Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Would we have given Curbs six seasons in today's climate?

2»

Comments

• how many strikers do you need when you comfortably deliver premiership football every season? we didn't have the budget that would allow us to keep racking up strikers just to keep the bench warm.
  • we have had rewards for years and years.... like someone else illustrated, staying afloat, getting back to the valley, building the team, stadium upgrades, suddenly we are buying players, suddenyl we are a going concern making money, an over time we battled and got ourselves up there, and then we got promoted and established and really pushed on, parker and chelseas was the peak, we kept in there with murphy and bent, and then with the change and curbs leaving it was final conformation we were in massive decline, and sure enough 20 million later(Dowie, and Pards,) we are where we are....

Now it is an EXCELLENT question, and I think that firstly the situations arent comparable curbs was given time and expextation was low, Parkinson has come off the back of the biggest and sharpest fall from grace in the clubs 100 plus yrs history, OF COURSE WE ARE UPSET, for a start.

I remember how great it was to be chatting to a Man U friend and listing off the team and it being a respectable premiership side, great, heady days...

I think this thread highlights that yes we do need to give parkinson time, I know it was awful, LLERA!!!!

and I know it was Millwall, and I know it was a capitualation, I think it was interesting that someone brought up curbs 4-0's, its easy to remmebr him in a mystical haze as we have had such lean yrs since....

I say stick with Parkinson, and just support the decisions of the decision makers...

this thread has made me feel a bit better actually.....
  • Bartlett done a good job for a few years aswell.
  • [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]how many strikers do you need when you comfortably deliver premiership football every season? we didn't have the budget that would allow us to keep racking up strikers just to keep the bench warm.
    Neither does Parky. My point is it's far from easy finding strikers, whether you have a few million to spend in the Prem, or just a larger than average wage budget in League One.

Bartlett, JJ, Svensson, Pringle, Cole, Lisbie, Jeffers, Marcus Bent - some did a job, others didn't, but none were really seen as good enough in many fans eyes. Like I said, it's not easy finding strikers.

Euell like Bartlett did ok but not everyone was convinced and he never scored more than 10 or so a season.
  • I think Bartlett and pringle and jj and svensson were very charlton type players, put in a good shift, always worked hard, JJ had one fantastic season.. but they all got a bit long in the tooth... cole always had talent, some of his tight truns and strikes were quality, lisbie just could never hit the net, Jeffers can go drink 4 shots of tequilla and marcus bent was the biggest a5se ever at the club....

for some reason this thread has given me some real perspective.... its gonna be alright i reckon...
  • Things weren't exactly great in the Gritt/Curbishley days either and there are some similarities.

There were some very average signings such as Bradley Allen and Brendan O'Connell, crap loan signings like Leroy Rosenior and Mike Small but some inspired signings as well. Kins is the obvious one but the crowd were on John Robinson's back for a very long time before he was accepted.

The side had no natural goalscorer until David Whyte came along. Leaburn, Grant, Dyer and that up and coming youngster Lisbie were never prolific.

All the so-called better players had recently gone so it was a fairly new squad. And there was still no money to spend.

More importantly, was the quality of the home-grown players. Bowyer, Minto, Pitcher, Nicholls. Rufus, Primus and more, some of whom made the club some good money in transfer fees after giving generally good service as well.

Plus we had the likes of Bob Bolder, John Humphrey, Mark Reid, Andy Peake and Colin Walsh. How we'd like players of that calibre today.

I suppose that we were a division above the one we are in now but even so, reading what I have just written, perhaps there's no comparison at all between then and now!