Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Most disappointing thing about Sat........

(Apart from the on-field performance)

That so many of our support could attend a game of that importance, with un-reserved seating and still have so many sat down in the top tier.

I think we had more stood at Southend and Gillingham.

Comments

• I take it this is a wind-up?!
  • There was a lady near me who must've been in her 60s and had a walking stick, are you really expecting her to stand up for 2 hours?

Since when does standing up make you a better fan.
  • does standing up make you support the team more then?, my old man goes to every single game but physically couldn't stand up for more than about 20 mins at a time even if he wanted to

and he was in the upper tier
  • i thought it disappointing that so many knew it was unreserved seating but still turned up late and then wondered why they had trouble finding a seat
  • Never said it did mate.

It just disappointed me personally. I know most won't feel the same, but I think you would struggle to find many other clubs in the Country who when playing their nearest rivals in a game of that importance and have so many fans sitting.

I thought having un-reserved would help those who don't like standing as they could go to the front on the stand.

Most comments on here last week also suggested it would be an 'all standing' game.

Never mind - just surprises me, after so many stood at Southend and Gillingham.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]i thought it disappointing that so many knew it was unreserved seating but still turned up late and then wondered why they had trouble finding a seat[/quote]

I don't think many wondered why. It was bound to happen, just like at Orient. More annoyed to be kicked out by the stewards, seeing it was their clubs idea but they could not manage it properly.
  • I was in the lower tier which where most were standing, yet the singing was not all that - which is more disappointing if you ask me
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]does standing up make you support the team more then?, my old man goes to every single game but physically couldn't stand up for more than about 20 mins at a time even if he wanted to

and he was in the upper tier[/quote]

Completley understand that Eltham. But don't you think every club has 'older' fans who travel away. Usually they will head to the front, esp when un-reserved seating allows you too. I would have a differnt opinion if seats were allocated, as you are then stuck with what you have.
  • Fair enough. I just don't quite understand *why* you find it disappointing?

The unreserved seating is always a mess. People needed to move down in the middle of the rows; this is something the police could've helped with later when trying to get people out of the aisles. However, instead of telling everyone to move down they just said "please find a seat". How very helpful.
  • Sponsored links:

• ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!

People moan we don't take enough people away yet anybody who wants to sit and watch the match they've paid hard earned money for and who doesn't drunkenly abuse such people if politely asked to sit down is not regarded as a proper fan by the likes of "The Organiser".

Well Mr Organiser you can't have it both ways. People like me won't go away while people like you spoil our day so don't moan about numbers. It is the attitude of people like you that deters decent people who just want to watch a game of football from going away.
  • he purposely sat towards the front and right at the far right end of the stand, I think about 2/3 of the upper tier were standing at the outset
  • The thing about unreserved seating with our support is that the siddarns will get in the ground and sit near the bottom and the stand ups will go up the back.
    Whereas at for example Gillingham, Palace, people that want to stand that have tickets at the front will just stand, meaning the rest of the support will.
    I can always see both sides to this argument as I have been to games where we have sold out and stood and some old geezers literally don’t see the game (and lets face it we have a larger percentage of old geezers)
  • Len,

I NEVER said you are not a proper fan if you don't stand. Most of the sitters would knock spots of me when it comes to how big a fan they are and im gald we took decent numbers over there.

I just find it very hard to sit down, when watching something im very passionate about, hence why most of my aways this season have been when there has been terracing.

I don't expect fans to stand at most away games (I know Charlton have a more family based and probably elder support than most), but for most clubs when you play your nearest and most hated rivals, normally everyone stands. Just like at Palace usually.

Just surprised me in a negative way.

P.S. Not every stander is drunk and abuses people mate.
  • You're right large. I prefer to stand but can be rarely bothered to sing nowadays. Although saying that I very rarely go to games anymore
  • edited March 2010
    Repost
  • Surprised most weren't lying down asleep after watching that toilet.
  • You're bang out of order Mr Organiser.

Football nowdays, whether you like it or not, is set in all seater stadiums FOR YOUR SAFETY.

This means you have a seat and you SIT IN IT.

If you want to stand at a football match I suggest you to go and watch non-league football where they generally have terraces and other standing areas.

Or haven't you heard of Hillsborough?
  • Still surprises me all this allocated/unallocated seating stuff.

Unwritten rule for away games is usually to sit where you like, those who wish to sit down & watch the game gravitate towards the sides & front, those who wish to stand & sing generally congregate along the back and across the middle.

Normally works out reasonably well at the few games we have sold out/taken a big following to. But then we have spent the majority of our time in the football doldrums, so never have to worry about sell outs, allocated seats etc often.

When you've spent a number of years in the premiership, that sort of becomes engrained in you as that's the way it is.
  • The bottom left corner of the lower tier was completely empty. Me and my two mates had about 8 rows empty around us. Got abused non-stop by about 400 Millwall fans that couldnt be any older than 13....which was pretty funny really. Couldnt see the upper but im guessing it was rammed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Organiser i know were your coming from

SLLion totally agree
  • I wonder how many actual 'problems' have ever been caused by the right number of fans standing in seated areas??
  • [cite]Posted By: OhsouthLondon[/cite]How can you go to a south london derby and expect 3000 fellow fans to cater for your needs.
    Look at how many teams ram out the Jimmy Seed and every last one of them stand.

it happens at football, charlton are no different.
    So if you have a problem with standing go and watch the cricket.

Or even better those who stand obey the law of the land in an all seater stadium and SIT DOWN!!

That way old, young, fit or infirm can all see the match!

SIMPLE!
  • also agree
  • Arguing for the sake of arguing here guys.....
  • Kneel or crouch down. Ticks both boxes.
  • always annoys me when people go towards the back and then sit down and make the people in front of them sit down. like people who drive at 70 in the fast lane on the motorway. yes, you may be right by law, but why do you have to make it your business to make me not break the law?

if you want to sit, sit near the front. simple.
  • OK think i have changed my view people should be allowed to sit were they please
    AND dont moan when people stand in your way as this is what happens at football people middle and back tend to stand
  • I think the main reason I was surprised by the topic in the first place was that I couldn't understand why those that stand are disappointed in seeing others sit down. If you want to stand and can stand without disrupting others, what's the problem with people sitting down who are a few rows in front of you? That's what the 'The Organiser' seemed to be getting at and I didn't, and still don't, understand.

It's kinda my fault I took this thread into the 'stand up = proper fan' debate. Sorry!
  • Years ago I used to stand in the Covered End thinking, 'I wonder if I'll ever be able to afford the extra 2/6 to sit in the stand'...

Then one day I got a complimentary ticket and as I sat there lording it over the North Bank 'riff-raff' I thought to myself 'I can't wait to get back on the terraces as this sitting lark is defintely not for me', it was just too refined and lardy dah..

But in them days at least I had a choice and it would be nice to have a choice today, I'd like a choice to bounce up and down on the terracing now and again but seeing as me arthritis plays me up now and then it's good to have a sit available, which unfortunately affects me piles so I can't win either way...

I can understand the 'modern' generation of fans that clamour for open terracing because of the buzz it gives but I doubt very much it's gonna happen in top tier football, the best we can hope for is relegation to the Conference and have a few seats taken out for financial purposes...