Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Budget

edited March 2010 in Not Sports Related
Oh darling

50% income tax now from next month .

And stamp duty of 5% on homes worth over £1m .

And 10% above inflation duty on Cider .

Time to depart

Comments

• Options
    O right was it today :-)
  • Options
    I actually thought it was next week lol.
  • Options
    Stamp duty scrapped for homes below £250,000 for first-time buyers
    £2.5bn support for small business to boost skills and innovation
    No changes to VAT or income tax planned
    Inheritance tax threshold frozen for four years
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]I actually thought it was next week lol.

Well it was originally but they moved it to this week cos its the general election next week
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]Oh darling

Time to depart

Well i don't like cider and will probably never own a home worth £1m so i'm staying!
  • Options
    all i wanna know is am i gonna lose more money from my wages when i get paid?...and has the price of beer gone up?

Or is that no what the budget is. I hate politics.
  • Options
    Wine, beer and spirit duty up 2% a year until 2013
    Tobacco duty up 1% this year and 2% a year in future years
  • Options
    That bloody woman better say please when I pay for my diesel from now on
  • Options
    On track to achieve £11bn efficiency savings target
    Reform of housing benefit to save £250m
    15,000 civil servants to be relocated outside London
    £2bn investment bank to back low-carbon industries
  • Options
    Borrowed £167bn in 2009-10, £11bn lower than previously forecast
    Borrowing to fall from £131bn in 2011-12 to £74bn in 2014-15
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Labour in taxing the wealthy shocker.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]And 10% above inflation duty on Cider .

You wait till the tramps see this, they're gonna go nuts!!!!

Oh well, Merrydown could only be £2 a bottle for so long... ;'(
  • Options
    Hopefully buying my first home this year (and I doub't I'll be getting a place worth over £250k!!) so pretty good for me.

It's odd that they single out a particular type of alcohol (i.e.Cider) - what would be the thinking behind that ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]Hopefully buying my first home this year (and I doub't I'll be getting a place worth over £250k!!) so pretty good for me.

It's odd that they single out a particular type of alcohol (i.e.Cider) - what would be the thinking behind that ?

Under age drinking at a guess.
  • Options
    Very pleased, I am looking to buy my first house, will be sub £250k, cheers Darling.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]It's odd that they single out a particular type of alcohol (i.e.Cider) - what would be the thinking behind that ?
    They've based it on the damage CAFCBourne causes when he drinks it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]

Well it was originally but they moved it to this week cos its the general election next week

Ahh so its not just me being a bellend (well i spose it always is to a certain extent) cool.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]It's odd that they single out a particular type of alcohol (i.e.Cider) - what would be the thinking behind that ?

Would it not encourage pubs and supermarkets to use UK based manufacturers? (thats a guess)....or is that for import duty?
  • Options
    Think they are following Marbella on the Cider thing it's Nearly 10 Euros a pint out there!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]

Ahh so its not just me being a bellend (well i spose it always is to a certain extent) cool.

Ru mate. You do make me laugh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]Oh darling

Time to depart

Posted by: Labour Government

Do not attempt to better yourself, we will tax you. Do not buy a nice house, we will tax you. Stay at home, and be a bum. But don't drink Cider for some reason
  • Options
    When does the stamp duty thing kick in? Have they said.

(Am due to complete by 30th April and at the moment, I'm paying £1,650 stamp duty on my 2 bed flat. Although having a house with the ex-Mrs previously, I'm considered a first-time buyer for mortgage purposes, so hopefully will be the same for the stamp duty.)
  • Options
    Good news about the stamp duty for first time buyers.....just tell me how to accumulate a £25k deposit for a £250k flat please.

It's not stamp duty that's the problem, it's the supply of decent housing for a reasonable price to young people earning under £30k
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]When does the stamp duty thing kick in? Have they said.

(Am due to complete by 30th April and at the moment, I'm paying £1,650 stamp duty on my 2 bed flat. Although having a house with the ex-Mrs previously, I'm considered a first-time buyer for mortgage purposes, so hopefully will be the same for the stamp duty.)

Midnight tonight.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Stamp duty scrapped for homes below £250,000 for first-time buyers
    £2.5bn support for small business to boost skills and innovation
    No changes to VAT or income tax planned
    Inheritance tax threshold frozen for four years

Well he'd like you to think there were no changes to income tax wouldn't he? Did you see anything about increases to personal allowances? No. That means as a percentage of our wages, we'll all be paying more tax. It's called incremental drift I think.
    What else didn't he mention? Well even on his own figures, government borrowing is 27 times more now than it was in 1997. National debt will be £1.3 trillion by 2015 (and rising) Oh, that doesn't even included the unfunded £500bn liability for public sector pensions. The trade deficit has hit an annual rate of £7bn and business investment has fallen by 5%.
    In 2000, three years into the Labour administration, the government spent £343 billion. This year it plans to spend £653bn: nearly twice as much.
    If it had only grown in line with inflation since 2000, government spending would now be £407bn – £246bn less than this year's proposal.
    That's enough to wipe out a £118bn deficit, abolish VAT entirely, cut corporation tax to match Ireland's 12.5%, abolish Council Tax, and still have £10bn spare.

By the way, starting on January 1st, we didn't earn anything for ourselves until 14th May last year, This means that for 134 days of the year, every penny earned by the average UK resident was taken to support government expenditures. I look forward to seeing what "tax freedom day" is in 2010!
    Last one out turn off the lights.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]50% income tax now from next month
    But only if you're earning over 150k. If you're earning that much are you really going to miss the extra 10p in the pound of your earnings over that?
  • Options
    Historically, the duty on cider has been less than the tax on beer, which is why it's long been a cheap way to get drunk. There's no real justification for this, hence the correction.
  • Options
    spoken like a politician !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]There's no real justification for this, hence the correction.

Why is there a justification for excessive tax on anything ....?
  • Options
    How i wish i was still living in Blighty..........