinions and having a nice discussion ;o)

Yep, good discussion, Johnny ....... enjoyed it!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]also dont worry i never take things personal, just opinions and having a nice discussion ;o)

Yep, good discussion, Johnny ....... enjoyed it!

lol me too mate anytime :o)
  • Options
    Damien Matthews was my choice for manager for us this season, i honestly felt we had enough good youth and could get in enough experience to go alongside some of the older players from last year, to consolodate this season and then push on next

Although Parky has us in the playoffs i cant help but think he has failed to look at the bigger picture within the club and try to build on what wasa fanatstic youth team with great up and coming players, with the correct coaching and man mangement could have really saved us a few quid as well
  • Options
    What is Matthews role at the moment out of interest? Wasn't he given a different job at the begining of the season?