Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southend v Charlton - Post match views

Comments

• Options
    That Mooney miss doesn't top Varney's against Burnley.
  • Options
    Or Varney's against QPR
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Granted Oggy, im only 26.

It is all about opinions Johnny and like i said i dont get involved in the chants. However, my opinion is that David Mooney is a Kent League player.

Very true mate, thats why i didnt want to just dismiss you or get in a debate

my opinion is good in this league, needs some work to be a CC player, better option then Akp for us, i think he makes intelligent runs, most of the time uses the ball well and enables other players to have space. granted his finishing could do with the practice and needs to get more strength but he does have the potential to be a goalscorer getting in the positions he does
  • Options
    Mooney's strengths are mainly the kind of things that go unnoticed. With someone like Akpo is clear he's big, strong and can be a handful for defenders on his day. Mooney has a better touch and football brain (though Burton is better), but it's obvious he's not strong and can't really create a chance for himself out of nothing.
  • Options
    The thing is that we should be creating chances with the midfield we have and so Mooney getting into good positions should be expected at this level. Give me 90 minutes and i think i could get a few strikes on goal against some the defences we have faced this season! He is too lightweight, isnt fast and his shooting ability is dire. Akpo is probably just as bad but at least he has a bit of strength with his back to goal....and he looks handy on the dancefloor. ;-)
  • Options
    I think it was Exiled who posted a pretty fair assessment of David Mooney.

IMO he is a bit lightweight, maybe a bit scared of getting hurt against the more ruthless great lump CBs in this league, and sometimes a bit feeble with his shot on goal.

Watching the Southend highlights with that horrific miss, he seemed to take all night to even get his shot away - and even then didn't clinically "pass" the ball into the gap between the last defender on the line and the post.

Now if I was Parky (which no doubt you're all glad I'm not), I'd sit Mooney down in front of that video and get him to tell me what he could have done better........... but IMO, he just needs to be sharper in his reaction and decisive where he needed to place that shot. Sometimes all it takes, rather than blasting it hopefully - is to actually look up and place the shot.

And when we play to feet Mooney is always a better player and Charlton a better team, rather than the mindless hoofing the ball towards him that makes him look hopeless too.

But where few give Mooney credit, is that he's always in the right place at the right time.
    And that's crucial, of course. So credit due for getting that part of goalscoring right.

Which is where his football intelligence comes in. He does read the game well, his movement is good and he creates space not only for himself but also for others, by drawing defenders away for a team mate to take advantage.

An example was the last week's game against Brighton ...... Reid (?) brought the ball to the goaline/edge of box, Mooney moved towards the ball taking his defender with him - and left Racon unmarked with time and space just inside the box with a free shot - Racon should have scored, somehow didn't, the ball scrambled away and Brighton scored on the breakaway.

The crowd shouted abuse at Mooney for that, because perhaps they thought he should be standing still with his marker waiting for the ball on the penalty spot.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]An example was the last week's game against Brighton ...... Reid (?) brought the ball to the goaline/edge of box, Mooney moved towards the ball taking his defender with him - and left Racon unmarked with time and space just inside the box with a free shot - Racon should have scored, somehow didn't, the ball scrambled away and Brighton scored on the breakaway.

The crowd shouted abuse at Mooney for that, because perhaps they thought he should be standing still with his marker waiting for the ball on the penalty spot.
    Like I said, his strengths and what he offers goes unnoticed. I didn't even realise he did that, but I can often see what he's trying to do, intelligent things which Akpo (or McLeod/Dickson) wouldn't even see or attempt.

He's not a great finisher, strong or particularly quick, but there are things he offers that at this level are useful. Ideally we'd have signed someone better on loan, but there aren't many, if any players available to us who are that much better.
  • Options
    Someone said to me at Southend that Mooney, Sam and some others are good players when we are on top but not effective enough when we are not.

Just hope Burton and/or McKenzie can get fit ASAP as both gives us more than Mooney although I can see his skill and movement are good while he has scored a few goals.

But it was a horrible miss
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Someone said to me at Southend that Mooney, Sam and some others are good players when we are on top but not effective enough when we are not.
    Can't disagree with that really. They have ability, especially Sam, but they'll never "take the game by the scruff of the neck" as some would say.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]But it was a horrible miss

Funny thing ...... this time last year, it was Burton who was getting lambasted for the horrible miss.
    This season, a more confident Burton has put several of those type chances away.

Players who don't get in the right position at the right time don't miss as many chances.
    Or score as many goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Someone said to me at Southend that Mooney, Sam and some others are good players when we are on top but not effective enough when we are not.

I must admit I was thinking the same.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]

I must admit I was thinking the same.

Don't forget, when we're under pressure in defending our own 18 yard line, the only ball that the Sam, Mooney type players get is the long hoof out of defence.

When we're defending in numbers, Sam, Mooney are often isolated and outnumbered with big lump defenders climbing all over them facing the oncoming high ball.

Play balls to feet and a passing game, Sam, Mooney, Racon etc come alive.
  • Options
    And another thing .... get some proper boots
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]But it was a horrible miss

Funny thing ...... this time last year, it was Burton who was getting lambasted for the horrible miss.
    This season, a moreconfidentBurton has put several of those type chances away.

Players who don't get in the right position at the right time don't miss as many chances.
    Or score as many goals.

I didn't think Burton had a shot last season ;)

In all seriousness though, I don't think Deon had any howlers last season. He was playing in a team bereft of confidence, and the Championship may be a step too far for him anyway. That said, in a more close-knit squad (which most of us agree we have now) I think he would do a bit better than last year if we do go up.

Back to Mooney and his miss. I've only seen the replay once, but was this much worse than Racon's against Brighton? Racon's shot wouldn't have even reached the goal line.
  • Options
    All strikers have horrible misses on their CV (Benty at Boro anyone?), just like all goalies have a clanger or 2 on their CV (Deano vs Wallsall (?) in the promotion season?). Burton and Akpo have both missed very good chances in recent games.

It's never fair to judge players on the more extrodinary happenings - no-one would dream of assessing Lisbie on the basis of his hat-trick vs Liverpool for example (well maybe Pardew would on YouTube).

I like Mooney, but I know he's no world beater and I doubt he or Parky think he is either. Trouble is none of our other strikers are either so it's not like he's glaringly worse than anyone else - it's not like he's keeping Rooney out of the team so I cannot see where demoralising the lad by chanting for him to be substituted is going to help matters. In fact, it's bloody mindless.

I do wonder if some of our fans actually want us to win sometimes.
  • Options
    Nice professional articles here: http://southend.fan247.net/article.aspx?ArticleID=1658

"But the arrival of 2,200 gobby Londoners and one greedy Judas bastard of an opposition captain helped fire up the home fans."

"why only a joke manager like Phil Parkinson would possibly choose that odious ginger wanker as a captain."

"with Bailey giving the finger to the former in a gesture that confirmed his utter unprofessionalism. Phil Parkinson, probably still bitter about failing to win THAT title race in 2006, was as ever a total prat after the game,"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Nice professional articles here:http://southend.fan247.net/article.aspx?ArticleID=1658

"But the arrival of 2,200 gobby Londoners and one greedy Judas bastard of an opposition captain helped fire up the home fans."

"why only a joke manager like Phil Parkinson would possibly choose that odious ginger wanker as a captain."

"with Bailey giving the finger to the former in a gesture that confirmed his utter unprofessionalism. Phil Parkinson, probably still bitter about failing to win THAT title race in 2006, was as ever a total prat after the game,"

LOL. Bitter? What a surprise.
  • Options
    Wasn`t there but I can`t really go along with all this performance doesn`t matter only the result stuff. Sure its great when you play badly yet still pull out a result but to play generally poorly week after week in the end is going to get you poor results not good ones. I have certainly voiced that Parky should be given a fair crack of the whip and have supported him right up until the last six or seven performances. He clearly is not making good enough use of what I consider a very useful division three squad. We should be on top of our game by this stage of the season yet we clearly are not. Sorry but I think that Parky is starting to look like the liability many on here thought he would be. I will now enter my bunker and don protective clothing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Wasn`t there but I can`t really go along with all this performance doesn`t matter only the result stuff. Sure its great when you play badly yet still pull out a result but to play generally poorly week after week in the end is going to get you poor results not good ones. I have certainly voiced that Parky should be given a fair crack of the whip and have supported him right up until the last six or seven performances. He clearly is not making good enough use of what I consider a very useful division three squad. We should be on top of our game by this stage of the season yet we clearly are not. Sorry but I think that Parky is starting to look like the liability many on here thought he would be. I will now enter my bunker and don protective clothing.

I agree with you.

Something is wrong. That is in a large part down to the players and perhaps some unsettling injuries but Parky doesn't seem to be consistently getting the most of the squad and the first half v Southend was an example of that. We weren't terrible but we weren't good either.

Still think he needs to be judged in May though not March.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]........ I will now enter my bunker and don protective clothing.
    You will need it! Be strong and don't take the insults too personally. I am right behind you. Sort of. But don't count on it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Wasn`t there but I can`t really go along with all this performance doesn`t matter only the result stuff. Sure its great when you play badly yet still pull out a result but to play generally poorly week after week in the end is going to get you poor results not good ones. I have certainly voiced that Parky should be given a fair crack of the whip and have supported him right up until the last six or seven performances. He clearly is not making good enough use of what I consider a very useful division three squad. We should be on top of our game by this stage of the season yet we clearly are not. Sorry but I think that Parky is starting to look like the liability many on here thought he would be. I will now enter my bunker and don protective clothing.

I agree with you.

Something is wrong. That is in a large part down to the players and perhaps some unsettling injuries but Parky doesn't seem to beconsistentlygetting the most of the squad and the first half v Southend was an example of that. We weren't terrible but we weren't good either.

Still think he needs to be judged in May though not March.
    Something isn't right but have to agree judge him in May. Now would be a great time to go on a run, and we've at least got 2 wins in 3 which is an improvement on the last couple of months.

One thing we do need again is a settled line up. We need to find our best XI and play them. Two years ago Pardew got that very wrong. I hope Parky doesn't make that same mistake.
  • Options
    Into the New Year we were very one paced, and Parky tried to shake things up by signing Reid.
    Then after Tranmere, he picked players with quick feet for Walsall and Swindon.

It didn't quite come off, but you could see what he was trying to do with Sam Sodje back, Waggy and Reid starting, Akpo up front and Racon reinstated at CM.

After Brizzle, Basey was stretchered out and replaced with Jacko.

Trouble was the CM unit wasn't totally effective - and truth be known, it's still as much a problem area as our lack of a clinical finisher.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Although i dont get involved with those sort of chants he is the worst striker ive seen at Charlton since ive been watching them.

Fecking hell, I can probably give you at least five off the top of my head who were worse than Mooney, at least he runs his balls off no matter how limited he might be.

I'll start you off with Mike Small and let everyone else take it from there....
  • Options
    mcleod, dickson, fleetwood
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Although i dont get involved with those sort of chants he is the worst striker ive seen at Charlton since ive been watching them.

Fecking hell, I can probably give you at least five off the top of my head who were worse than Mooney, at least he runs his balls off no matter how limited he might be.

I'll start you off with Mike Small and let everyone else take it from there....

If you read my comments further down im only 26. Mike Small, didnt he make like 2 appearances in 1994, when i was 10? I know a little bit more about football now and running your bollox off doesnt impress me, not in division 3 anyway.
  • Options
    I consider Mooney better than Kim Grant and Bradley Allen
  • Options
    Cant quote from the previous page but thanks Curb It for making me feel bad....

There's me feeling good about myself giving it to a young kid only to have stolen it from a players mum.