Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Time To Play Semedo At Centreback

After Saturday's embarassing pile of crap I think we really need to change the centrebacks. Llera for Sodje is the obvious change and I personally don't want to see Llera playing for us again against any of the better sides in the division and I'm still undecided about ever again. However with us being short on cover that surely means that Dailly would have to partner Sodje, now I think that Dailly had a good game before we crumbled, but you still can't excuse his performance after he let in that own-goal. He has been pretty solid for us so far but at his age I think he needs a rest and I think Semedo should be given the chance there to shine. Now I would bet that most of you had never even heard of Semedo or ever seen him play before he joined us and I know a lot of you are sceptical about him playing there.

However I have seen Semedo play before he joined us, albeit only once, that game however was Portugal Under 21's vs Italy's Under 21's at the 2007 Under 21 European Championship He started the match at centreback and played the full game and what impressed me is that on his own he totally nullfied Giampaolo Pazzini upfront for Italy (for those of you who don't know your Italian football too well, the bloke that scored the first hat-trick at Wembley for the Italy Under 21's against England). Now I don't want to base Semedo 's ability all on one game, but Pazzini is a very good player still today and is being linked with moves to Chelsea and Juventus(wheyhey) so to mark a guy out of a game with that much talent surely takes some doing, he also defended very well against a much more talented Italy side and Portugal managed to take Italy to penalties after the game finished 0-0 after extra time where they lost out.

Comments

• edited March 2010
    I think he would be good along side Sodje. Sam would give the pace and height, Semedo the muscle. Can't be any worse than Saturday anyway - won't happen though! With Parky's tactical nous I expect to see Youga partnered with Solly in the middle next with Richardson moved to the left and Bailey dropped back to RB.
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]I think he would be good along side Sodje. Sam would give the pace and height, Semedo the muscle. Can't be any worse than Saturday anyway - won't happen though!

Exactly, would them to both play together, but you're right about it not happening sadly Parky wouldn't have the tactical nous to try it, there's more chance of Akpo Sodje going to the World Cup than Semedo playing at centreback.
  • I wouldn't be against it that's how we lined up. Would probably bring in Spring in central midfield to take his place, alongside Bailey with Shelvey just in front. Dailly may well need a rest, and I wouldn't want to see Sodje next to Llera.
  • I think you're right about putting Semedo at centre half with Sodje. However, I don't think now is the right time to experiment with changing BOTH centre halves, although Gillingham haven't won away all season, so it might be worth a try.

It's been quite apparent this season (and the last two) that the spine of the team has not been solid enough. I can't see any of the centre halves staying next year. Lera has no pace or positional sense, Dailly will be too old and Sodje is too eratic.
  • Not the worst idea. Was it Swindon at home when Semedo dropped into CB after Sodje done his usual. Thought he played really well there.
  • [cite]Posted By: forzajuve_27[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]I think he would be good along side Sodje. Sam would give the pace and height, Semedo the muscle. Can't be any worse than Saturday anyway - won't happen though!

Exactly, would them to both play together, but you're right about it not happening sadly Parky wouldn't have the tactical nous to try it, there's more chance of Akpo Sodje going to the World Cup than Semedo playing at centreback.
    Tactical nous? Yet when he actually does try something different he's tactically clueless and naive. It would be a tactical error to throw him in at centre back and if say he comes up against a striker that dominates in the air. If it didn't work his tactics would be critisized again, and his man management for "playing someone yet again out of position".
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Crazy[/cite]I think you're right about putting Semedo at centre half with Sodje. However, I don't think now is the right time to experiment with changing BOTH centre halves, although Gillingham haven't won away all season, so it might be worth a try.

It's been quite apparent this season (and the last two) that the spine of the team has not been solid enough. I can't see any of the centre halves staying next year. Lera has no pace or positional sense, Dailly will be too old and Sodje is too eratic.[/quote]

Yeah it could be risky, but after Saturday why the hell not really. I think it depends what division we are in as to what centrebacks stay, if we don't go up then I think Llera and Dailly will still be here, Sodje may well move on to the Championship and if we go up then I think Sodje will stay and Llera and Dailly will both go.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite][quote]
    Tactical nous? Yet when he actually does try something different he's tactically clueless and naive. It would be a tactical error to throw him in at centre back and if say he comes up against a striker that dominates in the air. If it didn't work his tactics would be critisized again, and his man management for "playing someone yet again out of position".[/quote]

Well my main point was that if Semedo can handle Giampaolo Pazzini, a top Serie A striker who is probably going to move on to one of the best club's in the world at the end of the season then surely he can handle a League 1 striker playing for Gillingham.
  • Thought Semedo was signed as a centre back ? Could prove inspirational to give him a go there !!!!!
  • I think Semedo would be more likely to replace Daily and that aint gonna happen, so put him at left back where he has shown he can do a job, big mistake on Saturday in my view - this tactic of playing a dedicated defensive midfielder has shown time and time again not to work at this level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good call, but has parky the bulls to drop both centre backs? doubt it very much
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I think Semedo would be more likely to replace Daily and that aint gonna happen, so put him at left back where he has shown he can do a job, big mistake on Saturday in my view - this tactic of playing a dedicated defensive midfielder has shown time and time again not to work at this level.
    The tactic of playing Bailey and Racon hasn't worked either. I don't think playing a defensive midfielder is the problem, it's that we don't have a good partnership in central midfield. They've always looked more comfortable with a 3 man central midfield.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I think Semedo would be more likely to replace Daily and that aint gonna happen, so put him at left back where he has shown he can do a job, big mistake on Saturday in my view -this tactic of playing a dedicated defensive midfielder has shown time and time again not to work at this level.
    The tactic of playing Bailey and Racon hasn't worked either. I don't think playing a defensive midfielder is the problem, it's that we don't have a good partnership in central midfield. They've always looked more comfortable with a 3 man central midfield.

I think they are the preferred option as a central pairing, although that's not saying much. So bring Shelvey on at half time if one of them aint up to it?
  • I'd rather see Shelvey start over Racon personally. Works harder, scores more goals, creates more and gives us a decent set piece taker. Racon only better for me when it comes to having a bit more pace and skill.
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: forzajuve_27[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    Tactical nous? Yet when he actually does try something different he's tactically clueless and naive. It would be a tactical error to throw him in at centre back and if say he comes up against a striker that dominates in the air. If it didn't work his tactics would be critisized again, and his man management for "playing someone yet again out of position".

Well my main point was that if Semedo can handle Giampaolo Pazzini, a top Serie A striker who is probably going to move on to one of the best club's in the world at the end of the season then surely he can handle a League 1 striker playing for Gillingham.

Pazzini is a totally different proposition to the sort of strikers Semedo would be up against in Div 3. Pazz isn't a big burly striker who will win everything in the air, imo Semedo would struggle against that.

Btw I hope you aren't referring to the thieves of Turin as one of the best clubs in the world, I can't think of many top clubs in the world that would be 3-0 up against bottom of the table after 10 minutes and end up drawing 3-3??
  • Semedo at Cb is a good call, he played well against Swindon and Brentford there and is certainly better than Llera there. He may struggle against the big physical types but as has been said, can he be any worse than what we have seen recently.
  • Agree completely. Dailly has done well for most of this season, but he is getting on. I genuinely think Semedo is the best defensive player at the club, and he might be more inclined to play the ball out of defence intelligently as opposed to hoofing it in Akpo's vague direction. The only problem is we need someone to step up in midfield and win the ball and make the hard challenges, i dont think Spring is the man for that.
  • This may sound a little crazy but how about Dailly in the Semedo role?, his lack of pace would not be so exposed and would protect the back four well. Semedo plays CB and Dailly infront.
  • Not convinced this is a good idea. Semedo's best qualities are his harrassing, closing down and tackling. I'm not sure he has the discipline and man marking skills to play centre back. You can't moan at playing Bailey out of position then suggest we do the same thing to Semedo. Pardew may have signed Semedo as a centre back, but what did he know?
  • [cite]Posted By: Se12Addick[/cite]The only problem is we need someone to step up in midfield and win the ball and make the hard challenges, i dont think Spring is the man for that.
    That's where we probably have to go for something different, Spring will at least hold his position and be in the right places to defend. Racon certainly can't do it, and it wouldn't suit Bailey or Shelvey either. We don't have anyone other than Semedo who can really do that, and even he doesn't really put hard tackles in.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]This may sound a little crazy but how about Dailly in the Semedo role?, his lack of pace would not be so exposed and would protect the back four well. Semedo plays CB and Dailly infront.
    Wasn't a lack of pace Matt Holland's problem though? He couldn't close down quick enough, even though he could read the game fairly well.
  • Wasn't a lack of pace Matt Holland's problem though? He couldn't close down quick enough, even though he could read the game fairly well.[/quote]

Very true, was just a thought as to how we could replace Semedo if he drops back.
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]

Pazzini is a totally different proposition to the sort of strikers Semedo would be up against in Div 3. Pazz isn't a big burly striker who will win everything in the air, imo Semedo would struggle against that.

Btw I hope you aren't referring to the thieves of Turin as one of the best clubs in the world, I can't think of many top clubs in the world that would be 3-0 up against bottom of the table after 10 minutes and end up drawing 3-3??
    [/quote]

Well actually Pazzini is a big, burly striker who you would hoof the ball up to and everytime in that under 21 game, Semedo got the better of him so I'm sure that Semedo could cope against a League 1 striker!

Why are you calling us the thieves of Turin? And for you information we are one of the biggest clubs in the world and yes that was a disappointing result at the weekend but things like that happen all the time, how long have you been following football if you've never seen sides throw away heavy leads?
  • [cite]Posted By: forzajuve_27[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]

Well actually Pazzini is a big, burly striker who you would hoof the ball up to and everytime in that under 21 game, Semedo got the better of him so I'm sure that Semedo could cope against a League 1 striker!

Why are you calling us the thieves of Turin? And for you information we are one of the biggest clubs in the world and yes that was a disappointing result at the weekend but things like that happen all the time, how long have you been following football if you've never seen sides throw away heavy leads?[/quote]

Who cares about silly italian leagues, and juventus are no longer amongst the biggest clubs in the world imo

this is a charlton site, now back on topic ...
  • Think it was a friendly wind up Forza...
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]

Who cares about silly italian leagues, and juventus are no longer amongst the biggest clubs in the world imo

this is a charlton site, now back on topic ...

Yes this is a Charlton site but I'm not gonna have anyone disrespect my 2nd team, who I have supported longer than Charlton albeit only by a year. Also despite Serie A's decline it is still the 3rd best league in the world with some really good players that still play in it, and any proper football fan would tell you that Juventus are in fact one of the biggest clubs in the world and they would probably be in the top 5, definately in the top 10!

But yes lets get back to the main point of this: Playing Semedo at centreback, which imo would work because Pazzini = Very Good Striker, Semedo copes with him fine and the rest of the Italy Under 21 Squad which = A lot better than most of the players in League 1.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Think it was a friendly wind up Forza...[/quote]

May well be, it can be hard to tell tho when there's a lot of heated debating going on all the time lol
  • [cite]Posted By: forzajuve_27[/cite]After Saturday's embarassing pile of crap I think we really need to change the centrebacks. Llera for Sodje is the obvious change and I personally don't want to see Llera playing for us again against any of the better sides in the division and I'm still undecided about ever again. However with us being short on cover that surely means that Dailly would have to partner Sodje, now I think that Dailly had a good game before we crumbled, but you still can't excuse his performance after he let in that own-goal. He has been pretty solid for us so far but at his age I think he needs a rest and I think Semedo should be given the chance there to shine. Now I would bet that most of you had never even heard of Semedo or ever seen him play before he joined us and I know a lot of you are sceptical about him playing there.

However I have seen Semedo play before he joined us, albeit only once, that game however was Portugal Under 21's vs Italy's Under 21's at the 2007 Under 21 European Championship He started the match at centreback and played the full game and what impressed me is that on his own he totally nullfied Giampaolo Pazzini upfront for Italy (for those of you who don't know your Italian football too well, the bloke that scored the first hat-trick at Wembley for the Italy Under 21's against England). Now I don't want to base Semedo 's ability all on one game, but Pazzini is a very good player still today and is being linked with moves to Chelsea and Juventus(wheyhey) so to mark a guy out of a game with that much talent surely takes some doing, he also defended very well against a much more talented Italy side and Portugal managed to take Italy to penalties after the game finished 0-0 after extra time where they lost out.

Totally agree. I paired Sodje & Semedo in central defence on the 'Team & Formation' thread earlier.
    Radical changes needed after Saturday and the first priority is to sort out the wretched defence. No criticism of Solly, but please God Youga will be back soon - then we can use Solly in his natural position.
  • Richardson is getting worse game by game. Bring back Omo!!!!
  • Big and burly at under 6ft, new one on me! Anyway I still think Semedo would struggle against the sort of strikers we see each week in League 1

FYI Forza I have been watchin football a long time and yes I have seen teams throw away a 3 goal lead but you stated "one of the best clubs in the world", I assumed you were referring to playing ability and if that is so I can't see a team like Man Utd for example throwing away a 3 goal lead against Wolves.