Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Palace on the brink

I happened to pick up a copy of the mirror this morning which had a little article about Palace tucked away in the corner. Not sure how much of this is true or even new, but I thought I worth repeating it here. I don't get the bit at the end about the administrator quitting, how does that work?

"PALACE ON THE BRINK
By Darren Lewis

Crystal palace are understood to be just three weeks away from meltdown.

The 1990 FA cup finalists, just a point above the drop zone, are nowhere near finding a desperately needed new buyer which means:
- Manager Paul Hart is set to quit and join the Spurs coaching staff at the end of the season.
- First team coach John Pemberton will leave for Sheffield United
- The much-vaunted Palace academy is set to be scrapped in early May due to lack of funding.
- The Eagle could be forced into a groundshare with their Selhurst Park home at risk.

Club insiders even fear administrator Brenden Guifoyle, charged with finding a new buyer, will quit once the money runs out."

(The Mirror, page 70, 15/04/10)

Comments

• edited April 2010
    The administrators and liquidators get paid in priority (after any fixed charge creditors eg banks) to any other creditors so perhaps after paying the fixed charges that they are and Guilfoyle's fees there isnt a pot to piss in and hence he's not gonna do it for nothing.
  • Would hate to see this happen.
  • The Mirror though.
  • Darren Lewis is the guy who's always on SSN reviewing the papers in the mornings, never really sounds like he knows what he's talking about....much as I dislike them, certainly don't want to see them go out of business completely, relegated yes.
  • Is Darren Lewis the black guy?....talks total b*ll*x
  • Would love to see this happen.
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Is Darren Lewis the black guy?....talks total b*ll*x

yeah I'm sure that's him, always thought he sounded a bit like an agent the way he comes across.
  • I'm sure he's on TalkSport too doing a similar thing.
  • For any Palace related info, Addickted is your man. Unless he confirms this, i won't believe it.
  • I would hate to see them go out of business, I love the p!ss taking banter, I would love to see them relegated, but go out of business, no. Spurs though, I would love to see them dissappear, even if its just 'cos they are called Hotspur, I mean why Hotspur? Cack!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2010
    They'll just sell a few players to QPR, play their up and coming youngsters and groundshare at Millwall. Rumour is to stop this happening they will try and get the fans to buy the ground via their supporters trust.
  • edited April 2010
    Darren Lewis = Poor Journalist

I offered the Palace administrator £1 he says I am the only person to make a concrete offer.
  • Trust statement 14/04/10
    posted by Chris Waters on Wednesday 14th of April 2010 10:39:20 PM

The Trust wishes to announce that it is actively working on a scheme to enable fans to put money towards saving CPFC. It will be launched as soon as it is ready and passed as legally compliant; we are in active conversations with a law firm to ensure this is the case. Full details of the scheme will be available as soon as this is completed. The announcement has been brought forward in advance of reports in tomorrow's newspapers concerning the future of the club.

In addition we have been trying to contact CPFC administrator Brendan Guilfoyle to request a meeting to discuss the latest situation at the club, however we have had no response. We will continue to press for this meeting as a matter of urgency.
  • I'm quite sure Palace are in a very sticky situation. Personally I don't want to see them go completely out of business. This is happening in football far too often for my liking.
  • edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]I happened to pick up a copy of the mirror this morning which had a little article about Palace tucked away in the corner. Not sure how much of this is true or even new, but I thought I worth repeating it here. I don't get the bit at the end about the administrator quitting, how does that work?

"PALACE ON THE BRINK
    By Darren Lewis

Crystal palace are understood to be just three weeks away from meltdown.

The 1990 FA cup finalists, just a point above the drop zone, are nowhere near finding a desperately needed new buyer which means:
    - Manager Paul Hart is set to quit and join the Spurs coaching staff at the end of the season.
    - First team coach John Pemberton will leave for Sheffield United
    - The much-vaunted Palace academy is set to be scrapped in early May due to lack of funding.
    - The Eagle could be forced into a groundshare with their Selhurst Park home at risk.

Club insiders even fear administrator Brenden Guifoyle, charged with finding a new buyer, will quit once the money runs out."

(The Mirror, page 70, 15/04/10)

Nothing really new here.

Hart is only contracted until the end of the season.

Pemberton has already agreed to go to the Blades.

Their 'much vaunted' academy will probably fold regardless because of the cost anyway. I understand that their undercover training facilities has the same puncture that our hot air pitch cover has. It's not even at their training ground - which could also go as Jordan sold it for £1.5m with an annual rent of £175k.

The groundshare position is worrying though. I have heard it mentioned three times now (even before they went into administration) and I wouldn't mind hearing from either RM or SW if this is a possibility. It certainly makes financial sense for Palace.

Interesting about Guilfoyle. He should only get paid once a CVA has been agreed (he will be a preferred creditor) and as he was saying he only had enough money to keep Palace going until 4th May, the way I interpret that is they will be going into receivership. Which seems a bit drastic.

The CPFC2010 consortia really need to have some financial clout though to purchase the ground, satisfy the creditors via a CVA (which seems to rest in the hands of Jordan) and still survive the summer with no income - regardless of what division they are in.

Must be worrying times for the Palace faithful.
  • The Metro said this morning that CPFC2010 were nearing a deal and just finalising the purchase of Selhurst Park.

I would imagine it is the fans to save them or nothing when it comes to Palace and it wouldn't surprise me if who ever is behind CPFC 2010 is waiting to see what division they are in next year before proceeding or not.
  • Did I read somewhere that the administrator is a Charlton fan, was this a joke, or a secret and should I edit this out. Good times!
  • [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]Did I read somewhere that the administrator is a Charlton fan, was this a joke, or a secret and should I edit this out. Good times!

Spuds fan apparently.
  • edited April 2010
    Seems that the Ground is the sticking point. The problem is that the current rent negotiated by Tangoman is just not sustainable and will be even more uneconomic if they go down. There is a buy back clause but at a price that just does not reflect its value. There is looming on the horizon the threat of property developers offering more than the consortium trying to by the club as the land is worth more, potentially, if the club folds and the land is redeveloped. The council have said they will not allow a change of use, but those in the know say that if there is no football club, the council will roll over.

Oh by the way, the Training Ground was sold by Tangoman and the rent there is uneconomic as well. All in all, Tangoman, the master business man, seems to have lost his business marbles (if he ever had any), on his way to losing his shirt and has stuffed the club up with a shed load of trouble.
  • Is he still looking for compensation?
  • Sponsored links:

• Blimey. Usually I regard most tabloid news reports with ladle loads of scepticism, when I think back to all the rubbish written about us last summer. This report is actually quite shocking. To think that they might actually be in same position, if not worse, that the one we were in all those years ago.
  • Is Guilfoyle not the administrator? He's a Leeds fan isn't he? I'm sure he was chairman at Leeds as well after Ridsdale went.
  • I reckon we should get a second hand portacabin installed in the car park just in case...
  • edited April 2010
    Why don't Crystal Palace FC just do a deal with the council and play at Crystal Palace athletics stadium?
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]Why don't Crystal Palace FC just do a deal with the council and play at Crystal Palace athletics stadium?

Crystal Palace in Bromley ? no thanks, let Croydon Council sort their own out.
  • Is it only me who would really love to see them ground share with us?

Stitch them up on rent and basically control them.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bolderhumphreyreid[/cite]Is it only me who would really love to see them ground share with us?

Stitch them up on rent and basically control them.
    But could we guarantee they'd pay up anyway?
  • I'd feel sorry for them if they went out of business but I just couldn't stomach seeing their badge on our ground. No, no, no.. that wouldn't do at all.

They could always use the Withdean stadium or The New Den.
  • i would share with them it brings in revenue for us every week.

i think that at a time when evey penny counts utilise the facilities we have at the right price i would share our ground with them no probs
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]Why don't Crystal Palace FC just do a deal with the council and play at Crystal Palace athletics stadium?

Feck off. I live in Crystal Palace. Last thing i'd want is 10,000 nigels up my neck of the wood every other weekend. Anyway can't see it happening, there's an army of local nimbies and the park is the their holy grail.