Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Youga starts for ressies, Shelvey plays too (why?)

2»

Comments

• edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    Warren McBean formerly of Barnet and St Albans? Sounds like we're getting desperate.

Brighton aswell no? well no harm in having a look at strikers when ours arent performing
    No harm, but in Henry's article it says he's 24, not like he's a young promising player, just a good non-league goalscorer (might be better than that, but that's all he's proven to be so far).

We're at that level now where players can and often do make a sudden step up from non-league and are succesful and that includes late developers. With our budget we need to be looking high and low for bargains and undiscovered gems, so it's good we're taking a look at him. It's all the more important now though that we only sign good-uns - we need the next Charlie Austin, not the next Chris Dickson.

Exactly, i think Millwall got Morison for only about 150k so there are bargains out there. Although to be fair he'd been scoring loads in the conference for at least 2-3 years so was less of a gamble than someone like Dickson/McBean.

Fleetwood was a goal machine at Conference level too though. Must be incredibly difficult to know whether a player can make the step up. Signing any non-league player always represents a gamble.
  • [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    Fleetwood was a goal machine at Conference level too though. Must be incredibly difficult to know whether a player can make the step up. Signing any non-league player always represents a gamble.
    Is difficult but I think you've got to find players with a bit more to their game than the likes of Dickson and Fleetwood (and even McLeod in League Two). I struggle to work out what they saw in Fleetwood that Dickson or McLeod didn't already have. All of them are about using their pace rather than having a football brain, wouldn't say any are consistently good finishers either (McLeod not at all really). I've thought with Dickson especially he doesn't have enough about him in basic things like keeping possession or picking the right option, so he'll probably struggle to ever improve in those areas. Players like Luke Varney weren't great, but had a lot more of a balanced all round game than any of those three did.

I've not seen much of them, do Morison and Austin at Swindon have more to their game than just being decent goalscorers and/or having a bit of pace?
  • The difference is that Morison did it for a number of years, he scored over 20 goals in 3 straight seasons for Stevenage. Fleetwood had 1 prolific season which was obviously a freak season then we bought him.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]The difference is that Morison did it for a number of years, he scored over 20 goals in 3 straight seasons for Stevenage. Fleetwood had 1 prolific season which was obviously a freak season then we bought him.
    Was he not pretty good for Cardiff before he got injured? I seem to remember something along those lines and then he broke his leg.
  • edited March 2010
    Was it a freak season though, or was he just in the right team and was improving as player? He'd probably score goals if he went back there. I think he's probably just too limited a player to step up to League One, maybe even League Two football.
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]The difference is that Morison did it for a number of years, he scored over 20 goals in 3 straight seasons for Stevenage. Fleetwood had 1 prolific season which was obviously a freak season then we bought him.
    Was he not pretty good for Cardiff before he got injured? I seem to remember something along those lines and then he broke his leg.
    8 appearances for Cardiff. I think he was just considered a promising player while he was there. Wasn't there something about him thinking he had made it and wasn't working hard enough?
  • If things go badly with the promotion campaign and we have to lose a lot of players next season I wouldn`t be too shocked if Fleetwood was needed back at The Valley.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]If things go badly with the promotion campaign and we have to lose a lot of players next season I wouldn`t be too shocked if Fleetwood was needed back at The Valley.

He's not even wanted by Exeter these days so there's no way he'll be wanted by us.
  • Remember, Pardew's best attribute is his skill in the transfer market. He said so himself.

:(
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Remember, Pardew's best attribute is his skill in the transfer market. He said so himself.

:(
    Maybe he just meant that he buys more players than any other manager.

And yeah I doubt Fleetwood will be here next season whatever league we're in considering he's not a regular at Exeter and doesn't score goals at this level. More chance of McLeod being a regular I'd say.