Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Goalkeeper for the run in?

edited April 2010 in General Charlton
Elliot or Randolph?

As a reasonable standard goalkeeper in my youth I watch our keepers pretty closely and always enjoy discussions about them. I assume Elliot will be fit again soon and would think Parky has a decision to make.

As I see it Randolph has the shirt and deserves to keep it. Since coming in I can't think of a goal he has cost us and apparently saved us at Huddersfield. The one thing I don't like about him is that he seems too laid back - even in pre match warmups he seems uninterested. I guess it's understandable given he is out of contract and, apparently, free to leave in the summer. He does however seem to have taken this opportunity to showcase his talents to prespective new employers.

Of the two there are numerous strengths and weaknesses ; Elliot has the better throwout (though not seen a lot of it later in the season) but I think Randy has improved his kicking a lot.

Randy is probably a better shotstopper and is definitely the more agile.

Neither is magnificent at coming for crosses but Randolph does prefer to punch (and to be fair it hasn't let him down yet) whereas Elliot is often rooted to his line.

Randolph seems the more vocal of the two aswell and doesn't seem as injury prone as Robbie.

As much as I like Robbie I personally think he may have let his fitness slacken a bit. We all know he lost a stone in pre season but I think he may have added that back on gradually this season and this may have been to the detriment of his physical fitness. How many other keepers have got injured 2 or 3 times in a season? It just shouldn't happen.

For me Randy has earned his place in the side and I trust him being there. For now.

What say ye fellow Addicks

Comments

• From personal experiance i prefer Elliot, haven't really seen randolph of late only the home game against carlisle which he didn't really have much to do but seemed to do a good job and looked in control.

I think elliot has more presence about him, better kicker, equal at shot stopping imo. communication probably Randolph a bit better so it seems
  • couldn't argue with any of that to be fair, Randy currently has the shirt and doesn't deserve to lose it at the moment..
  • If he performs the man with the shirt keeps it.

I personally think Elliot is the better all round keeper as long as he curtails his pie eating!

As I said though if Darren has done nothing wrong then he keeps the shirt.
  • edited April 2010
    you could do it on current form, randy has let in 2 in his 4.5 games and elliot let in 9 for his last 4.5 games. but you have to go with elliot as he supports charlton.
  • Randolph in goal and Robbie to provide the half time entertainment, best combination surely ?
  • Randolph, he's pulled off some fantastic saves and has jumped at the chance of filling in at number 1. Do love Robbie but give Randolph some chance, he's done nothing wrong - in fact he's been brilliant, under pressure from fans (and defenders..)
  • I think Randolph should keep his place, his 4.5 games we have conceded 2 goals, Robbie's previous 4.5 games brought 9 goals against. I know that is a simplistic way of looking at it but for some reason I feel a bit safer with Randolph, Swisdom I agree that he does look laid back but he has always been like that and once you accept that's what he is like then you do have more confidence in his ability.
  • randolph won us the game at MK Dons, so i think he desrves to keep it at present.
  • I'd stick with Randolph, i thought Elliot looked a bit shaky in recent weeks
  • Sponsored links:

• I've always liked Elliot, but Randolph has the shirt and is doing everything reasonably expected of him.

At St Mary's, he was coming out for crosses and catching them; not much punching at all.
    Starting to command his box and much more decisive.

You can see his confidence is coming on by leaps and bounds.

Both keepers are first class shot stoppers ...... but IMO they both have the same weakness - they remain rooted to the line, instead of moving to make themself big against an advancing forward.
  • think this academic as elliot unlikely to be fit. my opinion is elliot is probably a better keeper but the choice at the moment between sommeone playing, in form and confident or someone feeling their way back - so go with randy for now
  • Randolph while he's confident and playing well. Elliot only more proven, Randolph's never had a run to be judged properly. There's not loads between them and perhaps the gaps smaller than it was, Randolph so far isn't making errors like he has in the past for us (and from what I heard, a few at Hereford as well).
  • Randolph for me as well. I don't think there's a lot to choose between them, but while he's fit and on form then it makes sense to keep him in.
  • Can't see Robbie being back in the squad for a while yet. There's no need to rush him back what with Warner on the bench, so just make sure Robbie's better, and in shape, for next season
  • Surely whichever one gets on with Parky best should get the nod?
  • Randolph.
  • Randolph

I guess that Parky's wife "gets on with him best", but she shouldn't be our goalkeeper!
  • Randolph, don't agree with the anti-Robbie stuff that gets aired on here, think he's a better keeper overall but Randolph has come in and done well, particularly at MK Dons, he's in possession and let's take it from there, as someone else said, I don't think we should be rushing Robbie back. Though he'll be itching to get in there I think he's played a fair few times this season below 100% and that's probably contributed to a couple of below par performances.
  • Sponsored links:

• No question for me, as soon as he's fit, I would have Elliot straight back in the team. Randolph is probably a better shot stopper but Elliot actually catches the ball - not giving away corners/possession and he has a clear edge on Randolph with his intelligent distribution of the ball. As soon as Elliot catches the ball he'll release straight back into play for us to attack. Randolph had a few opportunities to do this on Saturday and let the chance pass.

Randolph has done well since he's been in the team but Elliot has performed all season and has been one of our best players. I can't see Parkinson keeping Randolph ahead of Elliot when they are both fit as if he thought Randolph were the better keeper he would have been number one since the start of the season.

It's a good problem to have though and we are lucky to have two decent goalkeepers.
  • Randolph has been excellent & hasn't made a mistake of any consequence & I've seen all his games.

He must stay in the team 100%, no question, as Fergie would say.

Elliot is also a good goalie and we're lucky to have them both. But he'll have to wait until Randolph is injured or loses his place through loss of form.

After all Randolph has been more than patient, when Elliot usurped him, as Randolph was the No 2 behind Weaver, but missed out I think, because he was on on loan when Weaver got injured.
  • i think randolph has done well with his recent call up due to Elliot injury, but Elliot should be given the starting goalkeeper job when he returns fit.
    Randolph has made some big saves, but we should keep Elliot to start because his early form was spectacular and i can think of some incredible saves from Elliot this year!
  • Randolph has waited for his chance and has not let anyone down- yet! I think we should keep faith, also no point rushing Elliot back and risking another injury.
  • unreal .... randolph deserves a 50 game run he has come in and done well and that is what elliot has had and he didn't pull up any trees ... one of the biggest blessings in disguise randy coming in , we just look so much more solid....
    i genuinely believe i'm watching a different game to others
  • edited April 2010
    randolph without doubt. we look far more solid in defence and has made some great saves, always thought it surprising he never pushed his way into the team more after the match at Liverpool
  • Randolph derserves it - great to have 2 good young keepers - Randolph out of contract at the end of the season though
  • What ever happened to that loanee Ikeme that Parky preferred to Randolph.
    Oh, yeah ...

Randolph should have gotten the chance THEN!
    Now, go with the hot hand until it proves otherwise.
  • Yup rndalph should styay in, he has done a good job.
  • Randolph could be the new sasa, got his chance for the last 10 or 12 league games and through to wembley and you know what happend then, if we do make the playoffs which we will we need a settled balanced strong team, gk is one of the most important posistions on the pitch I'm like swis was and still could be an ok goalie if it wasn't for the 5 stone I'm carrying on top of my fighting weight. Randolph looks positive and happy so he should keep the gloves, elliot is deano jnr in everything he does and randolph reminds me of tank (jason brown) who is now at blackburn so can't be all bad and with warner in the wings passing on advice and wisdom there's no reason that rob and darren couldn't be the new given and harper.