Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

successful or disappointing season

edited April 2010 in General Charlton
im trying to decide whether Charltons season will be disappointing or successful if we finish 5

Comments

• If we finish 5 what?

If we go up it'll be successful, if we don't then it'll be disappointing. Simples.
  • Successfully disappointing.
  • Sucessful even if we dont go up as i thought we would just shoot down the leagues and be out of business afgter this season after the dismal performances of last season. If we dont go up it will be disapointing now as all our hopes are up but i predicted a tenth place finish so il be happy with anything better than that.
  • Too early to tell surely?
  • ask me on 29th May @ 7pm.
  • Agree with WSS.

The objective of the season had to be promotion, whether it was automatic or through the play-offs.

If we go up, the season will have been a success, if we don't it will have been failure.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]If we go up it'll be successful, if we don't then it'll be disappointing. Simples.
    That.
  • edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Successfully disappointing.

Disappointingly successful .
  • but if we go up, then we might not win as many games and people might be disappointed that we aren't beating sunday sides anymore.
  • [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]but if we go up, then we might not win as many games and people might be disappointed that we aren't beating sunday sides anymore.

not to mention a lack of new grounds and zero chance of promotion ... i'm sure we'd sell out everywhere
  • Sponsored links:

edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]but if we go up, then we might not win as many games and people might be disappointed that we aren't beating sunday sides anymore.

not to mention a lack of new grounds and zero chance of promotion ... i'm sure we'd sell out everywhere

And travel even better than we did last season to away games :-)
  • Not over yet!
  • Success IMO

we still exist.

We have had a good season having spent nothing.

We have a good manager who is more settled at the club and is showing signs of being able to spot a bargain. He also strikes me as erudite and calm under pressure. His interviews seem well executed and I really am warming to him.

I'm looking forward to next season come what may
  • Hear Hear swisdom! Top Man!
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]ask me on 29th May @ 7pm.

Ask me on May 8th @ 5pm

;o)
  • Successful, whatever happens....

The club looked to have mainlined last year, with the crowds losing it, the players couldnt give a fig and overall just a massive fall out from all the fatter yrs...

the reaction has been remarkable and a great home home this yr, solid away support, and a manger who seems to be growing...

If we make it, it will be champagne time and we havent had that for a while, it been whisky in a dark room on your own time for a few years, so a bit of cheer would be great...

If we do exeter 2-0 i think we are hitting form at the right time...

could be amazing we will just have to see...

Also at the beginning of the season we looked to of the championship form at one point, real quality... which was a bonus...
  • I think that before the season started, most would have accepted our current position. The amazing start only succeeded in getting our hopes too high. From my admittedly distant viewpoint, it would seem that we are about where we should be. I suppose it has been mildly successful. If we do sneak the second automatic promotion spot, I think we might feel we have been a bit lucky after a poor mid-season. However, all of the other teams have had bad spells, so I guess there is not much to choose between the first 7 or 8 sides.
  • imo before the season would have counted even being in the playoffs as good season, but after our form early in the season and us being in the top two for so long anything but promotion would be deemed dissapointing
  • I've enjoyed this season. Proper matches, decent prices, reasonable support at away matches
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]I've enjoyed this season. Proper matches, decent prices, reasonable support at away matches
    that

Would still prefer we go up though
  • Sponsored links:

edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]I've enjoyed this season. Proper matches, decent prices, reasonable support at away matches
    that

Would still prefer we go up though

£22 for league one football hows that a good price i know prem team who charge about a tenner more and you actually get to see football rather than bunch of fools running around not doing much good and just having to make a great atmos to keep yourself from falling asleep. Otherwise i agree with the rest but the prices are steep no matter the league.
  • If you look in a dictionary under "Premiership Fan" there is a picture of you Ru.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]If you look in a dictionary under "Premiership Fan" there is a picture of you Ru.

LOL thats hardly fair you all know how much i hate the corprate bollocks that is premiership football and how much on my high horse i get about clubs like Arsenal, Man u, Lierpool and Chelsea ruining good wholesome football with real football fans i just think that all football is overpriced but im the mug that pays to go every week home and away whenever i can so i got no one to blame but myself so not to worry il shut up then :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]i just think that all football is overpriced

You've certainly got a point there, Ru.

But then beer in pubs is overpriced too .........
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]i just think that all football is overpriced

You've certainly got a point there, Ru.

But then beer in pubs is overpriced too .........

Not forgetting petrol
  • And cigarettes.
  • And house prices
  • Successful if promotion is achieved; disappointing if it is not.
    It is that simple.
  • Not to be pedantic about it, but it seems to me that the answer depends upon the point from which you are basing the expectations.

From the beginning of the season? Disappointing for sure.

From the depths of the mid-season swoon when even the playoffs looked unlikely? Successful.

It seems that we are playing well when we should (although not necessarily getting the results), but may have left it a few weeks too late, but all told, the spirit around the club seems so much more positive, as summarised by Swisdom above.

I vote successful, whether promoted or not, but I'm solidly in the rose-coloured glasses brigade.
  • if we don't achieve promotion, it has to be disappointing.