Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wednesday Quiz April 7 2010

1. Who were Charlton's three goal scorers in our first home game, v Soton, in the Premiership?

2. Who was the Saints' Keeper who was sent off that day?

3. ..and who replaced him?

4. Charlton beat Southampton on Friday 24 September 1976 at the Valley. What was the score and who were the scorers for Charlton

5. And what was the crowd? (to the nearest thousand)

6. Which pre-war Charlton defender went on to manage Soton?

7. Which post-war Charlton midfielder went on the manage Southampton?

8. Which post-war Southampton trainee went on to manage Charlton?

9. Soton are nicknamed the Saints. Why would the nickname of "The Antelopes" also be appropriate?

10. During the 64/65 season how many league goals did we concede to Soton?

Comments

• 1. mendonca, robinson, redfearn
  • edited April 2010
    2. wanna say the goalie was 'Paul Jones' but cant remember who replaced him.
  • JTJT
    edited April 2010
    X
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]1. mendonca, robinson, redfearn

Correct

[cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]2. wanna say the goalie was 'Paul Jones' but cant remember who replaced him.

Correct for no.2
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]X

Oi! we have standards on this quiz. No X here please : - )
  • 7. Pardew.... spits on floor.
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]7. Pardew.... spits on floor.

Damn, was hoping my post war reference would confuse people.

Oh well you'll never get the other two. Far too obscure.
  • 3. David Howells
  • edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]3. David Howells

spot on. They had used all their subs so had to stick an outfield player, making his debut, in goal.
  • 8. Phil Parkinson
  • [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]8. Phil Parkinson

lucky guess : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• 4. Guess that was the 6-2 game
  • [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]4. Guess that was the 6-2 game

Is that your final answer?
  • edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]4. Guess that was the 6-2 game

Is that your final answer?
    well half an answer yes, but I would struggle with the goalscorers................. Hales, Powell, McAuley ?
  • It was the 6 - 2 game and Hales and Powell did score.

Two more to get.
  • edited April 2010
    Henry, surely there should have been a Q11 to which the answer was Cliff Durandt. Who can set the question for this (with relevance to Southampton)?
  • [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]Henry, surely there should have been a Q11 to which the answer was Cliff Durandt. Who can set the question for this (with relevance to Southampton).

be my guest
  • 9. The ships built in Southampton in bygone days were adorned with antelopes.
  • [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]9. The ships built in Southampton in bygone days were adorned with antelopes.

It's good but it's not right.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]It was the 6 - 2 game and Hales and Powell did score.

Two more to get.

Flash & Peacock
  • Antelope park was the home of hampshire ccc and southampton or st marys fc when they both were founded, hence why the new ground is called st marys to pay homage back to antelope park...
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]Henry, surely there should have been a Q11 to which the answer was Cliff Durandt. Who can set the question for this (with relevance to Southampton)?

Who scored the late goal in season 1962/3 to enable us to beat Southampton at The Valley in our penultimate game of the season and keep alive our hopes of avoiding relegation to division 3?

(or similar!)
  • [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]It was the 6 - 2 game and Hales and Powell did score.

Two more to get.

Flash & Peacock

Richie Bowman got one.
  • [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]It was the 6 - 2 game and Hales and Powell did score.

Two more to get.

Flash & Peacock

Flanagan was one but not Peacock

[cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Antelope park was the home of hampshire ccc and southampton or st marys fc when they both were founded, hence why the new ground is called st marys to pay homage back to antelope park...

They did use to play at Antelope Park. I think the new ground is called St Mary's cos it's in St Mary's but I might be wrong.

[cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]Henry, surely there should have been a Q11 to which the answer was Cliff Durandt. Who can set the question for this (with relevance to Southampton)?

Who scored the late goal in season 1962/3 to enable us to beat Southampton at The Valley in our penultimate game of the season and keep alive our hopes of avoiding relegation to division 3?

(or similar!)

Was it Cliff Durandt?

11. What was unusual about Cliff Durandt's 89th minute winner against Southampton in April 1963?
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]

Two more to get.

Flash & Peacock

Richie Bowman got one.

Thanks Len, my next guess was going to be Jeff Wood as I was running out of players :o)
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]

Two more to get.

Flash & Peacock

Richie Bowman got one.

He did.

Bowman, Powell, Hales and Flanagan.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]Henry, surely there should have been a Q11 to which the answer was Cliff Durandt. Who can set the question for this (with relevance to Southampton)?[/quote]

(or similar!)[/quote]

The 'Or similar' saved you, Len. I think it did actually save us.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]9. The ships built in Southampton in bygone days were adorned with antelopes.[/quote]

It's good but it's not right.[/quote]

Southampton's first ground was The Antelope Ground - it was named after the antelopes put on ships in King Henry V's day.
  • [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]9. The ships built in Southampton in bygone days were adorned with antelopes.

It's good but it's not right.

Southampton's first ground was The Antelope Ground - it was named after the antelopes put on ships in King Henry V's day.

I bow to you superior knowledge even if it wasn't the answer on the card. I hope you didn't google it : - )

Still a 3., 5., 6., and 10. to get
  • 6. Did Ted Bates ever play for us? If yes him!
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]6. Did Ted Bates ever play for us? If yes him!

No he didn't but can I draw your attention to the shirt sponsorship thread post 87