Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Unusual Charlton Goals

Following on from the 'Headed Goals' thread, this reminded me of another goal scored by Matt Tees. Anyone remember the one when the keeper rushed out to clear the ball, whacked it straight at Matt as the ball ricocheted into the net off him from quite a way outside the box.

Who can remember any other unique(ish) Charlton goals?

Comments

• Jensen against Man City I think it was, think the same thing happened as you've mentioned there
  • Jim Melrose against West Ham in 1986 scoring after 9 seconds.
    Carl Leaburn scoring in the Anglo-Italian Cup against Ancona in 1993-94. Our first and only goal in European competition.
  • Carl Leaburn's hat trick at Ipswich !
  • I don't know if it's unique given the terrible defences we've had over the years but I remember a game at The Valley against Huddersfield where Les Berry and Tony Lange both left the ball for the other with a few minutes to go and a Huddersfield player (Lillis maybe) nipped in between the two of them and slid the ball into the net.

Charlton Athletic 1 Huddersfield Town 2.

I did wonder for a moment if the Elliot Llera incident against Stockport was going to be similar. The Les Berry one though was surreal in that both Lange and Berry just looked at the ball lying there for what seemed an age without either moving before the Huddersfield player nipped in.
  • Anyone remember Phil Chapple's own goal at Wolves, must have been around 94 or 95?

Cross came in from their winger, he slid across to block it, kicked it against the post and it rebounded into his face and then into the goal.
  • Didn't we concede one this season where the ball hit the post, bounced off Elliott's arse and went in?
  • Seem to remember (though I was quite young, so I could be mistaken) Peter Hunt scoring a goal at the Valley in the mid 70s, that entered the goal through the side-netting.
  • The strangest one to miss was the one that JJ scoed when Van der Sar rolled the ball out to a sleeping defender. I was watching this game with a friend in Thailand at the time. As the ball was safely in Van der Sar's hands, we flicked channels to check the score of another game. When we flicked back about 3 seconds later, we couldn't work out why the Charlton players were celebrating a goal.
  • the hat-trick of OG's at Sunderland
  • [cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite]Seem to remember (though I was quite young, so I could be mistaken) Peter Hunt scoring a goal at the Valley in the mid 70s, that entered the goal through the side-netting.

Ah yes, a very grumpy Wrexham refused to kick off for some time, which threatened an abandonment. I think when they did eventually kick off the belted it out of the ground.
  • Sponsored links:

• most bizarre one, but strangely very gratifying, was Jim Tolmie.
  • [cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite]Seem to remember (though I was quite young, so I could be mistaken) Peter Hunt scoring a goal at the Valley in the mid 70s, that entered the goal through the side-netting.

My recollection of the Peter Hunt goal is that it didn't actually go into the net. The shot went just outside the post, then rebounded off the wall behind the goal. The ref thought it had gone in and that it had bounced straight back out. To make matters even better/worse, I recall that it was the only goal of the game.

We've dealt with the Bob Curtis 60-yard free-kick on another thread.

What about Killer's FA Cup goal at Harlow? Left wing cross that flew straight in over the 'keeper's head.

I quite like Racon's 96th minute consolation at Bristol Rovers recently. Not a particularly unusual goal, just a great time to score.

Paul Mortimer's goal at Norwich must be up there somewhere too. Sheer brilliance.
  • Mendonca at oxford when he hit the post, smacked the keeper on the head and went in. Think johnny robinson got the other in a 2-1 win
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]My recollection of the Peter Hunt goal is that it didn't actually go into the net.

I think you are quite right, Dave. I have a mental picture of the Wrexham 'keeper gesticulating and indicating to the ref the path took - it had never gone in the net. It came shortly after a goal in a big game that was given at Chelsea.
  • Any Hunt, think it was his second of three against Stockport at home when his tame shot went through TWO defenders legs and in at a really slow speed.
  • edited March 2010
    remember an own goal when we beat birmingham at St andrews when the ball hit the post, smaked the birmingham player in the face and went in as an own goal, cant remember the season, think 95 or 96 when we won 3-2 i think?
  • [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]My recollection of the Peter Hunt goal is that it didn't actually go into the net.

I think you are quite right, Dave. I have a mental picture of the Wrexham 'keeper gesticulating and indicating to the ref the path took - it had never gone in the net. It came shortly after a goal in a big game that was given at Chelsea.

That was Alan Hudson for Chelsea v Ipswich. I was at the game.
  • Colchester away in the cup in the 80s. Own goal by them from 30 yards out. Didn't even seem to hit it very hard. We won 1 - 0
  • V Chelsea first game of the season. Konch had been sent off.

Their defending hauled down our striker and the ref blew for the pen only for Euell (I think) to net.

Ref allowed the goal. Didn't do us any favours as he would have had to sent off their defender and we would have had a pen.
  • [cite]Posted By: We are J Block[/cite]remember an own goal when we beat birmingham at St andrews when the ball hit the post, smaked the birmingham player in the face and went in as an own goal, cant remember the season, think 95 or 96 when we won 3-2 i think?

We won 4-3, it was on tele. Birmingham thugs attacked Junior Reds coaches after the game. Remember the goal you mentioned and also Leaburn injuring himself whilst scoring the 4th - think he whacked his head against the post.
  • Sponsored links:

• I seem to recall Newton scoring with a header from miles out lobbing the keeper against somebody.
  • I'm sure shaun newton scored with a header from the touchline just inside the opo's half can't remeber who was against but they were wearing yellow, and think was around 94ish..
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]I'm sure shaun newton scored with a header from the touchline just inside the opo's half can't remeber who was against but they were wearing yellow, and think was around 94ish..

He scored against Huddersield, think it was '98 - was from just outside the penalty area. Seem to remember the commentator on the end of season vid was quite amusing when describing that goal.
  • I remember a home match agaimst Watford and Steve Brown hit a speculative ball from halfway on the right hand touchline towards the Covered End and somehow it found its way into the net. Garry Nelson might have got something on it possibly or it caught a gust of wind.

Still they all count and we won that match!
  • Killer's drifting cross at Harlow in the Cup.and I seem to remember Leaburn bundling the Ref into the net along with the ball at the Valley once.

I think the Peter Hunt 'goal' was against Oldham.
  • [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]I seem to remember Leaburn bundling the Ref into the net along with the ball at the Valley once.

That's a good shout March. That was my eldest boys first game. Fatty Garland hit a free kick I think and the keeper fluffed it, Leaburn tried to bundle it home but the ref stopped it on the line and Carlo followed up the rebound. Would be a good one for 'what happened next' on QoS.

For the record it was Notts County at home and we won 5-1.
  • Anyone remember Barness' OG against Grimsby in the Upton Park days? He lobbed Bob Bolder from about 20 yards. Think we lost 3-1 and super Clive got a couple for Grimsby. Cold Tuesday night that was definitely grim!
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]the hat-trick of OG's at Sunderland

That was bloody funny.
  • I've mentioned this one before on another thread..it happened in a reserve game v Luton at Welling in the nineties
    we were awarded a free kick just outside the box and Kim Grant took a long run up with the aim of giving it thrash.

However he scuffed it,his boot went one way which the Luton goalie Fred Barber dived to save and the ball trickled into the opposite corner of the net the keeper was fuming.
  • The own goal that won us the Colchester FA Cup tie - the defender was chasing back a loose ball and just as Alec Chamberlain was about to pick it up, the defender poked it through his legs and it rolled slowly into the empty net...with Chamberlain in vain pursuit. There wasn't a Charlton player within about 30 yards. We won 1-0 and didn't register a single shot all game and should have lost about 4-0!