Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best Individual Performance from a Charlton Player

2»

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Mendonca at wembley
    IIic at Birmingham 98
    Melrose vs Everton (at selhurst 86)
    Parker vs Chelsea (Boxing day 03)
    Miller vs Chelsea (Battle of the bridge 88)
    Shirtliff vs Leeds (87 play offs)
  • Just remembered Nicky Johns at The Valley some years back, against Chelsea wasn't it?......Le performance incredeeebellay!!
  • how about rufus' return from injury against Tottenham in 02! (the game chrissy powell scored the winner)
  • claus jensen in the 4-1 Away win at Highbury. Jensen scored quite a cheeky flick...
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Scott Parker and Di Canio were pretty special against Chelsea on Boxing Day 2003/2004

I'd agree with that one. Di Canio ripped Chelsea apart.
  • Mendonca Wembley. (smiles for the first time since Saturday)
  • John Solako v Tranmere 00/01.

We went 2-0 down and I think he came on at half time. Tormented them ragged.
  • [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]
    Steve Mackenzie away at Highbury 2-2

Good shout. He played like that several times, and on other occasions gave performances that would be contenders for worst ever.
  • Been watching Charlton for 49 years. No doubt in my mind. Sir Clive at Wembley.
  • Has to be Mendonca at Wembley.

However one I've not seen mentioned is Richie Bowman when we stuffed Southampton 6-2 in 1976 or thereabouts. He dominated midfield that night and I thought we had really got a player.

Sadly he never quite reached those heights again and ended up at Gillingham (via Reading I think) and had to pack up through injury in his mid twenties.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Has to be Mendonca at Wembley.
    best of my life!
    EDIT I am certainly not Mendonca but Best performance during my life span!
  • For me its got to be Dazzlers wing wizzardry and pace for Charlton Life against Ipswich ......Ryan Giggs eat your heart out ;-)
  • I didn't go but by all accounts Bob Bolder was incredible in a 0-0 at Old Trafford.
  • No mentions for Paul Miller last game of the season away to Chelsea?
    He was immense that day, and we stayed up, and Chelsea went into playoffs and then relegated.
  • Keepers;
    Johns v Chelsea 1-1 1983
    Bolder v Man Utd 0-0

Defenders;
    Mark Fish v Chelsea (at The Bridge) 1-0...Lisbie
    Ronnie Moore v Spurs (at White Hart Lane in FA Cup) 1985 1-1
    Stuart Balmer v Blackburn (at Ewood Park in FA Cup) 1-0

Midfielders:
    Parker v Chelsea (best midfield display I've seen) 4-2
    Walsh v Man City (at Selhurst) 5-0

Strikers;
    Melrose v Everton 3-2
    Mendonca v Sunderland
    Simonsen v Chelsea 1983 5-2

For me, the Johns and Simonsen performances v Chelsea (different matches) where in the "defied belief" category.
  • edited March 2010
    Clive, put us back on the map and propelled us to the good times that were to follow. Even in the bad times that afternoon at Wembley have raised the profile of our great club to such an extent that the football world is still puzzled that we are where we are and we are still considered a big club albeit one on reduced circumstances. Without that day -who could say??
  • Deano v Spurs in 2000, his personal dual with Les Ferdinand!
  • Supaclive v Mackems at Wembley
    Melrose's hat-trick v Everton at Selhurst Park (left foot, right foot, header) - against the current League Champions
    Scott Parker v Chelsea
    Rob Lee's first 6 games of the season before he got sold to Newcastle - we owe that man a lot too
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]new years day 1988 old trafford 0-0 bob bolder B-L-O-K-E
    I went to this one, they could have played all day and united still wouldn't have scored - proper goalkeeping!
  • Not so much a great performance, I can't remember, but never seen so much skill from a player over a whole game than Di Canio at home to Blackburn (I think). Can't remember much about it at all, but he was (successfully) using his skill and little tricks all game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Darren Pitcher anyone?......thought not!!!!!

Paul Mortimer .... too many games to name but quality that i doubt we're ever likely to see in a charlton shirt again (in my lifetime).
    Thanks Oohaah!
  • Lisbie Versus Liverpool...
  • When Leaburn got 3 against Ipswich, they had their centre-forward in goal!!

Bowyer and Mortimer bossed tons of midfields

Parker against Wolves, I think it was his last game for us and he was everywhere

Rufus had dozens of games where I thought he stood a few feet above everyone else on the pitch
  • for me it has to be mendonca at wembley, but also on a frosty night at grimsby. then from my youth it will always be simonsen at hillsborough. we lost the game but i felt immensely proud that a truely world class player was wearing my clubs shirt. he was awesome that day and wednesday couldnt live with him in the second half. incidentally barcelona only sold simonsen the european player of the year to make way for the relatively average diego maradonna due to foreign player regulations! what a charlton legend.
  • Nicky Weaver at Plymouth?
  • edited March 2010
    John Humphrey against everyone: what a player! So many good performances in our shirt.

(I was only about 12-15 at the time so my memory of particular games is a bit fuzzy!)

But of course, Mendonca (vs. Sunderland) - theres no argument!
  • Jensen V Derby Circa 2001/2
  • Havent read the whole thread but Paul Williams brace against Man Ure at Selhurst is up there. Bennett and Mortimer were both awesome in what I think was a 3-0 victory against Chelsea at Selhurst. Special mention for Tony Laing as well. Came into the side against Norwich at Selhurst in the 85/86 promotion season and was unbelievable.