Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Budget

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]When does the stamp duty thing kick in? Have they said.

(Am due to complete by 30th April and at the moment, I'm paying £1,650 stamp duty on my 2 bed flat. Although having a house with the ex-Mrs previously, I'm considered a first-time buyer for mortgage purposes, so hopefully will be the same for the stamp duty.)

You only qualify if your name has never previously appeared on the land registry.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]Historically, the duty on cider has been less than the tax on beer, which is why it's long been a cheap way to get drunk. There's no real justification for this, hence the correction.

Sorry, but not a good move. Many cider brewers are British and the apple orchards are also in the UK so there are a lot of British jobs at stake, plus there has been a growth in cider brewing over the last few years aimed not at the mass market but those of us who want something different from beer/guinness and soft drinks.

I wonder what the effect of this rise will be? I predict unemployment.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]When does the stamp duty thing kick in? Have they said.

(Am due to complete by 30th April and at the moment, I'm paying £1,650 stamp duty on my 2 bed flat. Although having a house with the ex-Mrs previously, I'm considered a first-time buyer for mortgage purposes, so hopefully will be the same for the stamp duty.)

You only qualify if your name has never previously appeared on the land registry.

Oh well. B@stards. Would never happen under a Tory Government ;-)
  • Options
    Oh well. B@stards. Would never happen under a Tory Government ;-)

Simple, become a non-dom.