Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Watching England is a bit like watching Charlton

2»

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]not arguing that Heskey isnt as good as we have got, but really, how many of the top 6 countries would he get a place in?

The simple question is does he improve our team? And if it's yes, then it doesn't matter if he's workhorse or isn't a big name. Have you heard of Felipe Melo? Voted '2009 Worst Soccer player' by an Italian magazine and has had a largely failed spell at Juventus. He's also the bedrock of Brazil's midfield.

On pure talent Defoe is a better player, and would give the teamsheet a better 'look' in terms of star quality. But Heskey has proven to be a good enabler, and thats more valuable than his prestige value or whether he would fit into other sides.
  • no argument here Sussex.
    Just a slight feeling of disappointment that after all these years we dont have someone who can do this job AND have a better eye for goal
  • [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]no argument here Sussex.
    Just a slight feeling of disappointment that after all these years we dont have someone who can do this job AND have a better eye for goal
    That's the thing, England aren't that good.

Didn't like the idea of Defoe and Rooney together, still don't after the game on Wednesday. England only need to win 1-0, they usually defend well with the best team out there, and if Heskey gets the best out of Rooney and it gets Gerrard and Lampard more chances it's worth playing him. Happy for Crouch to play, though I can see why Heskey has played instead of him for a lot of games.
  • [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]no argument here Sussex.

I feel your pain. Isn't Rooney's club form enough to show that he can do it up front on his own? This would give us the opportunity to get Gerrard out of the midfield and into his best position:

Rooney
    Gerrard
    Milner Barry Lampard Lennon/SWP/Walcott
    Cole Rio Terry Johnson
    James
  • Owen out for rest of season now, so that's the end to any speculation about him.

Still horrifies me that Carlton Cole gets in the squad ahead of Darren Bent, but then Benty has lost his scoring touch of late.
  • So true Weegie
    A man we called Carthorse at the World Cup?
    OK he has developed - as Curbs said he would, if a little slower than expected, - but for goodness sake, is he really among the best we can produce as a footballing nation?
  • I think there's an (incorrect) assumption that Defoe and Bent are the same type of striker, therefore there's only room for one of them in the squad.

Bent has scored more goals than any other English player except Rooney since he's played in the Premiership. However, I'm not sure he'd be quite as effective playing against teams/nations that are likely to defend deep against us. He has been more successful for counter-attacking teams like Charlton (at the time) and Sunderland than he was for Spurs.
  • I don't see the point of Carlton Cole when we have Heskey and Crouch clearly ahead of him and not too different in style. Personally I think Bent is never going to get a crack at International football however Agbonlahor should be in the sqaud. I think he would scre defenders with his pace and would be excellent off the bench.