Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Forster

2»

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Parky obviously didn't think we needed a goalscorer on the pitch when he subbed him. If Col U had equalised we'd have been looking for a goal from Crap-poo and Mooney, eight goals less between them this season than Forster. Can't see why Nicky had to be withdrawn.

Parky's trying for automatic promotion.

We were 1-0 ahead with 10 minutes or so left and our 36 year old striker had run himself ragged and we have another must-win home match on Saturday against the league leaders.

It made perfect sense to bench Forster to me.
  • Quite right, Len.

Parky wants to start 36 year old Forster in a key match against the League leaders ..... in just 4 days time.

Nicky is no spring chicken - so no point burning him out last night.
    Taking him off with 10 mins to play, means he should now have decent recovery time.
  • [cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]Neil Harris is old too, yet he's banging them in for fun at Millwall. Show's how poor this leaque is, or does it actually prove that experience is better in this leaque than youth? There's a topic. If we keep Forster next season, would be shame to lose everyone else.

I just think it proves that if you're good enough, it doesn't matter how old you are. Not really a youth v experience question.
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Parky obviously didn't think we needed a goalscorer on the pitch when he subbed him. If Col U had equalised we'd have been looking for a goal from Crap-poo and Mooney, eight goals less between them this season than Forster. Can't see why Nicky had to be withdrawn.

Simply from a defensive point of view it was better to keep Akpo on. I take your point that if Colchester had scored we'd have been less likely to score having taken Forster off, but equally with Sodje on the pitch they were less likely to score. I can remember at least 2 occasions where he headed corners/throw ins away.
  • edited April 2010
    So regardless what decisions Parky makes, he'll always be in the wrong in some peoples eyes.
  • Agree with Len and Oggy, taking him off was definitely the right thing to do.
    Also hope we can give him a contract for next season. Even if he only plays half the games he'll be an asset.
  • Pretty simple if we had Forster and Mooney up front, any clearances would have come back at us, potentially won by their midfield. Akpo wasn't winning many but he stopped Colchester headers going easily to their players. And then obviously he helped us defend set pieces.

It was one of those gambles and decisions managers have to make. Another day they might have equalised, another day we might have got a second.

There's not always a right or wrong decision, just a risk to take, as each player you bring on and off could change the game either way. Parky went for what he thought was most likely to win us the game, another day the same change would have been a mistake. He worked out how he thought the game would work out if he made that change, and it went to plan.
  • Glad Nicky is doing well for you guys – I said he would.

I believe it was a loan deal till the end of the season but with his contract running out then he won’t be coming back to Brighton.

Nicky put himself of the transfer list in Feb when he was told his contract wouldn’t be getting renewed… so effectively he is a Brighton reject!!

Personally I would have given him another year as I believe he is one of the most clinical strikers in league 1 but Gus knows our transfer budget better than I do for next season (it’s rumoured to be pretty hefty) and believes he can do better for next season – will be exciting if we can.

Best of luck with the rest of the season and hopefully Forster will continue to bang them in for you.
  • Just had a quick look at Nickys goal scoring pedigre, to be fair it makes decent reading and a mockery of our other recent forwards records.

Career games - not inc sub -564
    Goals 219

Goal every 2.5 games or so,,,,,pretty consistant, possibly should have even played at a higher level if niggling injuries didnt come along.
  • edited April 2010
    Didn't realise Nicky Forster was capped by England at under-21 level.
    Played a large swathe of his career in the Championship.

Forster signed a two year contract with Hull City on 31 August 2006 for a £250,000 transfer fee. He had been a team-mate of Hull City's then manager, Phil Parkinson, while at Reading.

No wonder Forster jumped at the chance to again join Parky ....!
  • His name is Nicky Forster, he wears a magic hat, when we win promotion, he'll say thank f*ck for that
  • Sponsored links:

• 1Zamora - where are your club getting money from if you've got a hefty transfer budget for next season?
    Hefty budget or not, giving up a striker of Forsters quality is a gamble.
    Let's hope Poyet knows what he's doing as i see he also loaned out Liam Dickinson to Peterborough, and i thought he was pretty good at this level.
  • [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]His name is Nicky Forster, he wears a magic hat,

.........when we win promotion, he'll say thank f*ck for that

That's what the rest of us will be saying .....!!!
  • re: Chris_from_Sidcup

Our chairman Tony Bloom is incredibly wealthy. He’s been on the board for years but when it became apparent that we weren’t getting all the bank loans for the stadium he stumped up the cash himself (93m cash interest free) in exchange for being made chairman, That along with 10m training facilities shows that he’s certainly not poor.
    He’s made it fairly clear that he’s not spending that much money for league 1 football so it will be an interesting summer.

I still think Forster deserved another year. I'll be watching with interest your last 2 /3 or hopefully 4 games.
    Dickinson never seemed to settle here and will also be offloaded in the summer. Be good to see who he brings in to replace who’s better than those 2.
  • I think with the new stadium Brighton have potential to be a big club, upper Championship and possible play off contenders within 3 years is a realistic possibility. With a decent capacity stadium and Championship football who would bet against Brighton having a go in the top flight within 5 years? Good luck to them to I say, decent club, decent fans who know what it's like to struggle and a mutual loathing of Crystal Palace whats to dislike?!
  • [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]I think with the new stadium Brighton have potential to be a big club, upper Championship and possible play off contenders within 3 years is a realistic possibility. With a decent capacity stadium and Championship football who would bet against Brighton having a go in the top flight within 5 years? Good luck to them to I say, decent club, decent fans who know what it's like to struggle and a mutual loathing of Crystal Palace whats to dislike?!

Catchment area is too small to be honest and there's not that much interest in the team in the Brighton area...unfortunately for them.
    Even when they were having some very reasonable success some years back the support was in all honesty very poor.
  • The problem with Brighton is that most people who live in Brighton don't actually come from Brighton. So as a result, you do have a decent number of football fans but they're Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and the like.

Which is a shame, really. Because there's no better pre-match drinking place in the country than the 500 pubs of Brighton.

Walked past the new stadium the other day. It's looking pretty impressive.
  • edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]I think with the new stadium Brighton have potential to be a big club, upper Championship and possible play off contenders within 3 years is a realistic possibility. With a decent capacity stadium and Championship football who would bet against Brighton having a go in the top flight within 5 years? Good luck to them to I say, decent club, decent fans who know what it's like to struggle and a mutual loathing of Crystal Palace whats to dislike?!

Catchment area is too small to be honest and there's not that much interest in the team in the Brighton area...unfortunately for them.
    Even when they were having some very reasonable success some years back the support was in all honesty very poor.

Maybe they could bus fans in from Gillingham?
  • edited April 2010
    I don't recall the Goldstone ground being too empty back in the old days (along time ago admittedly) ,I'm not suggesting 40,000 or anything like that but I do reckon they could get a good 20,000+ if reasonably high placed in tier 2. They would certainly get more than the likes of Palace and QPR.